• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Come Home From Batting Practice To Face Rays Sept. 10-12

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had no problems with low budgets the past couple of years. A few years back I sure did, but not the last 2 years. They should increase it this year, but there is no need to break the bank just yet. Picking up one or two really good free agents this year would be ideal. Then do the same next offseason and maybe even the one after that.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had no problems with low budgets the past couple of years. A few years back I sure did, but not the last 2 years. They should increase it this year, but there is no need to break the bank just yet. Picking up one or two really good free agents this year would be ideal. Then do the same next offseason and maybe even the one after that.

I agree. The finishing touch would be an elite SP. Really wonder what budget will be going ahead

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To clarify, I meant cheap options who have a legitimate chance to be good to very good.
Name one possible option that is going to be cheap and good to very good. They are 1 in a million possibility

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name one possible option that is going to be cheap and good to very good. They are 1 in a million possibility
Clase and Evans are two options. Montero could be another one. All have a legitimate shot at being good to very good and all are dirt cheap. Put Barlow in that mix as well.

Then there are starting prospects who may only be less than average starters, but above average relievers, like Hernandez, Jurado, and Mendez.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The finishing touch would be an elite SP. Really wonder what budget will be going ahead
I think we have a better chance of at least one of Winn and Crouse becoming the elite pitcher. We can spend money on FA hitters who are a lot less risky.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clase and Evans are two options. Montero could be another one. All have a legitimate shot at being good to very good and all are dirt cheap.
And they are already on our roster. Clase and Montero are already on the 25 and 40 man roster and are almost guaranteed to be on the opening day roster. We need another SP yo fit into the rotation with Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke. I want a quality starter while you probably would settle for anyone

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they are already on our roster. Clase and Montero are already on the 25 and 40 man roster and are almost guaranteed to be on the opening day roster. We need another SP yo fit into the rotation with Minor, Lynn, Allard and Burke. I want a quality starter while you probably would settle for anyone
Ideally, I would like to sign a quality guy to a one year deal that we could trade at the deadline for another Allard, Burke, or Solak. I wouldn't mind trading one of our veterans in the offseason for one of those type guys as well.

By the deadline, Palumbo, Hearn and Phillips could be ready to step in. In fact, Palumbo may be ready when the season starts.

You sure left the bullpen discussion abruptly. Did my answer to the cheap bullpen options satisfy you?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally, I would like to sign a quality guy to a one year deal that we could trade at the deadline for another Allard, Burke, or Solak. I wouldn't mind trading one of our veterans in the offseason for one of those type guys as well.

By the deadline, Palumbo, Hearn and Phillips could be ready to step in. In fact, Palumbo may be ready when the season starts.

You sure left the bullpen discussion abruptly. Did my answer to the cheap bullpen options satisfy you?
Name 1 quality SP who is going to sign a 1 year deal? You can't, so basically you are leaving the Rangers with the option of signing another TJ recovery candidate or 2 or signing some level 4 or 5 FA pitcher who is only available for that 1 year deal because no other team will sign them. As far as the bullpen is concerned I think we are already in good shape with Chavez, Clase, Hernandez, Kelley, Leclerc, Martin, Montero and Springs with Evan's and a couple of others. I think one or more of the starters you mentioned could be ready by the All-Star break or September callup but who steps into the #1, 2 or 3 starter spot depending on where you put Minor and Lynn. Most look at them as #2 or 3's.

I look at it this way: Minor has 1 year left on his deal and Lynn has 2. I bring in a #1 pitcher like Cole now. Minor either gets traded in 2020 or moves on at the end of 2020 at which time we move Hearn or Palumbo into the rotation at #5. Then in 2021 Lynn gets traded or moves on at the end of the season and we move the next prospect into the #5.

Last edited:

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting Gerritt Cole could be huge for this team

Anthony Rendon would be nice, but I could live with Solak at 3B and Odor, or someone else at 2B, if we had Cole

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name 1 quality SP who is going to sign a 1 year deal? You can't, so basically you are leaving the Rangers with the option of signing another TJ recovery candidate or 2 or signing some level 4 or 5 FA pitcher who is only available for that 1 year deal because no other team will sign them. As far as the bullpen is concerned I think we are already in good shape with Chavez, Clase, Hernandez, Kelley, Leclerc, Martin, Montero and Springs with Evan's and a couple of others. I think one or more of the starters you mentioned could be ready by the All-Star break or September callup but who steps into the #1, 2 or 3 starter spot depending on where you put Minor and Lynn. Most look at them as #2 or 3's.

I look at it this way: Minor has 1 year left on his deal and Lynn has 2. I bring in a #1 pitcher like Cole now. Minor either gets traded in 2020 or moves on at the end of 2020 at which time we move Hearn or Palumbo into the rotation at #5. Then in 2021 Lynn gets traded or moves on at the end of the season and we move the next prospect into the #5.

I don't think you get the point he trying to make at all, but thats par for the course

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I said that is what I would do ideally. You have stated what you would do ideally. Neither one is going to happen, but I would give my ideal situation greater odds than yours. There are years where agents overestimate the market and therefore their clients sign a one year deal late, with plans to jump back in the market the following year.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you get the point he trying to make at all, but thats par for the course
Okay explain it to me. He says sign a quality SP yo a 1 year deal and all I ask was for him to name 1 quality SP who would sign a 1 year deal.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said that is what I would do ideally. You have stated what you would do ideally. Neither one is going to happen, but I would give my ideal situation greater odds than yours. There are years where agents overestimate the market and therefore their clients sign a one year deal late, with plans to jump back in the market the following year.
Okay I see your thinking I just think there is 1 quality pitcher who would do it. Kueckel tried it and it cost him half the season. Players are finding that teams aren't going to play ball like they use to so getting a long term deal may mean taking less money

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay explain it to me. He says sign a quality SP yo a 1 year deal and all I ask was for him to name 1 quality SP who would sign a 1 year deal.
Just 3 years ago we signed Cashner to a one year deal and could have traded him. It happens and is not that rare. Us signing an ace is so rare that it is pretty much unheard of.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3