• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers to battle the Tribe 5-30,31,6-1

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gonna be too expensive...which is both great because it's a temptation we don't need, but also kinda sad, because he's been so damn good.
He has been good both as a player in all aspects of the game as he has great instincts to go with his tools and fits in with the team. I don't have a problem with signing him since I am not sure what we have that would be better next year but the issue is the year after that. There are no guarantees on who will be MLB ready and healthy in 2 years. Plus he does play young regardless of what his age is now.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been good both as a player in all aspects of the game as he has great instincts to go with his tools and fits in with the team. I don't have a problem with signing him since I am not sure what we have that would be better next year but the issue is the year after that. There are no guarantees on who will be MLB ready and healthy in 2 years. Plus he does play young regardless of what his age is now.
Well...I just don't think he's gonna take a one year Colby type deal...sure wish he would though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big contracts and older players name Choo and Fielder are risks we don't need to make any more at this time. IMO

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big contracts and older players name Choo and Fielder are risks we don't need to make any more at this time. IMO
I agree there but I don't see that type of contract for Desmond or a sizable decrease in ability as we see with Fielder. I still think Choo could be okay but if I had a choice between Choo and Desmond I would go with Desmond just because of his health, speed, defense and his salary would be less. I say that knowing Choo can put up good numbers.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love what Desmond has done overall, but he is a very streaky hitter. He could have another terrible month or longer between now and the end of the season. I am not saying he will, but his history shows that he is very capable of doing so. He was hitting .224 less than 4 weeks ago and .191 about 5 weeks ago. He has had 5 really good weeks, but it wasn't long ago when the best that could be said about him was that he can fly around the bases when he eventually gets on base.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love what Desmond has done overall, but he is a very streaky hitter. He could have another terrible month or longer between now and the end of the season. I am not saying he will, but his history shows that he is very capable of doing so. He was hitting .224 less than 4 weeks ago and .191 about 5 weeks ago. He has had 5 really good weeks, but it wasn't long ago when the best that could be said about him was that he can fly around the bases when he eventually gets on base.
Other than Maz and our catchers who hasn't been streaky? And besides his speed as you mentioned he seems to be a very intelligent player.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The age curve has changed for baseball players in the post-steroids age. A Fangraphs study showed that "For 20 seasons, hitter production began to decline significantly around age 30. Over the past seven seasons, the decline has occurred immediately."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Maz and our catchers who hasn't been streaky? And besides his speed as you mentioned he seems to be a very intelligent player.
I do think we need an improved offense that is more consistent. Choo and Fielder are very streaky and so is Moreland. We need to get younger and more consistent. With the young guys that we have on the cusp we are poised to be able to begin a makeover of our offense.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think we need an improved offense that is more consistent. Choo and Fielder are very streaky and so is Moreland. We need to get younger and more consistent. With the young guys that we have on the cusp we are poised to be able to begin a makeover of our offense.
I understand what you are saying and I think we need youth as well or those who play young. To me Desmond falls into that 2nd category. And you do need a few vets for leadership which is why I like Beltre.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Choo's history has shown him to be the exact opposite of streaky.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Choo's history has shown him to be the exact opposite of streaky.
He was the epitome of streaky last season.

The year before he came here he did have a month where he hit .211 and the year before that he had 2 separate month or more longer periods where he hit .211 and .213. In 2011 he was hitting just .231 as late as June 14th. Not Fielderesque by any means, but he had some very bad streaks in those years.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the epitome of streaky last season.

The year before he came here he did have a month where he hit .211 and the year before that he had 2 separate month or more longer periods where he hit .211 and .213. In 2011 he was hitting just .231 as late as June 14th. Not Fielderesque by any means, but he had some very bad streaks in those years.

Last season was clearly the outlier. Yes he has some ebbs and flows. Beltre went from a 330+ BA at the start of the season to .265 for a while, but I wouldn't call him streaky by any means. Choo has been a great example of consistency over his career, and last year was clearly the outlier.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last season was clearly the outlier. Yes he has some ebbs and flows. Beltre went from a 330+ BA at the start of the season to .265 for a while, but I wouldn't call him streaky by any means. Choo has been a great example of consistency over his career, and last year was clearly the outlier.
Like I said who isn't streaky. That has to be attributed to 90% of the players.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddles if you posted this then I missed it but Nick Martinez pitched 8 innings of 3 hit ball and struck out 11 with just 1 walk. Only 2 of the outs were to the OF! 68 strikes and 30 balls. Nice job. Hope he builds on this.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said who isn't streaky. That has to be attributed to 90% of the players.

When I think of streaky hitters, I think of guys like Cruz who could carry an offense for 3 weeks and then strike out trying to hit off a tee for three weeks.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have a different definition of streaky then. To me Beltre has been streaky this year.

It is too early to tell with Choo, but when outliers occur in your 30s they very well may be a sign of things to come.

He definitely has become more injury prone it seems.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saddles if you posted this then I missed it but Nick Martinez pitched 8 innings of 3 hit ball and struck out 11 with just 1 walk. Only 2 of the outs were to the OF! 68 strikes and 30 balls. Nice job. Hope he builds on this.
Looks like I barely beat you to posting it. lol That's okay though because Nick deserves a double posting for an outing like that. We really need him and/or Chi Chi to step it up.