• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers limp home to face the Halos - April 26-28

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Daniels smoking when he signed Lyles (career ERA 5.21) and gave him 16 million for 2 years?

"Jordan Lyles was a guy we identified that he found something last year," Rangers manager Chris Woodward said. "When we faced him, we said, 'OK, he has made some really good adjustments to how he's using his pitches.' That was really intriguing for me going forward. He's always had good stuff, but now we feel like he can sustain the quality that he had for the second half of last year."

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Daniels smoking when he signed Lyles (career ERA 5.21) and gave him 16 million for 2 years?
The same stuff he was smoking when signing all those real young foreign prospects to big dollars and bringing them to the states too soon...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least Yang had a decent night for his first time out, too bad the Rangers bats disappeared after the 1st inning...

Guess we should have traded Lyles before this outing, at least we could have gotten a bag of used pucks now not so much...

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lyles, Gibson, Arihara, Folty, Minor, Lynn, Gallardo, Colon, Moore, and Miller were and are, simply placeholders. Management has known for about three years now that we are nowhere close to being a contender. They simply sign guys to short term deals to try to make it through until we can at least get close to contending.

The goal is to get some young pitching prospects ready and then add a much better veteran or two through free agency or trade once those young guys are close. Will that ever come to fruition? That remains to be seen, but that appears to be the plan.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The median income for a pitcher was 2.8 million (in 2018 so it’s gone up a little) and he’s not worth even that. So why did he get 8 million a year?

Is that for starters only? or does that factor in relievers (who get paid significantly less)?

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lyles, Gibson, Arihara, Folty, Minor, Lynn, Gallardo, Colon, Moore, and Miller were and are, simply placeholders. Management has known for about three years now that we are nowhere close to being a contender. They simply sign guys to short term deals to try to make it through until we can at least get close to contending.

The goal is to get some young pitching prospects ready and then add a much better veteran or two through free agency or trade once those young guys are close. Will that ever come to fruition? That remains to be seen, but that appears to be the plan.
But this was the plan after the 2017 season when Daniels mentioned the 2019 free agent pool is a good one and expected to tap into that with some top tier free agents.

It made sense at the time because the new stadium was opening in 2020 and the plan was to at least put a .500 team or better on the field.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is that for starters only? or does that factor in relievers (who get paid significantly less)?
Starters. The median is what most make. The average is higher because guys like Cole are included which skews the salaries upward.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we sometimes overlook what a pitcher has in his game plan. He relies on FB slider etc but strangely enough he depends on help from hitters too. We have come close several times with risp and let the pitcher down with K's. I wonder honestly how bad that pitcher would look if only he had some help. Think about it. Pitchers take a lot of unnecessary criticism and flax for team mates that don't perform their best every time out. Looking at current stats we should not win many games no matter who the pitcher is. Our STRIKE OUT record has got to change and then we can better evaluate our pitching.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why it kinda baffles me that so many people (analysts) seem to be so gung-ho about the Rangers drafting Lawler.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But this was the plan after the 2017 season when Daniels mentioned the 2019 free agent pool is a good one and expected to tap into that with some top tier free agents.

It made sense at the time because the new stadium was opening in 2020 and the plan was to at least put a .500 team or better on the field.
I never read where Daniels suggested that for 2019. Some on here did.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starters. The median is what most make. The average is higher because guys like Cole are included which skews the salaries upward.

Ties into my opinion about being ready to move on from Gallo. The guys at the top of the heap are dragging the spare salaries up, which is why guys like Lyles end up making 8 million a year.

(Not calling Gallo a spare, but in this market, everyone ends up making more than they would have 5 years ago).

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why it kinda baffles me that so many people (analysts) seem to be so gung-ho about the Rangers drafting Lawler.
I think some of them are a little biased toward Lawlar because he is local, he has a good makeup, and they can see him in person. At least, I think those are some of the reasons Jamey Newberg judges him as highly as he does.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never cared how much Lyles made because even if he made twice what he is making, it wasn't going to keep us from spending on a great player. We would not have signed a great free agent whether Lyles made $16 million per year or if he made the minimum allowed.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of them are a little biased toward Lawlar because he is local, he has a good makeup, and they can see him in person. At least, I think those are some of the reasons Jamey Newberg judges him as highly as he does.

There's certainly a case to be made for taking him ("take the best player available" mentality), but with the disastrous recent history of our developed pitching, to me it seems that should be the priority.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Grant doesn't bother me for the most part, but this is a bad take. For both Joey and Evan.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to go to a few of those games in Frisco.