• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Hosting Houston Astros AUG. 3-5

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess having Feliz & Nathan close games the past few years has given us an immune feeling of putting people on base but somehow getting out of it. 1st & 3rd with 0 outs is NOT the way to go about things.

While I agree Tolleson has stats on his side, putting runners on every time out is not a great recipe for success.

Feliz did it.
Nathan did it.

We all bitched & moaned back then....why not now?

Tolleson is a closer b/c we have no one better to close. I'd rather see him in the 8th inning.

I think in a different situation he is probably our 8th inning guy. Im not sure of his role next year, JD may bring someone in. I don't mind the occasional base runner, but your closer cant give up the HR's he was giving up there for a few weeks.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure on Coello, but I doubt Irwin sees the big leagues with the Rangers. Sounds like he is just gonna fill out a roster spot.
Seems like they could have found someone better than Irwin to fill out a roster spot. An 8.68 era in Korea? Forget that guy.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess having Feliz & Nathan close games the past few years has given us an immune feeling of putting people on base but somehow getting out of it. 1st & 3rd with 0 outs is NOT the way to go about things.

While I agree Tolleson has stats on his side, putting runners on every time out is not a great recipe for success.

Feliz did it.
Nathan did it.

Tolleson is a closer b/c we have no one better to close. I'd rather see him in the 8th inning.

This was my point, exactly. And explained far better.

Tolleson has done a good job overall in the closer role, but when he comes in, I don't think "game over." That's what a stereotypical closer should be.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Feliz did it.
Nathan did it.

Nathan made me a nervous wreck, pretty much, his entire last season here. But he had terrific stats. Think he pitched in around 60 games with 40+ saves. Again, terrific stats.

But I was delighted to see him sign with Detroit.

IMO you're 100% correct re: 1st & 3rd with no outs is no way to close a 1 run game.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Strausborger strictly a COF? If so, I guess this means Hamilton is our backup CF for now?

Why haven't the Rangers sent Rua down? Sorry to keep bringing this up, but his continued rotting process is wearing me out.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Strausborger strictly a COF? If so, I guess this means Hamilton is our backup CF for now?

Why haven't the Rangers sent Rua down? Sorry to keep bringing this up, but his continued rotting process is wearing me out.

He's played 293 games in CF in the minors, 27 this year, looks like solid numbers defensively

Not sure on Rua, seems like they have the ideal don't give a crap kinda guy they need in Strasbourger and he's right-handed and plays a decent CF

Maybe taking a couple days to see what they have before making a move

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played 293 games in CF in the minors, 27 this year, looks like solid numbers defensively

Not sure on Rua, seems like they have the ideal don't give a crap kinda guy they need in Strasbourger and he's right-handed and plays a decent CF

Maybe taking a couple days to see what they have before making a move

Thanks....didn't know what to make of this young man, nor where to expect to see him positioned.

I'm just really disappointed and somewhat disillusioned as to what this organization has done/is doing with Rua. We thought enough of him to start him in LF, he gets hurt, we rush him back, move him around, and now bury him on the ML bench.

Makes no sense to me at all.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks....didn't know what to make of this young man, nor where to expect to see him positioned.

I'm just really disappointed and somewhat disillusioned as to what this organization has done/is doing with Rua. We thought enough of him to start him in LF, he gets hurt, we rush him back, move him around, and now bury him on the ML bench.

Makes no sense to me at all.

I don't think Rua was rushed back at all, but the Hamilton move was made partly as a result of Rua's injury, but Hamilton is here now, as is Choo, and Rua has no where to play now and should be in AAA getting regular ABs and getting his bat back on track

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nathan made me a nervous wreck, pretty much, his entire last season here. But he had terrific stats. Think he pitched in around 60 games with 40+ saves. Again, terrific stats.

But I was delighted to see him sign with Detroit.

IMO you're 100% correct re: 1st & 3rd with no outs is no way to close a 1 run game.
I still think JD goes after Nathan again now that he is hurt again. He can be had on the cheap. We will stash him away until he is able to pitch again after the break next season sometime.

I would love to see the team go out and sign 2 of the top 4 bullpen pieces available this winter, but something tells me they will fill out the pen on the cheap again. Same thing at catcher. Then next July we will have to pay a big price for bullpen help if we are close to being in contention.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think JD goes after Nathan again now that he is hurt again. He can be had on the cheap. We will stash him away until he is able to pitch again after the break next season sometime.

Nathan would be overpaid at the major league minimum.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Rua was rushed back at all, but the Hamilton move was made partly as a result of Rua's injury, but Hamilton is here now, as is Choo, and Rua has no where to play now and should be in AAA getting regular ABs and getting his bat back on track

He just didn't seem like he was 100% when he got back to me, and his timing seemed really off.

But this is what most of us seem to think his best course of action is and would have been. Now, the guy has missed 100's of AB this season, and more/more by the day.

Send him down now and let him get his game back, and if nothing else, he could be a trade chip come the off-season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Joe is done

I hate to agree with ya, but I sure do.

Joe was a great closer, and he is a terrific person too.

But hey, time waits for no one.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to agree with ya, but I sure do.

Joe was a great closer, and he is a terrific person too.

But hey, time waits for no one.

At his age, and as previously mentioned, a second major surgery. It only takes one setback before you have no choice but to hang it up

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At his age, and as previously mentioned, a second major surgery. It only takes one setback before you have no choice but to hang it up

Correct......I don't know if you know anything about him as a person, but the little bit I do, he seems like a real credit to the game to me. to his community, family, etc actually.

Always hate to see great warriors pass the torch, but like you said, when it's time to hang em up, hang em up.

I truly hate to see great athletes who refuse to accept their fate of being a mere mortal when it comes to age. I'll never forget how sad I felt to see the wonderful "Say-Hey" Willie Mays go out the way he did.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct......I don't know if you know anything about him as a person, but the little bit I do, he seems like a real credit to the game to me. to his community, family, etc actually.

Always hate to see great warriors pass the torch, but like you said, when it's time to hang em up, hang em up.

I truly hate to see great athletes who refuse to accept their fate of being a mere mortal when it comes to age. I'll never forget how sad I felt to see the wonderful "Say-Hey" Willie Mays go out the way he did.
I hear ya. Mantle had bad knees and had to wait for others to write the record books and some will wait a long time. Wille was in that class