• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ray Rice super thread.

Y

Yapp14

I believe much like the NBA did with Donald Sterling, the NFL is guilty of compensating for public opinion. This is not the first time an NFL player has committed an act of domestic violence.

I am in no way shape or form condoning RR's behavior or actions.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The outrage, IMO, would have been much less had the NFL suspended him correctly the first time around.

If Rice had gotten an 8 game ban, or a 10 game ban, then the video coming out wouldn't have been "as" big of a deal.

The fact that people were already pissed about the minimal 2 game suspension when the video finally surfaced just re-opened a fresh wound.

This additional suspension is reactionary because the NFL failed to do the proper job the first time. Chances are, if he had been suspended for a more appropriate length of time, he wouldn't have been cut, and this video coming out would have still been shocking, but the reaction wouldn't have been as harsh.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The outrage, IMO, would have been much less had the NFL suspended him correctly the first time around.

If Rice had gotten an 8 game ban, or a 10 game ban, then the video coming out wouldn't have been "as" big of a deal.

The fact that people were already pissed about the minimal 2 game suspension when the video finally surfaced just re-opened a fresh wound.

This additional suspension is reactionary because the NFL failed to do the proper job the first time. Chances are, if he had been suspended for a more appropriate length of time, he wouldn't have been cut, and this video coming out would have still been shocking, but the reaction wouldn't have been as harsh.

I agree! Everyone knew just from the first video it was bad and the ridiculous punishment was a joke. The new video just serves to reinforce all the opinions from the outset and leads to lots more questions about what was actually known in the commissioner's office.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this video would have been a big deal whenever it came out. They're obviously arguing going in, which is why they're getting looks from passerby's . Then when they get in there, he hits her in the face and then just unloads on her face, and not in the sexy **** way either. Don't kid yourself, this video would have caused an uproar whenever it was released. They could have banned him for life 4 months ago and the video come out today. It would still be a big deal. When that level of violence against a woman is caught on tape, good luck PR'ing your way thru that. I would have been disgusted to have to share a lockerroom with that guy

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's bullshit is that he wasn't banned and cut immediately. That's what is bullshit. I feel nothing for Ray Rice, I hope he's waking up to a cold lonely world this morning. There is nothing unfair happening to him right now. he's deserved it all along.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. This just should have happened to him months ago. He should be either in jail or out on bail, awaiting trial. This whole situation is about a weak-willed hot head, a money grubbing ho with no self-respect, a self-absorbed, egomaniac commissioner & an all-powerful entity that somehow is able to make it's own rules outside of the "laws of the land".

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate that this video was released. Tmz has no soul and i don't consider it news, I consider it trash. However, the videos popular reaction is to be disgusted. We already knew he knocked his fiancé out. What did you expect it to look like? I have had no desire to watch it, but I must thank espn for shoving it in my face on sportscenter. A big fuck you to espn.

I can understand this take & I certainly don't believe that ESPN was motivated to show this because they believe that they are doing the right thing. However - I believe that the end result of all this could be for the better good of everyone. This should certainly help reduce domestic violence to a certain degree & certainly will in terms of professional athletes. From that standpoint this is a good thing (with all respect to Rice's wife - not him - who gives a crap about that POS).

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's bullshit is that he wasn't banned and cut immediately. That's what is bullshit. I feel nothing for Ray Rice, I hope he's waking up to a cold lonely world this morning. There is nothing unfair happening to him right now. he's deserved it all along.

I get the knee-jerk outrage over this because of (and only because of) the video), but how on earth can you rationally say this? Do you have any comprehension of how many players with domestic violence incidents/arrests/convictions played NFL football this past weekend? The very great majority of whom did not receive anything as far as a suspension goes. You can't set that kind of precedent as a league and then lower the boom on one specific player whose ugly incident happens to be on camera. The message that everyone is sending with this is...it's only a horrific act if it's caught on camera. With multiple offenders like Brandon Marshall...we'll just put our heads between our legs and pretend it never happened. With a convicted Greg Hardy...who cares, right? I mean...he was convicted, but there was no video so whatever. I personally think dragging a girl across the floor by her hair, slapping her around, throwing her on bed covered with automatic weapons and then looking her in the eyes and threatening to kill her would probably look pretty bad on camera, but I guess that's just me.

I thought Rice was a punk before all of this happened. I am extremely happy he is no longer a Raven. I actually wanted him cut over the offseason. All this being said...he should be able to have a 2nd chance in this league. So many before him have gotten that chance AND so many after him will as well.

Y

Yapp14

I can understand this take & I certainly don't believe that ESPN was motivated to show this because they believe that they are doing the right thing. However - I believe that the end result of all this could be for the better good of everyone. This should certainly help reduce domestic violence to a certain degree & certainly will in terms of professional athletes. From that standpoint this is a good thing (with all respect to Rice's wife - not him - who gives a crap about that POS).
One thing I hope that comes out of this is the NFLPA gives in to establishing very strict guidelines on domestic violence offenses and related consequences. Sadly, this will happen again

Y

Yapp14

I get the knee-jerk outrage over this because of (and only because of) the video), but how on earth can you rationally say this? Do you have any comprehension of how many players with domestic violence incidents/arrests/convictions played NFL football this past weekend? The very great majority of whom did not receive anything as far as a suspension goes. You can't set that kind of precedent as a league and then lower the boom on one specific player whose ugly incident happens to be on camera. The message that everyone is sending with this is...it's only a horrific act if it's caught on camera. With multiple offenders like Brandon Marshall...we'll just put our heads between our legs and pretend it never happened. With a convicted Greg Hardy...who cares, right? I mean...he was convicted, but there was no video so whatever. I personally think dragging a girl across the floor by her hair, slapping her around, throwing her on bed covered with automatic weapons and then looking her in the eyes and threatening to kill her would probably look pretty bad on camera, but I guess that's just me.

I thought Rice was a punk before all of this happened. I am extremely happy he is no longer a Raven. I actually wanted him cut over the offseason. All this being said...he should be able to have a 2nd chance in this league. So many before him have gotten that chance AND so many after him will as well.
Agreed!

StoningtonQB

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She married him for money and now he is out of the NFL before he can make anything substantial. I'll bet anyone she will file for divorce now that he's worthless. It's highly doubtful he has saved enough money to retire.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotsa finger-pointing between the NFL and the NJ State Police this morning regarding the elevator video, who had access to it and who saw it when...

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lotsa finger-pointing between the NFL and the NJ State Police this morning regarding the elevator video, who had access to it and who saw it when...

It will be interesting to hear from NJ State Police and DA's office why Rice was given the deal he got. Just because his fiancee didn't want to press charges doesn't prevent the state from doing so.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting a chuckle out of all the post that start with..."I don't condone women beating".

You think?:doh: I'm still waiting for some hillbilly to log in and say he supports wife beating. So from now on lets just assume all the fine members of the Hoop are not in favour domestic violence and get down to the real issue. That being, how we can use this incident to rid the league of that festering shit stain Goodell.

Melman

DA BEARS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,046.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to hear from NJ State Police and DA's office why Rice was given the deal he got. Just because his fiancee didn't want to press charges doesn't prevent the state from doing so.

Yep. There will be some back-peddling and some song-and-dance from NJSP and the DAs office, but they will not acknowledge what I think most people know already... that Rice got preferential treatment because he's a pro athlete.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She married him for money and now he is out of the NFL before he can make anything substantial. I'll bet anyone she will file for divorce now that he's worthless. It's highly doubtful he has saved enough money to retire.

Financial Impact of the Ray Rice Situation | The Daily Spot

You may be correct that he could have earned a lot more money. However - unless he spent a fortune on legal fees or blew it elsewhere - I would hardly categorize him as worthless. According to this article he has already received at least $25 million from the Ravens (and possibly received more from other sources).

Now if she takes him to the cleaners it could be another matter.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's not smart, she should have just sued him for damages from the start, now she's going to have to divorce him too. She could have been out with cash in hand. Instead she got married and now will have to fight it out in divorce to get anything. I can't imagine anybody would honestly want to stay with someone like that for any other reason. If they do, I guess they get what they ask for.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting a chuckle out of all the post that start with..."I don't condone women beating".

You think?:doh: I'm still waiting for some hillbilly to log in and say he supports wife beating. So from now on lets just assume all the fine members of the Hoop are not in favour domestic violence and get down to the real issue. That being, how we can use this incident to rid the league of that festering shit stain Goodell.

what do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes? Nothing, you already told her twice

Was that insensitive?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's not smart, she should have just sued him for damages from the start, now she's going to have to divorce him too. She could have been out with cash in hand. Instead she got married and now will have to fight it out in divorce to get anything. I can't imagine anybody would honestly want to stay with someone like that for any other reason. If they do, I guess they get what they ask for.

I know it sounds crazy, but she might just love the guy...

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not necessarily true. There are tons of dysfunctional relationships all over the country & the world. Many of these result in repeated domestic violence situations which unfortunately can even lead to murder. Many folks could rationalize an incident like this & write it of to alcohol, a bad day, etc & otherwise categorize their significant other as a great person. I am not saying that this is logical or justified, but it happens all of the time.

SteveDallas

T&R Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL has spent the last decade or more trying to boost its female viewers along with their merchandising dollars. Even going so far as to include an entire month of pink uniform accessories to support breast cancer awareness. Lending its platform to raise money for a cause, and in doing so boost the leagues PR and its profits. All shot to hell in a series of judgement errors. Not by Ray Rice but by Roger Goodell and the 32 owners. Had they chose not to get involved in the dirty little off field issues like domestic abuse dog fighting and pot smoking this problem would not be cutting into their bottom line as we speak. I would imagine merchandise sales are going to take a serious hit around Christmas this year. Ticket sales will probably be OK but there are female board members out there who have some control over the corporate perks budget. (Lets face it, that's the market now not blue collar Joe) Also I wouldn't expect to see a record TV contract anytime soon. All this could have been avoided by simply not getting dragged through the mud and allowing the public to believe you can exercise control over a testosterone driven army with mere money. You should have left the dirty work to the legal system and you could be sitting back saying "Too bad about Ray Rice...next man up".