• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PRESEASON THREAD

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey ATL, did you watch the Atlanta - Cincy game? How did Harrison look?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I think Pitt has some work to do. Some of you from ESPN forums may recall my stat regurgitations when it came to talking about Danny Smith... I quickly came to the defense that "well it couldn't get any worse," since our last year's unit was pretty awful. And not to mention Smith had a few good stat liners to chew on. So yea, I'll admit I was feeling quite comfortable with our special teams unit under new coaching, but wow that game was a real eye opener! I'm hoping that at some point this preseason we can chalk up that first game to "preseason jitters", or else we are in for more regular season 4th down nail biters.

A few more thoughts on the first game:
1) Move over Dwyer & Redman... Stevens-Howling blew that competition out of the water in game 1. Some could argue that O-line depth is more the issue here, but from what I saw out of Dwyer at least, was the same RB last year that couldn't get his feet out of the mud behind the line.
2) William Gay showed that he is still....well... William Gay! It shows how vulnerable our secondary can be without Cortez. It was kind of a bummer to see Shmarko in the nickel position because it gave DC-S more time to look average (something we already knew). But at least Shmarko got a lot of playing time.
3) Forgive me for ever doubting Al Woods! (ATL may give me a hard time here)
4) Our linebacker corps has ridiculous depth! The only person I didn't see much of was Chris Carter, could be either a good or bad thing!
5) The #3 QB spot is definitely reserved for a real "Piece of Work". Does anyone still have Charlie Batch's phone number???
6) The WR's all looked great! My only concern out of the pass catchers was Paulson's blocking, or lack thereof. In the meantime, I'll be praying for a story title that headlines: "Miller (and/or D. Johnson) activated from PUP"

It was only a Preseason game, there is still some good things to take from the opener. Thank god Burghsouth isn't here to light torches and grab the pitchforks...

:laugh3:

GetRiot

Warn the others...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i want to see what jarvis can do, more than anything. Im not so worried about wallace bein gone with the reciever corps we have.

Hey sport, long time

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't see it...I did hear on sports talk that CIN starters kind of handled the Falcon starters...I'm not expecting a big year from JH...7-8 sacks maybe.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I think Pitt has some work to do. Some of you from ESPN forums may recall my stat regurgitations when it came to talking about Danny Smith... I quickly came to the defense that "well it couldn't get any worse," since our last year's unit was pretty awful. And not to mention Smith had a few good stat liners to chew on. So yea, I'll admit I was feeling quite comfortable with our special teams unit under new coaching, but wow that game was a real eye opener! I'm hoping that at some point this preseason we can chalk up that first game to "preseason jitters", or else we are in for more regular season 4th down nail biters.

1) Move over Dwyer & Redman... Stevens-Howling blew that competition out of the water in game 1. Some could argue that O-line depth is more the issue here, but from what I saw out of Dwyer at least, was the same RB last year that couldn't get his feet out of the mud behind the line.
2) William Gay showed that he is still....well... William Gay! It shows how vulnerable our secondary can be without Cortez. It was kind of a bummer to see Shmarko in the nickel position because it gave DC-S more time to look average (something we already knew). But at least Shmarko got a lot of playing time.
4) Our linebacker corps has ridiculous depth! The only person I didn't see much of was Chris Carter, could be either a good or bad thing!
5) The #3 QB spot is definitely reserved for a real "Piece of Work". Does anyone still have Charlie Batch's phone number???
6) The WR's all looked great! My only concern out of the pass catchers was Paulson's blocking, or lack thereof. In the meantime, I'll be praying for a story title that headlines: "Miller (and/or D. Johnson) activated from PUP"

It was only a Preseason game, there is still some good things to take from the opener. Thank god Burghsouth isn't here to light torches and grab the pitchforks...

:laugh3:

Good post...admittedly I did not see much of the game Sat. night.

RBs...I'm hearing what you saw. Redman/Dwyer still look slow hitting the hole...Howling showed the quickness we need back there. Next week to learn more about Bell in a game hopefully.

CBs...I think people will see that Gay was brought back as insurance with experience more than anything. I expect to see Allen, Taylor, & C Brown or Hawthorne @ nickel when the dust settles.

DL...lol...nah, I just heard he was playing well in camp...I think Woods is going to end up playing a good bit this year.

bsanko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FaCe-LeE-uS: you are right, the team needs some work, but it was only the first preseason game. I wasn't impressed with Dwyer, Gilreath or John Paul Wilson. Tuitupou, Ta'amu, and LaRod Stephens-Howling played well. Troy Polamalu missed two tackles and one resulting in a TD.

Looking forward to Monday's game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Dwyer and Redman are going to reignite this RB battle, they are going to need to play with more of a sense of urgency. To me it looked like they were playing like they have full job security. All that SportsHoopla over them losing weight surely didn't make any difference in how they moved behind the line, but I think they can do better than that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus... I just read that we lost Cheadle... So next in line is Golic Jr.? An undersized Guard with college strength is all I have ever read about him. But if Long and/or Farrell progress quickly, then Beachum & Malecki can hold down the interior backups. I definitely wouldn't feel very comfortable with Batiste & Whimper! We will know soon if we see some roster additions.

Last edited by a moderator:

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My take on the games was as follows:

1. Jon Dwyer better start packing his bags. This is not so much because of how LSH played, but rather how poorly Dwyer played. They both saw time with the 1st unit and Dwyer looked lost, especially in the passing game. Because LSH is also valuable in the return game means he is a cynch to make the team.
  2. I like the look of Markus Wheaton. The great "non catch" on the sideline was still a catch in my book, and the 3rd down reception he went low to get while getting hammered was a sign of both his hands and toughness. The end around wass gravy and shows that the Steelers used him just as they said he would be used.
  3. Do the Steelers have luck drafting WR's named "Brown" in the 6th round or what? Justin looked pretty good, as did Woods on a nice sideline and leaping grab when he got undercut.
  4. There wasn't a lot of good passing going on in the game, so I didn't get a good read on the Steeler secondary. That must have been a blown coverage allowing Cruz to slip past 2 defenders. I have seen too many highlights lately of Polamalu behind receivers as they take off for the endzone. Just saying...
  5. I saw Jarvis Jones in on a few plays and creating some pressure. Worilds had a sack. If they both play well, that is a win/win for the Steelers.
  6. Landry Jones better shape up. Forget about the fumble. Sometimes that just happens. I am more worried about the jittery steps in the pocket.
  7. The thing I am most happy about is that they came out of the game healthy. It seems that every year we lose an O-Lineman in the pre-season, and I just want this unit to gel. Down two tight ends, we need good health from all of our receivers, as we may go 3-wide a lot more often.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why

But JH was a topic for the local sportstalk guys and they...oh, his stance on HBO Hardknocks.

They said he was playing a OLB, but in a 4-3, the WIL spot...played well apparently. I still don't fear them, but CIN should be a solid team this year.

MISKO

STILLERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we reported earlier last week, Plaxico Burress tore his rotator cuff and will miss the season. The Steelers standing receiving corps, largely consisting of three guys–Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Jerricho Cotchery–is thinning. The Heath Miller situation is a whole other matter entirely, but for now let’s just say the Steelers have been better off in this unit in the past than right this second.

Besides coaching rookies like 3rd Round Pick Markus Wheaton, the Steelers need depth now for the preseason and beyond. So today they signed undrafted rookie free agent Tyler Shaw from Arizona and placed Plaxico on injured reserve.

Shaw is a 5’11” receiver from Northwest Missouri State (the fightin’ Bearcats). In is career there, he had over 3,000 yards on 166 receptions and 32 touchdowns, which is a lot.

Shaw is a replacement part for the full 90-man roster the Steelers must have at camp. We wish the kid luck in competing at Latrobe. It’s a shame Plax won’t get to play this season, but he’ll likely still be a mentor for these young guys throughout the year. Go Steelers.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we reported earlier last week, Plaxico Burress tore his rotator cuff and will miss the season. The Steelers standing receiving corps, largely consisting of three guys–Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, and Jerricho Cotchery–is thinning. The Heath Miller situation is a whole other matter entirely, but for now let’s just say the Steelers have been better off in this unit in the past than right this second.

Besides coaching rookies like 3rd Round Pick Markus Wheaton, the Steelers need depth now for the preseason and beyond. So today they signed undrafted rookie free agent Tyler Shaw from Arizona and placed Plaxico on injured reserve.

Shaw is a 5’11” receiver from Northwest Missouri State (the fightin’ Bearcats). In is career there, he had over 3,000 yards on 166 receptions and 32 touchdowns, which is a lot.

Shaw is a replacement part for the full 90-man roster the Steelers must have at camp. We wish the kid luck in competing at Latrobe. It’s a shame Plax won’t get to play this season, but he’ll likely still be a mentor for these young guys throughout the year. Go Steelers.

Yep...might be the end of the road for Plax...I was hoping he would be a big RZ player. The reports I'm getting from the bloggers at camp...both Wheaton and Justin Brown are looking as if they might contribute this yr. Barring a major collapse, Brown will likely make the 53.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the Shaw signing also serves as a message to Gilreath and Dunn. Because Shaw has outstanding returning ability along with good college statistics. We need that needed the extra motivation, especially after Gilreath's muffed punt.

I agree with both of you that this is more than likely the end of the road for Plax. He will be a great sideline mentor this year regardless. I thought they would have used Plax's 90-man roster place to sign another O-lineman. But I read that they are now listing Whimper at Guard, which is interesting to say the least. Needless to say, O-line depth is a major concern for me right now. If anything like last season happens, then Ben is in for a loooooong season (or short-lived, if you catch my drift)!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL depth...To be honest I'm still wanting to see the starting 5 establish themselves as a legit playoff caliber OL. I think every team in the league is thin @ OL...but if your starting 5 is strong, you can survive an injury better because the 4 proven guys can pick him up.

Like most every other Steeler fan, I'm really just wanting to get through these preseason games with the 5 starters intact.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Pitt will have a great outing tomorrow. They got a few people back from injuries and the position competitions are going to get more exciting! I hope they let Bell play!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gameday!!!!!

Where's Burghsouth on this glorious day?

:lm:

rokketmn

The Maven
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something that said that Emmanuel Sanders has been the star receiver at camp this year, outshining AB. He has also been good on the deep ball from Ben. This also means that we will not be able to re-sign Sanders either.

Also, with Wallace gone, this will allow Brown to run more deep routes, and that can keep the defenses honest if both he and Sanders are capable.

Haley also said that Wheaton fits into the offensive scheme more than Wallace did. That's not a stretch since Wallace was mostly a vertical guy, and Wheaton can play from the slot and run the underneath routes.

I wonder if the Steelers play Cortez Allen tonight for a few plays or if they play it cautious since he just resumed practicing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read something that said that Emmanuel Sanders has been the star receiver at camp this year, outshining AB. He has also been good on the deep ball from Ben. This also means that we will not be able to re-sign Sanders either.

Also, with Wallace gone, this will allow Brown to run more deep routes, and that can keep the defenses honest if both he and Sanders are capable.

Haley also said that Wheaton fits into the offensive scheme more than Wallace did. That's not a stretch since Wallace was mostly a vertical guy, and Wheaton can play from the slot and run the underneath routes.

I wonder if the Steelers play Cortez Allen tonight for a few plays or if they play it cautious since he just resumed practicing.

Sanders...playing for a FA deal, it's now or never for him. I still don't see him getting a huge deal though...#2 WR money 5yrs/$35m/$15m g.

Wheaton...what else do you really expect Haley to say? Wheaton is here Wallace is not...I hope the kid plays well out the gate as he's most likely going to be the #2 WR next yr...Justin Brown is gaining steam I'm hearing.

Allen...they might give him some snaps...Bell I hear is starting tonight, but they already know what Allen can do.