• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Rice super thread.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He cannot. The team can't either.

This is why cases take so long to come to conclusion as it is because once you hand it down you are bound by that decision. Double jeopardy doesn't just apply in court cases. It's a founding principle of our democracy and the league and/or team would be sued heavily if they violate it and they would lose.

There is ZERO chance anything more happens to Rice by either the courts or the league. And the team can't cut him now or they would be sued over it and would lose.

This is why this just because a huge nightmare for the league. Their hands are tied and they are stuck with Goodell's original punishment.

Double jeopardy only applies to the government. That said, there's gotta be something in the CBA that bars Goodell from handing down a further punishment for the same thing. Maybe he can find a loophole and say that Ray Rice wasn't forthcoming when he spoke with the NFL about the incident. If so, then he can treat that as a separate violation and punish him for it.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every ravens fan i've seen in this thread wants him off the team. With this new video coming to light, I dont think Rice has many fans in any city.

You should see the Ravens' specific forums. It isn't pretty.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would cutting him be different from letting him sit? He still gets paid either way.

The question came up about the league simply giving relief to the Ravens for at least part of the money owed and just send him packing. A sports attorney commenting on it said releasing him only after this video came out and after not only a punishment had already been handed down, but he actually already started serving it, would open them up to a law suit and there is little chance he wouldn't win it.

The NFL is in some murky water at best and have a massive PR nightmare on their hands with very little they can do to save face of right this injustice.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a court of law the video actually would probably help Rice.

She slapped Rice in the face before he even gets onto the elevator. That was the first blow. He does initiate the conflict once inside the elevator but the damaging blow from Rice comes as she rushes at him. The only decisive blow in the fight is a text book self defense blow.

The idea that men should never hit woman isn't a law. Men have just as much right to protect themselves from a woman as a woman does from a man. Despite what people want to think, domestic violence is a two way street and both parties are at fault in that video more or less which in a lot of ways nullifies what can be done to Rice legally.

Please. Don't get in the elevator if you feel threatened. Be real. He never felt 'threatened' by her, he just got pissed off. I've got pretty pissed at women too before, but I prefer just going and finding a different woman in that circumstance. - And it's a lot more fun.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every ravens fan i've seen in this thread wants him off the team. With this new video coming to light, I dont think Rice has many fans in any city.

In this thread, yes.

Old School and Money have yet to chime in, though and are conspicuous by their absence's.

I'm also betting that his first home game, he's cheered when he takes the field.

OK, just scanned up and Money has checked in. His reaction to this is negative. Still waiting to hear from Old school.

Last edited by a moderator:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please. Don't get in the elevator if you feel threatened. Be real. He never felt 'threatened' by her, he just got pissed off. I've got pretty pissed at women too before, but I prefer just going and finding a different woman in that circumstance. - And it's a lot more fun.

I'm not trying to justify it...I'm just saying what a court of law would see from the video. She struck the first blow and the only significant blow in the fight was a self defense blow when she came rushing in to fight with Rice. Those are facts not opinions.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, in a court of law, the use of violence to defend yourself has to correspond to the level of threat you reasonably thought you faced. I doubt he ever thought she was gonna knock him the fuck out.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As punishment, Ray Rice should be forced to fight Wladimir Klitschko in a 12 round boxing match, or fight Cain Velasquez in a MMA match.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part that I agree with the most. I dont personally agree that its up to the nfl to police crimes in our country, but supposedly we do have a legal system for that. Their bias in favor of wealthy or famous people is beyond the point of ridiculous. The way this system works, we are no better than any average third world country. If they had done their jobs the way we pay them to, the nfl wouldnt/shouldnt have even had a chance to get involved because little ray would have/should have been in jail where he belongs. It has been however, stunning, to see the level of support he has received from the ravens team and fans on the field. Embarassing to say the least.

I'm with you fully. I'd rather this type of stuff be handled through the legal system. And yep, if he's in jail he can't play, so no need to suspend him.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching ESPN as they commented on this and Herm Edwards was sitting next to a guy I didn't recognize. He spoke rather eloquently, so I'm assuming he was a lawyer.

Herm said, "My wife is in CA and she got our daughters up to take them to school. They're 8 and 9 years old. They saw this on TV. My wife now has to explain, to 8 and 9 year old girls, what domestic violence is. The people of Baltimore cheered when Ray Rice took the field. If this is your daughter on that tape - do you still cheer?"

The man sitting next to him said, "And I don't get why they were cheering. Are you applauding because he got off light?"

Herm:"We had the chance to do the right thing when this broke over a month ago - and we didn't. I said this was going to bite us in the ass and it has. We have to do the right thing here".

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all those brilliant women wearing his jersey feel real good about themselves.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this thread, yes.

Old School and Money have yet to chime in, though and are conspicuous by their absence's.

I'm also betting that his first home game, he's cheered when he takes the field.

OK, just scanned up and Money has checked in. His reaction to this is negative. Still waiting to hear from Old school.

Dolemite censored is another. He was big on the "bitches be crazy" defense in a couple of other threads...that it was probably her fault, etc.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to justify it...I'm just saying what a court of law would see from the video. She struck the first blow and the only significant blow in the fight was a self defense blow when she came rushing in to fight with Rice. Those are facts not opinions.

After re-watching the video, at most she slapped him halfheartedly and then he hits her, she walks forward and he knocks her cold out. Easy assault case.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just sad by our legal system that Ray Rice basically got a slap on the wrist and gets to go to counseling while if I did something like this which I would never do Id be locked up, lose my job, and would lose the right to see my son. Money and fame and you can do whatever you want. Just fucked up. Just saying.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After re-watching the video, at most she slapped him halfheartedly and then he hits her, she walks forward and he knocks her cold out. Easy assault case.

I have seen some on twitter saying that he hit her hard, but the railing knocked her out and he perhaps didn't mean to hit her that hard. But that BS argument goes out the window when you see how he reacts to her lifeless body. Just stands there, then moves her around, then drags her out and leaves her laying there. No effort to see if she is even breathing.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made that point to show that size isn't everything when it comes to fighting or who can deal the most damage. Of course in this particular instance Ray is much stronger than his wife so she couldn't have given as much as she got. But saying a woman knocking a man out isn't as bad as the other way around no matter the circumstances is wrong to me and is the main point I'm trying to make.

I understood your point.
And I'll add, what weight class does Rhonda Rousey fight in again?
115lbs to 118lbs.

She could kick Rice's ass.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just sad by our legal system that Ray Rice basically got a slap on the wrist and gets to go to counseling while if I did something like this which I would never do Id be locked up, lose my job, and would lose the right to see my son. Money and fame and you can do whatever you want. Just fucked up. Just saying.

been this way for a long time. About the only time fame makes things worse for you is if you shoot a hole in your leg in NY.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope all those brilliant women wearing his jersey feel real good about themselves.

I don't think it's fair to judge anyone for their actions/reactions before the facts (actual video footage) came out. If you do, then you need to sit in judgement of all fans in this league who pretend the slew of DV incidents prior to this didn't happen simply because there is no video.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's fair to judge anyone for their actions/reactions before the facts (actual video footage) came out. If you do, then you need to sit in judgement of all fans in this league who pretend the slew of DV incidents prior to this didn't happen simply because there is no video.

before this video came out we knew that he knocked this woman out. Now we see how.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't look good for the NFL that Ray McDonald was playing yesterday, either.