• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ravens picked up Dallas Clark

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin lead the team in Targets, yards, and catches so how was he not Flacco's go to guy? Yes he only had 4 touchdown catches but Flacco only threw 22 during the regular season so that is still around 20% of his touchdown passes. Come on man at least stop ignoring the facts.

Boldin had 2 more targets than Smith last year. Joe does a good job at spreading the ball around.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin had 2 more targets than Smith last year. Joe does a good job at spreading the ball around.

2 more targets and 16 more catches...should show the trust Flacco could have in Boldin compared to that of Smith. Ray Rice is now the leading player on the team in catches from last year...not usually a good sign when the RB is the leader in this category. Throw in now 50% of the touchdown production through the air is gone...that is not easy to replace. I'm sorry but seriously the fact that Ravens fans cannot see how important Boldin was to the team is just somewhat laughable. I guess we will see soon enough how much him and Pitta both being gone hurts this offense.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 more targets and 16 more catches...should show the trust Flacco could have in Boldin compared to that of Smith. Ray Rice is now the leading player on the team in catches from last year...not usually a good sign when the RB is the leader in this category. Throw in now 50% of the touchdown production through the air is gone...that is not easy to replace. I'm sorry but seriously the fact that Ravens fans cannot see how important Boldin was to the team is just somewhat laughable. I guess we will see soon enough how much him and Pitta both being gone hurts this offense.

could have something to do with Boldin being a possession WR and Smith being a deep threat. Rice being the player with the most catches last year is really meaning less since most passes to the RB are just extended running plays and checks down (caused by WR not getting open). I'm not saying Boldin wasn't important i'm just saying we can replace his production with a cheaper, younger and faster WR.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
could have something to do with Boldin being a possession WR and Smith being a deep threat. Rice being the player with the most catches last year is really meaning less since most passes to the RB are just extended running plays and checks down (caused by WR not getting open). I'm not saying Boldin wasn't important i'm just saying we can replace his production with a cheaper, younger and faster WR.

This is what gets me...When a good player leaves a team fans seem to think they are easily replaceable by a younger player. Unfortunately that does not usually happen. I don't see any of the young guys on that Ravens squad even coming close to a thousand yards. Maybe one of them can match the 4 touchdowns but what about the 3rd down catches or the times that Flacco is under pressure and does do the toss it up hoping his receiver fights for the ball. I think the Clark and Stokley signing should be signs that none of the young guys have actually stepped up enough to make the coaches confident in their abilities. The fact that Jacoby Jones right now is the number 2 guy should show that none of them have stepped up and that the Ravens have very little in the possession type of receiver available in the moments they need it. Yes the Ravens might have the deep threat ability with Jones and Smith but that kind of offense doesn't usually lead to a lot of success consistently.

Again this is where Boldin and Pitta helped out in they opened up the outside of the field by their ability to go over the middle and make the tough catches. Safeties had to be watching the middle and outside where now there is nobody to go over the middle and safeties will be able to cheat towards the outside leading to fewer and fewer of those big plays actually happening.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumervil, Huff, Canty, D. Smith (at $6.5m) > Boldin (at $6m)

It really is that simple.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumervil, Huff, Canty, D. Smith (at $6.5m) > Boldin (at $6m)

It really is that simple.

That is fine and dandy but that is not what is being discussed here. What is being discussed is where on the roster do the Ravens have anybody that actually replace the talent and production of Boldin on offense? Also how does the signing of Clark and Stokley not have Ravens fans at least a little nervous of what this means possibly for Dickson's recovery from injury plus how little the young guys are coming along to bring back a very aged veteran this late in the process.

I understand that on defense essentially the Ravens talent wise should be better (not sure about leadership wise and how much that will hurt the unit). The Ravens have done a good job for how much they have lost in the off season talent wise but to me these decisions to bring in these two guys this late should leave some nervous of how the Ravens offense is actually going to do this year. Beyond Smith and Ray Rice there are not too many actual weapons.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what gets me...When a good player leaves a team fans seem to think they are easily replaceable by a younger player. Unfortunately that does not usually happen. I don't see any of the young guys on that Ravens squad even coming close to a thousand yards. Maybe one of them can match the 4 touchdowns but what about the 3rd down catches or the times that Flacco is under pressure and does do the toss it up hoping his receiver fights for the ball. I think the Clark and Stokley signing should be signs that none of the young guys have actually stepped up enough to make the coaches confident in their abilities. The fact that Jacoby Jones right now is the number 2 guy should show that none of them have stepped up and that the Ravens have very little in the possession type of receiver available in the moments they need it. Yes the Ravens might have the deep threat ability with Jones and Smith but that kind of offense doesn't usually lead to a lot of success consistently.

Again this is where Boldin and Pitta helped out in they opened up the outside of the field by their ability to go over the middle and make the tough catches. Safeties had to be watching the middle and outside where now there is nobody to go over the middle and safeties will be able to cheat towards the outside leading to fewer and fewer of those big plays actually happening.

i think the Ravens signed Stokley to mentor the younger guys more than his on field production. The Ravens have some good young WR's that can step up, i like what i saw from Williams in the first preseason game, but you're correct there is no guarantee that these kids will step up but i think someone will. Call it homerism or what ever you want, but there is no way i'm just going to play dead and say the Ravens are done.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the Ravens signed Stokley to mentor the younger guys more than his on field production. The Ravens have some good young WR's that can step up, i like what i saw from Williams in the first preseason game, but you're correct there is no guarantee that these kids will step up but i think someone will. Call it homerism or what ever you want, but there is no way i'm just going to play dead and say the Ravens are done.

I'm not asking you to play dead or admit defeat. All I am pointing towards is the fact that Ravens fans all off season have acted like replacing their top receiver from last year is something easy to do. Then when Pitta went down I saw many Ravens fans all of a sudden hyping up Dickson as if he is the next great TE in the NFL. I understand the whole next man up but there is a reason some players are the starters and others are the back ups. There are some guys that are just better than others. You can't just expect every back up to be the next great player.

Now I do think the Ravens will be fine this year. They are in a tough division with all 4 teams actually being pretty decent. I do think the Ravens defense will be good and the money spent by the money saved by Boldin should help that unit. Offensively though I do think the Ravens look like they are in a bit of trouble.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not asking you to play dead or admit defeat. All I am pointing towards is the fact that Ravens fans all off season have acted like replacing their top receiver from last year is something easy to do. Then when Pitta went down I saw many Ravens fans all of a sudden hyping up Dickson as if he is the next great TE in the NFL. I understand the whole next man up but there is a reason some players are the starters and others are the back ups. There are some guys that are just better than others. You can't just expect every back up to be the next great player.

Now I do think the Ravens will be fine this year. They are in a tough division with all 4 teams actually being pretty decent. I do think the Ravens defense will be good and the money spent by the money saved by Boldin should help that unit. Offensively though I do think the Ravens look like they are in a bit of trouble.

They still have the big play capability, a very good OL and stellar running game. They also still have Caldwell and Cameron has not reappeared in any shape or form. They needed guys who could operate in the middle of the field and make the tough 3rd and 6 receptions. They basically just signed their 3rd down package.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have the big play capability, a very good OL and stellar running game. They also still have Caldwell and Cameron has not reappeared in any shape or form. They needed guys who could operate in the middle of the field and make the tough 3rd and 6 receptions. They basically just signed their 3rd down package.

I am solely attacking the extreme comments from mcro. Your analysis is much more on point. Boldin will still hurt, especially with pitta out. They are doing the best they can this offseason, but I still don't like the move.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am solely attacking the extreme comments from mcro. Your analysis is much more on point. Boldin will still hurt, especially with pitta out. They are doing the best they can this offseason, but I still don't like the move.

Well...when they bring in Marvin Harrison to complete the trifecta, you will change your tune.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The three combined don't come near the value boldin gave them. I know he was expensive but I would have loved to have him in New England (although I'm happy with who we have for that role).

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can agree with that. The OL is pretty good and the running game should be solid. I don't know about the big plays because of how much boldin and pitta helped to take safety help away from the receivers.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with that. The OL is pretty good and the running game should be solid. I don't know about the big plays because of how much boldin and pitta helped to take safety help away from the receivers.

Have to disagree here. Smith and Jones actually drew the safeties away. Most defenses aren't going to sell out stopping a 10-yd reception at the expense of giving up a huge play.

BTW...when discussing who was the more valuable receiver for the Ravens last year, people also need to factor in that Smith led all receivers with 16 drawn penalties. Just something that doesn't show up in his stat sheet.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to disagree here. Smith and Jones actually drew the safeties away. Most defenses aren't going to sell out stopping a 10-yd reception at the expense of giving up a huge play.

BTW...when discussing who was the more valuable receiver for the Ravens last year, people also need to factor in that Smith led all receivers with 16 drawn penalties. Just something that doesn't show up in his stat sheet.

They did take them somewhat away although I saw teams double teaming boldin a lot more than smith last season. Problem this year is the talent level for those third down plays has dropped off big time. Teams don't have to worry about the guys running the underneath plays like they did last year. Safeties can now sell out on covering the deep pass knowing the middle can be covered by single man coverage with little to no help needed

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did take them somewhat away although I saw teams double teaming boldin a lot more than smith last season. Problem this year is the talent level for those third down plays has dropped off big time. Teams don't have to worry about the guys running the underneath plays like they did last year. Safeties can now sell out on covering the deep pass knowing the middle can be covered by single man coverage with little to no help needed

They still have to worry about Rice over the middle even though he is a RB. No LB in the NFL can cover rice out of the back field.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have to worry about Rice over the middle even though he is a RB. No LB in the NFL can cover rice out of the back field.

I understand they have rice but again teams can commit more to stopping him not having to worry as much about receivers coming over the middle.

mcro_rave_2001

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand they have rice but again teams can commit more to stopping him not having to worry as much about receivers coming over the middle.

So you think the Ravens can't find anyone to make catches in the middle of the field? Really?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think the Ravens can't find anyone to make catches in the middle of the field? Really?

They can find guys to catch in the middle just not to the level of boldin and pitta. Teams had to game plan with those two guys in mind. My guess is Dickson and stokley do not scare many teams. Teams can now roll coverages to focus on smith and rice where before that was not the case.