• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.1

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@idseer - thought you would like to read this bio on Pizzaro who died yesterday.

White Sox Star Juan Pizarro, 1937-2021 - South Side Sox
thanks mingo. appreciated that. he was among my top favorite players at that time. i hadn't heard that he was a hard case back then so it's interesting to find that out. sox really knew pitchers back then. hope today's staff is reflective of that time.
Juan was my favorite too, and that was back when we had some serious quality starters......Gary Peters, Joel Horlen, a then-young Tommy John. We definitely had the pitchers. It was our offense that always blew chunks.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think La Russa has the mental sharpness to function as a MLB manager and do that well. He has to prove he is physically up to the challenge of a 162 game schedule.

Everyone at camp is talking about how good Kopech looks - this is because:

1) He does look good
2) The Sox are so afraid of his mental state - they are trying to boost him anyway they can.
3) There is nothing else to talk about.

I'm pretty sure the rotation will go - Giolito - Lynn - Keuchel - Cease - Kopech/Crochet/Rodon

Grandal pretty much cried all last season the MLB wouldn't let him use the computer stuff during a game - due to the Astro's cheating scandal - it looks like that has been worked out so he can use his tablet during the games this season. This means I can continue to brag about Grandal's phantom awesomeness and watch @Jiddy burst into a verbal Saint Vitus Dance routine.

In 1983 when La Russa was the manager they got off to a 16-24 start - moved up to a 49-49 mid season break record and then finished 50-14 - for some of the greatest baseball I've ever seen. Then Brit Burns gave up a homer and the season was done.

I expect Eaton and Madrigal will bat 8 and 9 in the batting order - and I will tell you right now I'm looking forward to La Russa putting the hit and run on for Madrigal when Eaton is on base. I love that kind of baseball.

Jace Fry gets surgery in January and the Sox fans don't find out for a month - that's some happy horse Sh*t right there.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone at camp is talking about how good Kopech looks - this is because:

1) He does look good
2) The Sox are so afraid of his mental state - they are trying to boost him anyway they can.
3) There is nothing else to talk about.
Here's an update on Kopech's state of mind:

"I think I learned that I need this game a lot more than I realized," Kopech said on the first weekend of White Sox camp in Arizona. "It's a lot easier said than done to take a step away from something you've done your entire life.

"So taking a step back from that and realizing how big of a piece it is to this entire puzzle for me has kind of put it all in perspective, and it's made me kind of regain the motivation to get back out there, along with some other things that have happened in my life.

"I think I've found that motivation that I may have lost, not that I ever completely lost it because I never want to be known as a guy that hasn't worked really hard for everything that he's had to earn. But with this time away, I've really had the chance to come back and prove to myself at least that this is what I want to do."

It's just words, but at least he seems focused on showing what he brings to the table.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an update on Kopech's state of mind:

"I think I learned that I need this game a lot more than I realized," Kopech said on the first weekend of White Sox camp in Arizona. "It's a lot easier said than done to take a step away from something you've done your entire life.

"So taking a step back from that and realizing how big of a piece it is to this entire puzzle for me has kind of put it all in perspective, and it's made me kind of regain the motivation to get back out there, along with some other things that have happened in my life.

"I think I've found that motivation that I may have lost, not that I ever completely lost it because I never want to be known as a guy that hasn't worked really hard for everything that he's had to earn. But with this time away, I've really had the chance to come back and prove to myself at least that this is what I want to do."

It's just words, but at least he seems focused on showing what he brings to the table.
He does look fit - that's a good sign.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that at the beginning of the rebuild - star prospects were kept in the minors probably longer than they needed to be by the White Sox - now at the end of the rebuild -that policy is reversed and Vaughn and Crochet are considered virtual major leaguers from the start. I'm thinking all the BS aside about developing talent - that the Sox have decided that once they got to the window of opportunity for playoff and world series baseball - to throw all the talent out there at the same time to maximize the chances.

So far our new tiger Tony has - compared Louis Robert with Trout - suggested Eloy could be MVP - talked up Vaughn's talent and chances to make the team - welcomed Timmy to camp and said nothing about Timmy's comments about the Twins. LaRu is certainly trying to fit in and not make waves.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say Timmay lacks confidence.

I'm a bit old school when it comes to players speaking with the media. I'm generally not in favor of bulletin board material quotes. But then again, it's hard not to give a wink & a nod to TA's chutzpah.
I'm with you on the old school, but as you point out - this has a difference in that it is an expression of confidence. In a sense - this kind of confidence puts pressure on the other teams to disprove it and that's an advantage White Sox. Bulletin material is when you rag the other team for their deficiencies - that just gets the other guys riled up.

If I'm not mistaken - Tony the tiger is encouraging the confidence building tone of the White Sox camp. So far from Tony - nary a discouraging word.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coming around on Tony La Russa as the manager. During his White Sox tenure and later in his HOF career - La Russa was best known for how well he handled the bullpen. Guess who has the best bullpen in all of baseball? Your Chicago White Sox - that's who.

He's got Hendriks - one of the best closers in baseball who can go multiple innings on consecutive days. He's got Bummer who has an untouchable sinker ball. He's got Crochet who in just 6 outings last year - managed to lead the league in heater MPH for the entire season. He's got Marshall, Foster and Heuer - who all have era's around 2.0. He's got wonder boy Michael Kopech just for extra measure. And - La Russa has Jimmy Cordero who has such a hard throwing rubber arm - even Renteria couldn't kill him - though he tried very hard to do so. This is before you get to Tyler Johnson who has one of the best bullpen records in recent minor league history. And - he's got Grandal - who no matter what else you think of him - consistently leads MLB catchers in pitch framing.

These White Sox will not have to leave starters out there in the early season cold for long spells - they have an army of bullpen guys and a manager who has a HOF history on how to use them.

Uncle Jerry might look like a genius before all this is done.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coming around on Tony La Russa as the manager. During his White Sox tenure and later in his HOF career - La Russa was best known for how well he handled the bullpen. Guess who has the best bullpen in all of baseball? Your Chicago White Sox - that's who.

He's got Hendriks - one of the best closers in baseball who can go multiple innings on consecutive days. He's got Bummer who has an untouchable sinker ball. He's got Crochet who in just 6 outings last year - managed to lead the league in heater MPH for the entire season. He's got Marshall, Foster and Heuer - who all have era's around 2.0. He's got wonder boy Michael Kopech just for extra measure. And - La Russa has Jimmy Cordero who has such a hard throwing rubber arm - even Renteria couldn't kill him - though he tried very hard to do so. This is before you get to Tyler Johnson who has one of the best bullpen records in recent minor league history. And - he's got Grandal - who no matter what else you think of him - consistently leads MLB catchers in pitch framing.

These White Sox will not have to leave starters out there in the early season cold for long spells - they have an army of bullpen guys and a manager who has a HOF history on how to use them.

Uncle Jerry might look like a genius before all this is done.
My single biggest gripe with La Russa's hiring was the story that soon broke afterward about his 2nd DUI, and it's why early on I wanted him to step down. I honestly thought this matter would turn into a hornet's nest and was going to be the dominant story all offseason, and in the process taking away from all the hype and expectations of the Sox for the coming season. Fortunately, the story died a quick death. There were references here and there to this in subsequent articles, but for the most part it quickly became a non-issue.

No one can dispute the man's knowledge of the game and in previous managerial stints the deployment of his rosters. As you said, his greatest single talent may be in how he utilizes his BP, and as you also stated, there are few, if any BPs out there that match ours in talent and depth. So I'm more than willing to give TLR a lot of slack and see how he runs this team. Time will tell if it turned out indeed to be a genius move on Reinsdorf's part.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished mixing a tape....

John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
BB King
Howlin' Wolf
Lightnin' Hopkins
Jimmy Reed
Sonny Boy Williamson
Elmore James
Little Walter

.....love them blues.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished mixing a tape....

John Lee Hooker
Muddy Waters
BB King
Howlin' Wolf
Lightnin' Hopkins
Jimmy Reed
Sonny Boy Williamson
Elmore James
Little Walter

.....love them blues.
Sorry, but I don't see Blind Melon Chitlin here. No blues list is complete without him on it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1977_Topps_Chicago_White_Sox_Team_Card.jpg

Your 1977 Southside Hitmen - They look like a beer league team I was on once. Go Sox! Great year for Sox fans.

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I don't see Blind Melon Chitlin here. No blues list is complete without him on it.

I do have a mix with.....

Blind Lemon Jefferson
Blind Blake
Blind Willie Walker
Blind Willie Reynolds
Blind Teddy Darby
Blind Willie Johnson
Blind Boy Fuller
Blind Joe Taggard
Blind Mamie

Also blind...

Sleepy John Estes
Snooks Eaglin
Sonny Terry

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Abreu wants to sing the National Anthem before his career ends. If I tried to sing the National Anthem - my career would end immediately.

Note - Would Jose sing the Anthem - while Billy Russo translated it?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Abreu wants to sing the National Anthem before his career ends. If I tried to sing the National Anthem - my career would end immediately.

Note - Would Jose sing the Anthem - while Billy Russo translated it?
If I sang it, it would come across like the male version of Rosanne Barr's rendition. Remember that one?