• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Rice super thread.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The US has always had a long legal tradition barring ex post facto penalties. Its even in the Constitution.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddell has talked about getting the call wrong. Maybe he'll use the emergence of this video as grounds to extend the suspension indefinitely. He should be out of the league.

He cannot. The team can't either.

This is why cases take so long to come to conclusion as it is because once you hand it down you are bound by that decision. Double jeopardy doesn't just apply in court cases. It's a founding principle of our democracy and the league and/or team would be sued heavily if they violate it and they would lose.

There is ZERO chance anything more happens to Rice by either the courts or the league. And the team can't cut him now or they would be sued over it and would lose.

This is why this just because a huge nightmare for the league. Their hands are tied and they are stuck with Goodell's original punishment.

KwitYerWhinin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the bigger story is how the hell did he not get charged with an actual crime? Instead of the slap on the wrist he got from the prosecutors office.

This is the part that I agree with the most. I dont personally agree that its up to the nfl to police crimes in our country, but supposedly we do have a legal system for that. Their bias in favor of wealthy or famous people is beyond the point of ridiculous. The way this system works, we are no better than any average third world country. If they had done their jobs the way we pay them to, the nfl wouldnt/shouldnt have even had a chance to get involved because little ray would have/should have been in jail where he belongs. It has been however, stunning, to see the level of support he has received from the ravens team and fans on the field. Embarassing to say the least.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sadly you are probably right. The NFL likely thought "we have the tape, we will never release it, so lets do what we want and get a star back out there".

I hope this bites Goodell right in the ass

funny as hell that they would risk all this for fricken ray rice.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddell has talked about getting the call wrong. Maybe he'll use the emergence of this video as grounds to extend the suspension indefinitely. He should be out of the league.

Goodell never had the power before he handed out this suspension to go more than 2 games and he most certainly isn't going to have the power to retroactively change the punishment.

Goodell just can't suspend willy nilly. Every punishment he has ever handed out is a case where both the infraction and the penalty for it is laid out pretty specifically in the CBA. It just turned out that domestic assault was defined enough as some people would like to see (and that is why they changed the rule almost immediately).

People like to make Goodell to be some sort of heavy handed authoritarian. He's not. In almost every case he is just doing what the CBA agreed to by the owners and the players tells him he should do.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the part that I agree with the most. I dont personally agree that its up to the nfl to police crimes in our country, but supposedly we do have a legal system for that. Their bias in favor of wealthy or famous people is beyond the point of ridiculous. The way this system works, we are no better than any average third world country. If they had done their jobs the way we pay them to, the nfl wouldnt/shouldnt have even had a chance to get involved because little ray would have/should have been in jail where he belongs. It has been however, stunning, to see the level of support he has received from the ravens team and fans on the field. Embarassing to say the least.

I know in Colorado I've heard of guys raising their voices in their yard and being sent to domestic violence courses for it and jail. If I would've done this, I'd just expect jail time. It is bullshit.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is why cases take so long to come to conclusion as it is because once you hand it down you are bound by that decision. Double jeopardy doesn't just apply in court cases. It's a founding principle of our democracy and the league and/or team would be sued heavily if they violate it and they would lose.

There is ZERO chance anything more happens to Rice by either the courts or the league. And the team can't cut him now or they would be sued over it and would lose.

This is why this just because a huge nightmare for the league. Their hands are tied and they are stuck with Goodell's original punishment.

If better not do ANYTHING wrong from here on out though. A jaywalking charge will be a season ender at this point.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding has always been that if the cops are called to a domestic disturbance, SOMEONE always leaves with the police and typically to jail. Even if it was a misunderstanding, cops don't let the two parties stay together.

Yet in this case where it was obvious that video likely existed and I can't imagine there were no marks on that chicks face, the police get starstruck and let them leave together. What a crock of crap.

No doubt he received superstar treatment. You would like to believe that they would handled this case completely different if it were just some average guy. Otherwise - there is a very good chance that the guy beats his girlfriend/wife at a later date & the damage is significantly worse.

I really hope that this reflects poorly not only on the NFL but also on the NJ cops & legal system. They should be completely embarrassed.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If better not do ANYTHING wrong from here on out though. A jaywalking charge will be a season ender at this point.

May not matter. This is now a PR nightmare & the Ravens will be under pressure to cut ties with Rice. If that occurs I have a hard time believing that any other team would pick him up - at least not this season.

If he stays on the Ravens & plays the crowd reaction is going to be brutal especially at away games.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding has always been that if the cops are called to a domestic disturbance, SOMEONE always leaves with the police and typically to jail.

It's pretty recently that that's been the case. I'd be shocked if it were the rule in all states, and surprised if it were already the rule even in a majority.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
May not matter. This is now a PR nightmare & the Ravens will be under pressure to cut ties with Rice. If that occurs I have a hard time believing that any other team would pick him up - at least not this season.

If he stays on the Ravens & plays the crowd reaction is going to be brutal especially at away games.

Try ONLY at away games. Raven fans will cheer him - they already have.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know in Colorado I've heard of guys raising their voices in their yard and being sent to domestic violence courses for it and jail. If I would've done this, I'd just expect jail time. It is bullshit.

In a court of law the video actually would probably help Rice.

She slapped Rice in the face before he even gets onto the elevator. That was the first blow. He does initiate the conflict once inside the elevator but the damaging blow from Rice comes as she rushes at him. The only decisive blow in the fight is a text book self defense blow.

The idea that men should never hit woman isn't a law. Men have just as much right to protect themselves from a woman as a woman does from a man. Despite what people want to think, domestic violence is a two way street and both parties are at fault in that video more or less which in a lot of ways nullifies what can be done to Rice legally.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ray Rice isn't in prison because his wife refused to press charges. I'm not a legal expert but I suspect at any given time she could potentially change her mind and, since he's never been charged, double jeopardy won't be a consideration.

I have no idea what the CBA says though.

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silver lining in this case, just as in the OJ acquittal -- the case has gotten so much publicity, and it's clear that he's so lucky to have escaped with limited penalty, that the deterrence effect on the next bastard is almost as strong as if justice had been done in the first place.

I don't think very many men came away from the OJ case thinking it as safe to kill their wives or ex-wives (Robert Blake is one possible exception, however). And I don't think very many players are learning from this incident (and the subsequent rule change) that it's OK to punch their women either.

fredmccallyRTR

Hoopla Cash
$ 490.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just made sure the Ravens weren't on the Broncos schedule. Screw booing him, don't go to the game if your team plays the Ravens. Make sure you and especially your wallet sits that one out.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Try ONLY at away games. Raven fans will cheer him - they already have.

every ravens fan i've seen in this thread wants him off the team. With this new video coming to light, I dont think Rice has many fans in any city.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many states have regulations in place to diffuse domestic disturbance situations. Cops are required to arrest someone and remove them from the altercation and it usually is the guy. Why the cops did not arrest Rice and the attorneys charge him is beyond me. Raven season ticket holders maybe?

The Ravens can't cut him, but they sure don't have to play him. If he does see a down he will be booed loudly even by his own fans.

How would cutting him be different from letting him sit? He still gets paid either way.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many states have regulations in place to diffuse domestic disturbance situations. Cops are required to arrest someone and remove them from the altercation and it usually is the guy. Why the cops did not arrest Rice and the attorneys charge him is beyond me. Raven season ticket holders maybe?

How would cutting him be different from letting him sit? He still gets paid either way.

Because there may be rules against a team taking action in which a player has already been penalized.

However, there are no rules stating he has to be active, or play at all.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can tell you right now, that the reaction in Baltimore is ugly (as it would be in any NFL city). People are a combination of outraged, disgusted and betrayed. It will only get worse if Rice plays another down for this team.