• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qualifications for making the College Football Playoff

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, btw. TCU played in the MWC back then, and they were on the verge of getting AQ status until they were raided by the Big12/Pac12. If they had managed to keep the teams they had while adding Boise St they would have made AQ status easy.

The Big East was on the verge of losing AQ status before that conference fell apart.

As those things were based on performance. TCU played in a much tougher conference than UCF does today.

Half of the AAC were power league teams at one time. Cincinnati won the Big East in 2009. UCF beat Baylor in BCS bowl. Houston beat Florida State. UCF beat Auburn. Houston beat Oklahoma. The league has been pretty decent in years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no one SOS method and beauty contest formats judge SOS based on how difficult their schedule is. That said, 2017 UCF had three AP top 25 wins which ties for the most ever for a G5 team and their opponents had a combined winning record versus FBS competition which no other undefeated G5 ever did.

No they didn't. You can't take bowl wins and then pretend like it happened before the playoffs.

They beat #25 USF and #21 Memphis.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they didn't. You can't take bowl wins and then pretend like it happened before the playoffs.

They beat #25 USF and #21 Memphis.

I didn't. They beat Memphis twice.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half of the AAC were power league teams at one time. Cincinnati won the Big East in 2009. UCF beat Baylor in BCS bowl. Houston beat Florida State. UCF beat Auburn. Houston beat Oklahoma. The league has been pretty decent in years.

Yeah, the shitty half because the better parts were picked by the bigger conferences.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does fewer top 25 wins with the best win having lost to Troy scream playoff worthy?

Because all top25 teams are equal.

Btw - Troy probably could have gone undefeated and made the playoffs since you want to mention them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have the Heisman winner? :noidea:

I think it's cuz their coach has a last name that starts with the letter L and their QB's starts with the letter M, and they picked them because it was in alphabetical order.

#UCFacts

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's cuz their coach has a last name that starts with the letter L and their QB's starts with the letter M, and they picked them because it was in alphabetical order.

#UCFacts
Wait, what? Who’s coach’s last name starts with L?

Panabama71

Same Cat different Ass!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1-5 don’t suck. Don’t bitch, don’t cry, don’t cry while sucking and never play “Our Lady of the Worthless miracle”!
Then you might make the CFP!

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because all top25 teams are equal.

Btw - Troy probably could have gone undefeated and made the playoffs since you want to mention them.

I didn't say they were all equal. And you think an undefeated Troy makes the playoffs or you think I do?

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding more teams isn't going to change that dumbass. If you really want to stop seeing Alabama in there so much, go back the other direction.
Who the fuck said the goal was to keep Alabama out? All I said was it's contributing to the growing number of people who suddenly aren't happy with the current system.

carson

Death by inches
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,018.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it ain't going to change until the results of National Signing Day change.

How many people believe that the near future CFP participants WILL NOT come from the pool of teams in the top 20 recruiting classes in 2017, 2018 and 2019?
The SEC is going to dominate NSD until the end of time. The best athletes in the country reside in the Southeast. Most HS kids with talent pack their shit and move South now.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say they were all equal. And you think an undefeated Troy makes the playoffs or you think I do?

Sure you did, when you tried to cite "Top25 wins" as a meaningful stats. When you do that, you are saying they are equal. Otherwise, such a stat is meaningless.

And Troy would have had a schedule difficult enough to make the playoffs if they were undefeated. They played LSU which they won, and they also played Boise St.

Weird how some teams are able to get these games and some aren't. Why is it that we never see G5 teams doing both at the same time?

:think:

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure you did, when you tried to cite "Top25 wins" as a meaningful stats. When you do that, you are saying they are equal. Otherwise, such a stat is meaningless.

And Troy would have had a schedule difficult enough to make the playoffs if they were undefeated. They played LSU which they won, and they also played Boise St.

Weird how some teams are able to get these games and some aren't. Why is it that we never see G5 teams doing both at the same time?

:think:

I do not believe Top 25 wins are the be all end all stat nor do I believe all top 25 wins are equal. I used top 25 wins along with another stat to compare UCF's results to other top four teams especially BCS era top four teams at TCU. Again, 2017 UCF is one of only two nonpower/G5 teams to own three AP top 25 wins over the past 40 seasons. They are the only unbeaten no power team whose opponents won more than 50% of their FBS games. In comparison, 2010 TCU had one top 25 win that was #20 Utah. Their opponents won 43% of their FBS games. So 3 to 1, 50 to 43, and best win 19 vs 20. Yet, #12 with committee while TCU is #3 with BCS. And people act like UCF's schedule was the bottom of the barrel because they can cite one SOS method that backs up their perceptions which is the problem with this sport. It is all perception. We should place teams based on facts without regard to perceptions. Pick which facts you want to matter and leave it up the teams to post the best results according to chosen criteria. With any facts based system, better teams will have a competitive advantage for being better teams but that is all that being a better team should be worth: an advantage towards accomplishing what the rules in play value.

That said, if you can show/prove that Troy makes the playoffs with an undefeated run versus their schedule thereby providing all G5 teams a blueprint for making the playoffs, I'm sure they would welcome that information. It will also help if top P5 teams also had a competitive incentive to play top G5 teams as opposed to being able to schedule any G5 team without any real consequences with the committee for scheduling G5/FCS cupcakes.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not believe Top 25 wins are the be all end all stat nor do I believe all top 25 wins are equal. I used top 25 wins along with another stat to compare UCF's results to other top four teams especially BCS era top four teams at TCU. Again, 2017 UCF is one of only two nonpower/G5 teams to own three AP top 25 wins over the past 40 seasons. They are the only unbeaten no power team whose opponents won more than 50% of their FBS games. In comparison, 2010 TCU had one top 25 win that was #20 Utah. Their opponents won 43% of their FBS games. So 3 to 1, 50 to 43, and best win 19 vs 20. Yet, #12 with committee while TCU is #3 with BCS. And people act like UCF's schedule was the bottom of the barrel because they can cite one SOS method that backs up their perceptions which is the problem with this sport. It is all perception. We should place teams based on facts without regard to perceptions. Pick which facts you want to matter and leave it up the teams to post the best results according to chosen criteria. With any facts based system, better teams will have a competitive advantage for being better teams but that is all that being a better team should be worth: an advantage towards accomplishing what the rules in play value.

That said, if you can show/prove that Troy makes the playoffs with an undefeated run versus their schedule thereby providing all G5 teams a blueprint for making the playoffs, I'm sure they would welcome that information. It will also help if top P5 teams also had a competitive incentive to play top G5 teams as opposed to being able to schedule any G5 team without any real consequences with the committee for scheduling G5/FCS cupcakes.

Are you trying to suggest that G5 teams don't know what is needed to be done in order to make the playoffs?

:lol:

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you trying to suggest that G5 teams don't know what is needed to be done in order to make the playoffs?

:lol:

Arguably the best resume a G5 has had in 40 seasons got 12th with the committee. So what does it take? Bare minimum? If, for example, UCF had an OOC win versus Alabama this year or last, would that be enough? Demands of 2-3 top 25 wins vs P5 teams, all on the road, which some suggest, is more than what is expected of P5 schools. So is just beating LSU and Boise State enough even with a Sun Belt schedule? This is why rules and not a committee are needed. A committee cannot be trusted to be fair and consistent towards G5 schools.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't it called the College Football Playoff? Or is it called the Power 5 Football Playoff?

I think UCF should have been given a shot. Being 26-0 over the last two years with a win over Auburn in last year's bowl.

Not only did UCF beat a power 5 team, they beat a power 5 SEC team. Since ESPN always ejaculates SEC, that should have counted for something for UCF.

Yes, I thought UCF deserved a shot last year. Undefeated has got to count for something.

If I was a G5 school, i would sue the NCAA in a class action suit.