• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers sign Joe Nathan

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think he will be the closer or Adams? Still would have liked to see them go after Madsen.

if they are saying goodbye to CJ, then i see Nathan being the closer. if they resign CJ, then it could be the end of the latest Colby Lewis/Texas Rangers era.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they are saying goodbye to CJ, then i see Nathan being the closer. if they resign CJ, then it could be the end of the latest Colby Lewis/Texas Rangers era.

If the resign CJ they will trade either scooter or Colby.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a great move by JD. If we are able to resign CJ then I think Neftali could start the year in AAA building up and getting ready to pitch when there is a need. He's got options so we might as well use them. IF it turns out that we have too much pitching then I am not against seeing what we can get for Colby.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Colby's option being picked up was just a contingency plan for if Texas doesn't resign CJ. Otherwise he's trade bait.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way you pay a closer 12mil per for 4 years and that is what it would have taken to get Madsen signed. Relievers are so up and down you never know how Madsen is going to pitch outside of the NL. Now we've got money to spend to improve other areas. We may sign CJ or Darvish.

We also have some good young relievers in our minor league system which makes spending 12 mil on a closer stupid.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be a competition between Ogando, Lewis, Feldman, Feliz and Harrison for the final 3 spots behind Holland IF we re-sign CJ

If Feliz doesn't win a rotation spot then I think he starts in AAA to work on being a starter

As it is now, Holland is about the closest to a "sure thing" for the rotation next year

Everybody else has something to prove or earn, after either a shaky regular season, 2nd half, playoff series, and etc...

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Colby gets a chance to prove he's healthy and can pitch like he did in the playoffs

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Colby's option being picked up was just a contingency plan for if Texas doesn't resign CJ. Otherwise he's trade bait.

my thought too. if they re-sign CJ, then either Scooter or Colby has to be gone

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison is probably pretty close to being a lock for next year. He's just one tick away from being a great #3.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I think this is a great move. Nathan is going to be in his 2nd year removed from TJ surgery and should be 100%.

2. This means that CJ isn't going to be back. Rangers have already informed Neftali that he is going to be in the rotation and I seriously doubt that they kick out guys with double digit wins. That means Holland, Harrison , Lewis and Ogando all are back in the rotation.

3. Feldman has value as a reliever. However, his performance in post season might mean that he has real value on the trade market. I think he will get traded soon because his contract is to expensive to be a reliever; however, since he performed so well in post season teams may want him as a starter. I hope the Rangers keep him.

4. Rangers are not staying put with this move. They aren't rearranging the deck chairs. They are improving. Bring CJ back and they've really improved. Keeping both Holland and Harrison in the rotation and you've got a beastly rotation. Both guys are just coming into their own and have phenomenal stuff. With Feliz and Ogando in the rotation you've got 4 guys that can hit 97 on the gun. No other team can come close to that. 1 guy who can hit 101. 3 guys who regularly hit 97-98. All can pitch. All have good command. OMG, this is such a good move.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Colby isn't being traded with that contract. He probably has the most friendly contract in all of baseball when you consider his age, performance level and his playoff clutch performances. I'd be shocked if the Rangers traded Colby.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I think this is a great move. Nathan is going to be in his 2nd year removed from TJ surgery and should be 100%.

2. This means that CJ isn't going to be back. Rangers have already informed Neftali that he is going to be in the rotation and I seriously doubt that they kick out guys with double digit wins. That means Holland, Harrison , Lewis and Ogando all are back in the rotation.

3. Feldman has value as a reliever. However, his performance in post season might mean that he has real value on the trade market. I think he will get traded soon because his contract is to expensive to be a reliever; however, since he performed so well in post season teams may want him as a starter. I hope the Rangers keep him.

4. Rangers are not staying put with this move. They aren't rearranging the deck chairs. They are improving. Bring CJ back and they've really improved. Keeping both Holland and Harrison in the rotation and you've got a beastly rotation. Both guys are just coming into their own and have phenomenal stuff. With Feliz and Ogando in the rotation you've got 4 guys that can hit 97 on the gun. No other team can come close to that. 1 guy who can hit 101. 3 guys who regularly hit 97-98. All can pitch. All have good command. OMG, this is such a good move.

Good post. I'm less concerned with what this means for other guys and more excited about Nefty, I think he's going to burn through lineups next year. They must have a ton of confidence in him to make this move.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colby isn't being traded with that contract. He probably has the most friendly contract in all of baseball when you consider his age, performance level and his playoff clutch performances. I'd be shocked if the Rangers traded Colby.

Couldn't what you said above be exactly why we're able to trade him and get a good return for him. Most likely he's gone after this year. IF trading Colby get us a couple of players that help now and in the future then you have to consider it as we're not going to be able to get picks from anybody when he leaves with the possible CBA changes.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as a sidenote.... I like how everyone is so quick to trade the best postseason pitcher the Rangers have had the past 2 years....

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

don't accept #2 yet. i still think this is a move to force CJ's hand

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't accept #2 yet. i still think this is a move to force CJ's hand

I hope you are right but the Rangers don't want to give pitchers long term, expensive contracts and rightfully so. There is a lot of risk involved in that kind of situation and teams get burned a lot. For what it is worth I want CJ back in a Ranger uniform. His stats were great last season and he has no fear of the park. I am sure the Rangers would give him a fair deal. I just don't think he'd accept a fair deal at this point. The numbers he reputedly wants are just mind boggling insane.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so quick to trade him. How old is he now. Frankly I really liked Feldman this year but would rather see what we can get for his contract as Colby's is quite friendly to the rangers.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you are right but the Rangers don't want to give pitchers long term, expensive contracts and rightfully so. There is a lot of risk involved in that kind of situation and teams get burned a lot. For what it is worth I want CJ back in a Ranger uniform. His stats were great last season and he has no fear of the park. I am sure the Rangers would give him a fair deal. I just don't think he'd accept a fair deal at this point. The numbers he reputedly wants are just mind boggling insane.

Wanting a high price for something and actually finding a buyer for it are two different things. CJ won't be getting 120 mil do he needs to come back down to earth. He's still quite young and if he takes a shorter contract now there could be another big payday if he continues to prove himself.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanting a high price for something and actually finding a buyer for it are two different things. CJ won't be getting 120 mil do he needs to come back down to earth. He's still quite young and if he takes a shorter contract now there could be another big payday if he continues to prove himself.

There is setting your sights high and asking for a lot and then there is CJ Wilson. So Wilson's agent says 6 years 120 million. Rangers counter with 4 for 48 or something very fair and in the neighborhood. Wilson and his agent become insulted and decide to take the same or worse offer from some other team because the Rangers disrespected them. I can see that happening.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as a sidenote.... I like how everyone is so quick to trade the best postseason pitcher the Rangers have had the past 2 years....

if you don't improve your starting pitching for the regular season then you don't make the post-season. Colby may be the best post-season pitcher on the roster but a 2-year record of 26-23, 56 homers, 121 walks and a WHIP of 1.2 isn't a solid regular season contribution. if you can replace him with someone who is going to produce a better regular season then you do it. the post-season record can not be your only justification for keeping him.