• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QBR rating.....who here believes it is a good stat?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBR is fine but like most stats it's pretty useless til you're 10-12 games into the year . Right now a few big statistical games can put a guy in the top 5 even if he's played poorly a few times . I'd imagine Watson ranks high in QBR and he's been average for large portions of the season but a great game vs NE and some garbage scores vs KC probably have him top 5

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBR is fine but like most stats it's pretty useless til you're 10-12 games into the year . Right now a few big statistical games can put a guy in the top 5 even if he's played poorly a few times . I'd imagine Watson ranks high in QBR and he's been average for large portions of the season but a great game vs NE and some garbage scores vs KC probably have him top 5

Don't forget about the other 5td game he had vs Tenn. 5 games is a small sampling but he has been pretty damn impressive in his last 3 games

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget about the other 5td game he had vs Tenn. 5 games is a small sampling but he has been pretty damn impressive in his last 3 games
I'll give him 2. NE and Tenn. He played pretty average football the first game and a half and was quite pedestrian the first 3 quarters vs KC. Great 4Q but a lot of those yards were on a wing and a prayer. Don't get me wrong he's been good for a rookie and acceptable or better overall but he's not a top 12 QB and I would guess he's far better than that in QBR

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give him 2. NE and Tenn. He played pretty average football the first game and a half and was quite pedestrian the first 3 quarters vs KC. Great 4Q but a lot of those yards were on a wing and a prayer. Don't get me wrong he's been good for a rookie and acceptable or better overall but he's not a top 12 QB and I would guess he's far better than that in QBR

Sure but who puts up great no#s vs that KC defense. They make Brady look so so sometimes and picked off Peyton 4 out of his 5 attempts his last season

RomeDawg1956

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so we would punish short, accurate passing attacks like NO or NE becaue they "dont chuck it downfield and pray"?

I'm no Pats fan but their passing attack clearly is an outgrowth of Walsh's West Coast attack with S.F.
They do go downfield as often as most. The difference in their offense and some others is like Walsh those short to mid- routes heavy on slants and picks serves the purpose of a traditional run to set up the pass offense.
The Falcons used it last year to great affect, of course Shannahan has completed the circle back to S.F. where his daddy served his apprenticeship.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have been watching undisputed wtih Skip and Shannon a lot this year. I find it more entertaining than First Take but Skip Bayless has to be the biggest homer I have ever seen and he does not hide it. At times he cracks me up being in complete denial. He has repeatedly done two things this years that makes me shake my head.

1. For every mistep the Cowboys have had this year he always talks about what they did last year. He talks about how good they were last year. He always seems to ignore what is happening this year because he can't handle it and changes the subject to last year. (not really important but an observation. Hope this does not derail my question)

2. He pimps the QBR likes he created it. Every time he talks about Dak he creams his pants and brings up the QBR.

So back to my original question:

How many here think the QBR is a viable way to look at QB stats? Does it carry any weight with some of you?

QBR isn't a stat. And I don't mean it's not a legitimate stat; it's literally not a stat.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure but who puts up great no#s vs that KC defense. They make Brady look so so sometimes and picked off Peyton 4 out of his 5 attempts his last season

He put up a lot of those numbers in garbage time. He only completed 50% of his passes and 2 of those TD's came real late when the game was over. For the most part I still think he played well because he is a rookie. He showed me a lot in that game.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skip Bayless is a huge believer as long as Prescott has a higher QBR than Rodgers like in Sundays game

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He put up a lot of those numbers in garbage time. He only completed 50% of his passes and 2 of those TD's came real late when the game was over. For the most part I still think he played well because he is a rookie. He showed me a lot in that game.
Yep. His stat line looks like this with 3:21 left in the game with a 39-20 score:

10/22 (45.5%~)

149 Yards (6.7 YPA)

At least 3 interceptable passes (See Cian for gifs)

3 TD's

That's pretty terrible outside of the TD's, much of that fueled primarily by the running game in between the 20's outside of a very nice throw to Fuller.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as comp. pct.
I really think it should be separated into 4 sets of comp. pct.
up to 5yds
5+ to 15 yds
15+ to 25 yds
25+ yds
(or something to this nature)
not just one overall pct. to create their formula from.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea of something like QBR is good in theory because a guy can have great stats, but play poorly and vice versa.

Although any such measure, similar to WAR, is mostly subjective. Two people can watch the same player and draw different conclusions.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I understand that but he played great vs NE, scored 5 tds vs Tenn and 5 -2 junk vs KC. I had KC winning but might have been closer if Watt didn't go down so early in game. I'm not in love with this kid, but said during draft that I think he is the best of the group. I feel for teams like Houston, Cleveland etc that can't catch a break in the QB dept. It's still early and me might not pan out, but not sold on Kizer at all, Trubs might be good, but needs some recovers and Mahomes ehh, no sample to judge him from and the conf he played, it was just air it out, usually doesn't translate well in NFL game. Chich and Houston needed a QB, and all Smith does is win games, and now he is putting up unbelievable no#s

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been watching undisputed wtih Skip and Shannon a lot this year. I find it more entertaining than First Take but Skip Bayless has to be the biggest homer I have ever seen and he does not hide it. At times he cracks me up being in complete denial. He has repeatedly done two things this years that makes me shake my head.

1. For every mistep the Cowboys have had this year he always talks about what they did last year. He talks about how good they were last year. He always seems to ignore what is happening this year because he can't handle it and changes the subject to last year. (not really important but an observation. Hope this does not derail my question)

2. He pimps the QBR likes he created it. Every time he talks about Dak he creams his pants and brings up the QBR.

So back to my original question:

How many here think the QBR is a viable way to look at QB stats? Does it carry any weight with some of you?

Very misleading IMO.....If you have a team with an outstanding run game, the qb is not passing near as much as a team that has no run game, so their stats will be far different because of the teams philosophy and strength....
We won the SB in 2000 with Trent Dilfer with a powerful run game and a great D.....His stats were not impressive, then we brought in Elvis Grbac the next yr that had thrown for 4000 yrds the yr before and he tanked.....
Stats are for bragging when you got em and trashing them when you don't....Other than that, I only rely on the win/loss stat myself.....:D

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in other words, fouts threw downfield more than montana, so fouts comp% shouldnt be seen as statistically inferior?

Fouts was a far superior thrower of the football than Montana could ever be. If Bill Walsh had been gifted Dan Fouts instead of the dink and dunk system QB out of the midwest shithole known as Notre Dame he probably would have won 10 - 11 SBs.