• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Preseason Game #4 NY Giants vs Pats 8/31/2017

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, @Yankee Traveler , @BigKen , and me are all safety guys. We should be able to help the Patriots get through this season? Think they'll call us?
They'll definitely be calling Ken the moment any player starts to reach under a running mower.

(Ken - for your sil, I can see it happening when you "know it's safe" regardless of the "never go near a running mower" comments the twitter universe would throw out. It might be better for the manufacturer to not make it safe in the first place.)

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to make certain I understand something in regard to the accident. Was the mower actually running when the two lifted it and placed their hand under the deck? Am I understanding this? A simple yes or no please.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want to make certain I understand something in regard to the accident. Was the mower actually running when the two lifted it and placed their hand under the deck? Am I understanding this? A simple yes or no please.

All accidents are preventable. That said, when I do an investigation, I look at all facts. Eventually, there is always a determination of what the injured party could have done differently. At the end of the day, manufacturers are required to have product liability insurance because they will be culpable also.
The attorney said, "he would not have been injured by that lawnmower if you had not manufactured it"

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All accidents are preventable. That said, when I do an investigation, I look at all facts. Eventually, there is always a determination of what the injured party could have done differently. At the end of the day, manufacturers are required to have product liability insurance because they will be culpable also.
The attorney said, "he would not have been injured by that lawnmower if you had not manufactured it"
That does not answer the question.

And it sounds from what I read the manufacturer built the machine with the safety device that appears to have been tampered with. How would one know he did not tamper with it? I ask because if you are dumb enough to put you hand under the deck of a mower while it's running then you are probably dumb enough to tamper with the safety product if you find it inconvenient.

It's law suits like this in American that drive me nuts we can't keep rewarding stupidity.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise, but...

@RapSheet

#Patriots CB and returner Cyrus Jones is out for the season with a torn ACL and partially torn meniscus, source said. Brutal.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No surprise, but...

@RapSheet

#Patriots CB and returner Cyrus Jones is out for the season with a torn ACL and partially torn meniscus, source said. Brutal.
I had lost any hope that he was going to amount to anything, and I had high hopes for the kid, he's shown little to nothing at the next level IMO this a break for the Pats, makes not giving him a roster spot that much easier.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it sounds from what I read the manufacturer built the machine with the safety device that appears to have been tampered with. How would one know he did not tamper with it? I ask because if you are dumb enough to put you hand under the deck of a mower while it's running then you are probably dumb enough to tamper with the safety product if you find it inconvenient.

It's law suits like this in American that drive me nuts we can't keep rewarding stupidity.
Dude, Can you be anymore insensitive? Ken is one of our own and if he says someone else messed with it then that's good enough me. We don't need to compare this to "everything that's wrong with America". Assuming the facts are what Ken says they are then this case has merit.

Maybe he did do it himself, but unless we're commissioned to investigate, it's really not part of OUR discussion. Before you come back to me with "I'll discuss what I want", go get your own story from the headlines to disect. I'll be happy to engage.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, Can you be anymore insensitive? Ken is one of our own and if he says someone else messed with it then that's good enough me. We don't need to compare this to "everything that's wrong with America". Assuming the facts are what Ken says they are then this case has merit.

Maybe he did do it himself, but unless we're commissioned to investigate, it's really not part of OUR discussion. Before you come back to me with "I'll discuss what I want", go get your own story from the headlines to disect. I'll be happy to engage.
I could be more insensitive if I were being insensitive to begin with which I am not. I am simply asking a question to determine a result. Are you going to sit at the opposite end of my keyboard and honestly tell me that the thought never crossed your mind? Nothing wrong with asking the question, not in my opinion.

I was not discussing all that was wrong with America because that is a probe for the political board which for the most part I do not delve into. But seeing as we were talking a law suit I was only responding to topic matter which had already been breached. And it's a legit question or comment sooner or later we have to hold people responsible for personal actions.

I do not feel I insulted Ken I was simply asking the questions I feel most are avoiding whilst trying to be SENSITIVE.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, @Yankee Traveler , @BigKen , and me are all safety guys. We should be able to help the Patriots get through this season? Think they'll call us?

I swear on my grandson's life........about 5 years ago I did ergonomic evaluations for Belichick's Assistant and Nick Caserio's offices. I met Ivan Fears, Josh and Matt P.AND BB stopped to talk with me for about 45 seconds. I also got to look....not go inside BB's office. Steel door with Laser lock. NO windows. Caserio's office is the WAR ROOM on Draft Day. I was in """AWE"""

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be more insensitive if I were being insensitive to begin with which I am not. I am simply asking a question to determine a result. Are you going to sit at the opposite end of my keyboard and honestly tell me that the thought never crossed your mind? Nothing wrong with asking the question, not in my opinion.

I was not discussing all that was wrong with America because that is a probe for the political board which for the most part I do not delve into. But seeing as we were talking a law suit I was only responding to topic matter which had already been breached. And it's a legit question or comment sooner or later we have to hold people responsible for personal actions.

I do not feel I insulted Ken I was simply asking the questions I feel most are avoiding whilst trying to be SENSITIVE.

There is an old Chinese proverb:
You cannot prevent a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop it from building a nest in your hair.

Of course it crossed our minds! Why would we be so insensitive to Ken, who's family member was injured?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an old Chinese proverb:
You cannot prevent a bird from flying over your head, but you can stop it from building a nest in your hair.

Of course it crossed our minds! Why would we be so insensitive to Ken, who's family member was injured?
So it's insensitive to ask a question? A logical question? Ahh I just realized who I am replying to, was not paying attention. It makes sense to me now, no I don't feel I was being insensitive it was a question.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unfortunately society has progressed to the point that people actually rely on safety devices. In many instances we rely on them unknowingly and in others we rely on them very consciously.

We slam on our brakes and never give a thought about anti lock brakes but expect them to modulate the stopping power right on the verge of lock up. Some of us may actually know how to pump the brakes still or feather the throttle to maintain momentum AND wheelspin. We have to stop and expect the brakes to work but the need to know how to pump brakes has been engineered out of us.

We also lean on handrails expecting that they will support us from falling over, we make a conscious decision to lean on it but most have no idea whether or on it will deflect less than 3 inches in any direction when a 200 lb force is applied.

All mowers are required to have safety switches to prevent this. Expecting that a safety device would not be tampered with is not dumb. If you worked for a company and were given a fleet vehicle would you expect the anti-lock brakes to work? What if the company mechanic pulled the fuse? Are you the stupid one that drove the vehicle with disabled anti-locks?

Somewhere in this thread it was written that the safety switch was "intamperable" or something to that effect.
If the manufacturer made that promise are they not liable?

I say again...
Workers comp.
Manufacturer.
Company.
Mechanic.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately society has progressed to the point that people actually rely on safety devices. In many instances we rely on them unknowingly and in others we rely on them very consciously.

We slam on our brakes and never give a thought about anti lock brakes but expect them to modulate the stopping power right on the verge of lock up. Some of us may actually know how to pump the brakes still or feather the throttle to maintain momentum AND wheelspin. We have to stop and expect the brakes to work but the need to know how to pump brakes has been engineered out of us.

We also lean on handrails expecting that they will support us from falling over, we make a conscious decision to lean on it but most have no idea whether or on it will deflect less than 3 inches in any direction when a 200 lb force is applied.

All mowers are required to have safety switches to prevent this. Expecting that a safety device would not be tampered with is not dumb. If you worked for a company and were given a fleet vehicle would you expect the anti-lock brakes to work? What if the company mechanic pulled the fuse? Are you the stupid one that drove the vehicle with disabled anti-locks?

Somewhere in this thread it was written that the safety switch was "intamperable" or something to that effect.
If the manufacturer made that promise are they not liable?

I say again...
Workers comp.
Manufacturer.
Company.
Mechanic.
And I am pretty sure the owners manual tells you, do not place hand or feet under deck while mower is running. Apples and Oranges here.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am pretty sure the owners manual tells you, do not place hand or feet under deck while mower is running. Apples and Oranges here.

I don't think anybody here disagrees with you. I'll stick a hand under a mower only after the spark plug is removed. Again, behind every injury there is a bad decision.
Bad decision or not, the attorneys will have their day.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's insensitive to ask a question? A logical question? Ahh I just realized who I am replying to, was not paying attention. It makes sense to me now, no I don't feel I was being insensitive it was a question.
I fail to see the question in this: "It's law suits like this in American that drive me nuts we can't keep rewarding stupidity."

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO...it was stalled and he was off the seat. The mower is supposed to be shut off and non operational when the driver is not in the seat.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son in law is NOT the maintenance mechanic. He does no repair or maintenance on any equipment. He is a crew leader and operates mowers and very small backhoes. He's 36 years old and knows not to stick his hand under a mower when the blade is turning.

When he pick up the mower with his helper, they were holding the edge of the blade shield.

I'm having a difficult time with your inability to understand and your accusal of my son in law in regards to tampering with the mower. From my ignorant point of view, you appear to be doing anything you can to blame him.

1. The manufacturer design should not allow the interlock to be bypassed or disabled and the equipment to be operable.
2. The owner of the equipment should have strict rules that use OSHA standards as a minimum not to disable interlocks on any equipment.
3. No one should be allowed to disable any interlocks on equipment, nor should anyone be instructed to do so.
4. Accidents are preventable when all rules are followed. When someone breaks a rule, generally someone else gets hurt.

May I ask that further discussion of this incident be terminated. When the State Police, OSHA and the insurance companies have completed their investigations, if I get the details and summaries, I'll share them with you.
I can tell you this....the mower has been impounded and will be sent to be totally broken down, piece by piece and catalogued. I'm pretty sure my son in law will be informed.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO...it was stalled and he was off the seat. The mower is supposed to be shut off and non operational when the driver is not in the seat.
Well hell yeah then I hope he gets a shit load of cash. What was make so I can avoid

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hell yeah then I hope he gets a shit load of cash. What was make so I can avoid
You have an estate large enough that you need a 60" "exCel" mower???