• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Host the Athletics For Four Games August 15-18

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beasley will not be the long term manager of the Texas Rangers and if he is someone else should likely lose their job for it. Nice guy not an option to take a team where the Rangers are saying they want to go.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wherever you think they may be 1-2-3 years from now, they almost certainly won't be.
That is why acquiring pitchers the way we did Cliff Lee is the best way to do it. You know exactly what you need, and you get it when you need it.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, let's rely on Garver and his .207 average again next season. Lol

Let's figure out why players underperform for this team and in this system. How about that?

There needs to be wholesale changes system wide Chris. From scouting to development to coaching, there are major issues throughout the system

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's figure out why players underperform for this team and in this system. How about that?

There needs to be wholesale changes system wide Chris. From scouting to development to coaching, there are major issues throughout the system
the injury existed probably prior to the trade and his trade value is nil right now. we will have to bring him to ST, see him perform or not and then make the call

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why acquiring pitchers the way we did Cliff Lee is the best way to do it. You know exactly what you need, and you get it when you need it.

I agree when you are looking for that one piece, to help you win a championship or get you to one but when constructing a team that you expect to win 90 games from one year to the next you have to make other moves. Side note: I know this team wasn't expected to win 90 games this year.

The bullpen and the rotation were a joke going into this season though. That said, if Martin Perez had the season we were all expecting him to, it would have been even uglier, based on the amount of bitching we did when he was signed. He has way overachieved and most of the rest way underachieved. I think you have to build a rotation where you expect a couple 16-18 game winners and the other 3 guys to get you somewhere between 10-14, so maybe your starters can get you 60-65 wins. What we trotted out there to start this year couldn't have been expected to get us to .500 and that is before life, injuries, poor performance and the season unfolded.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the injury existed probably prior to the trade and his trade value is nil right now. we will have to bring him to ST, see him perform or not and then make the call

Novel idea would be to have medicals come back 110% clean before making acquisitions. Could go far in not making bad moves

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't just talking Garver here either. I am talking all of the underperforming players and prospects that we dont seem to develop or over value or some might say over pay.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Novel idea would be to have medicals come back 110% clean before making acquisitions. Could go far in not making bad moves
i'm not sure that Garver or the twins even realized there was a problem when the trade went down

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened after 2011 and beyond, don’t be fooled this ownership was not passive and JD har bosses he had to answer to and they liked it that way

Sure he had to concede to their wishes and took hits for them. That was the way he operated and they liked it.
I think it is extremely foolish to thing that JD was the 100% shot caller

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure that Garver or the twins even realized there was a problem when the trade went down

Well if thorough medicals are done, that would show things that are there and if they aren't there and they just happen after guys get here, there's nothing that can combat that. Problem is when these things aren't done, nobody knows when they occurred or if they have or even could potentially happen.

I just think I remember the diagnosis on Garver was he had this injury for a period of some time, likely before ST

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if thorough medicals are done, that would show things that are there and if they aren't there and they just happen after guys get here, there's nothing that can combat that. Problem is when these things aren't done, nobody knows when they occurred or if they have or even could potentially happen.

I just think I remember the diagnosis on Garver was he had this injury for a period of some time, likely before ST
I don’t know if this specific injury was the same as in the past but he has had past injuries

Will he be injury free and do better this coming year? That is a mystery

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would not even keep him on the roster after this year. There is no use losing even a mediocre prospect to Rule 5 just to keep him around for another season.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever happened after 2011 and beyond, don’t be fooled this ownership was not passive and JD har bosses he had to answer to and they liked it that way

Sure he had to concede to their wishes and took hits for them. That was the way he operated and they liked it.
I think it is extremely foolish to thing that JD was the 100% shot caller

I dont know about that, all things seemed to point that it was JD that was "THE" guy making decisions for the baseball operations department, prior to CY's arrival. No doubt there was input from others and ownership had to sign off on things but I think, even JD said it was his job to do better when things hadn't worked out, taking full credit.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not even keep him on the roster after this year. There is no use losing even a mediocre prospect to Rule 5 just to keep him around for another season.

I agree. It will take him almost a full season, to get back to where he could help enough offensively probably and I dont know that he even catches much or at all next year, so he doesn't really help defensively. Sunk cost, move on.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know about that, all things seemed to point that it was JD that was "THE" guy making decisions for the baseball operations department, prior to CY's arrival. No doubt there was input from others and ownership had to sign off on things but I think, even JD said it was his job to do better when things hadn't worked out, taking full credit.
You saw how ownership handled the dismissal and everything JD did was cloak and dagger

I am not saying the move was bad but i do question the public perception of how things went down in the inner workings. No way JD had Carte balance. Think of Rendon FA. Jd was on a leash

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see if Dunning can get to a sub-4.00 ERA today.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You saw how ownership handled the dismissal and everything JD did was cloak and dagger

I am not saying the move was bad but i do question the public perception of how things went down in the inner workings. No way JD had Carte balance. Think of Rendon FA. Jd was on a leash

I do think that several or at least a couple years he had some serious budget restrictions and that the lack of spending wasn't all on him.

I also think that the handling of the moves/changes, could/should have been handled better. I think Ray basically (not publicly or to Jon but to himself) said you hired Woodward, he was your guy, you do the dirty work and fire him and then he fired Daniels. He did publicly say that he had already made the decision on Daniels prior to Monday