• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QBR rating.....who here believes it is a good stat?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching undisputed wtih Skip and Shannon a lot this year. I find it more entertaining than First Take but Skip Bayless has to be the biggest homer I have ever seen and he does not hide it. At times he cracks me up being in complete denial. He has repeatedly done two things this years that makes me shake my head.

1. For every mistep the Cowboys have had this year he always talks about what they did last year. He talks about how good they were last year. He always seems to ignore what is happening this year because he can't handle it and changes the subject to last year. (not really important but an observation. Hope this does not derail my question)

2. He pimps the QBR likes he created it. Every time he talks about Dak he creams his pants and brings up the QBR.

So back to my original question:

How many here think the QBR is a viable way to look at QB stats? Does it carry any weight with some of you?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe it is a good stat when it supports my argument. When it doesn't help me it's a piece of shit.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on, let me check if Wentz has a good QBR before deciding...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way. Is it just me or is PhillyGreen so obsessed with the Cowboys that even after his teams great start he seems to spend all of his time talking about Dallas?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on, let me check if Wentz has a good QBR before deciding...
Just like I thought, it shows Dak above Wentz. Now I get the real reason for the thread

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anything ESPN created is useless.

a freakin anchor came up with this, van pelt.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way. Is it just me or is PhillyGreen so obsessed with the Cowboys that even after his teams great start he seems to spend all of his time talking about Dallas?

You are as bad if not worse than most sensitive Cowboys fans. Why is it you get your panties in a wad when I say something about the Cowboys? To be honest I can't remember the last time I made a post about the Cowboys. Few days ago? Maybe a week? Anyways..... I am an Eagles fan so my daily mantra is Fuck the Cowboys. Got a problem with it? Too fucking bad.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are as bad if not worse than most sensitive Cowboys fans. Why is it you get your panties in a wad when I say something about the Cowboys? To be honest I can't remember the last time I made a post about the Cowboys. Few days ago? Maybe a week? Anyways..... I am an Eagles fan so my daily mantra is Fuck the Cowboys. Got a problem with it? Too fucking bad.
Actually I don't really care what you say. I think it is funny how obsessed you are. If a Cowboy thread exists...you'll be there:thumb:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anything ESPN created is useless.

a freakin anchor came up with this, van pelt.
Every stat has both some good and bad. You need to take them for what they are and not put too much weight on them. For example we all know completion % is important, but if one guy dinks and dunks all day and another throws downfield a lot more he should have a higher comp % and thus it does affect the relevance of the stat. Same with passing yards. If a team is always losing they will (in general) have more passing attempts and yards and TDs and probably Ints. We have become so stat based that people make these strong opinions on QBs they barely have watched with their own eyes. Is QBR a decent indicator of a QB having a good year? Of course it is. Can it also be very misleading? Absolutely

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every stat has both some good and bad. You need to take them for what they are and not put too much weight on them. For example we all know completion % is important, but if one guy dinks and dunks all day and another throws downfield a lot more he should have a higher comp % and thus it does affect the relevance of the stat.

no, comp% is comp%. how you get there should have zero bearing on it.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I watched that Skip Bayless thing, everytime Rodgers plays like a God, he loses his mind

He was using Sean lee not playing as an excuse for losing...Sean Lee NEVER plays

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it should. Further down the field you go, the lower the completion percentage.
ok, so in game a guy has 30 completions.

15 beyond 10 yards
15 under 10

what throws count and what ones dont, and how do you quantify that?

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I don't really care what you say. I think it is funny how obsessed you are. If a Cowboy thread exists...you'll be there:thumb:

Doubt that....but if you want to believe that go right ahead.

Was a legit question....I forgot there was even a QBR until I started watching Undisputed. Skip Bayless is only analyst I heard actually using it. Skip mentioned that Dak was ahead of Wentz but I did not care. Wentz is playing better this year IMO......the laughable thing is that Deshaun Watson is the best QB in the NFL if you give the QBR any weight. Case Keenum is #5...... Wentz is #3. So the stat is laughable becuse 4 out of the top 5 don't belong. Alex Smith is the only ranking it got right.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other words, fouts threw downfield more than montana, so fouts comp% shouldnt be seen as statistically inferior?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, so in game a guy has 30 completions.

15 beyond 10 yards
15 under 10

what throws count and what ones dont, and how do you quantify that?
If we study the math on it long enough, I am sure we could calculate what an abstract "true completion percentage" is to accommodate for how far the ball was thrown. Some assumptions about difficulty (coverage bust downfield vs tight coverage under 10 yards) but it could be done. Certainly not impossible.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we study the math on it long enough, I am sure we could calculate what an abstract "true completion percentage" is to accommodate for how far the ball was thrown. Some assumptions about difficulty (coverage bust downfield vs tight coverage under 10 yards) but it could be done. Certainly not impossible.
so we would punish short, accurate passing attacks like NO or NE becaue they "dont chuck it downfield and pray"?