• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential Giant Asterisk

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so very unlikely, but what if the Lakers win the Championship this year? Kobe Bryant could literally limp into his Jordan tying sixth ring.

My first reaction is, No Way would Kobe get a ring if he can't play in the Playoffs! But, I believe it is the teams choice who receives a ring and would the Lakers deny Kobe a ring for his injury? And really it was Kobe's excellent play during the season that lead to the Lakers even sniffing a playoff birth; without his outstanding play they would be in the lottery.

On the other hand, what does this say about Kobe and this team? If they can win the Championship with Kobe out the team will have played better without him than with him.

Just some curious thoughts crossing my mind with the playoffs starting. Wondering what others think although the point is likely moot.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is so very unlikely, but what if the Lakers win the Championship this year? Kobe Bryant could literally limp into his Jordan tying sixth ring.

My first reaction is, No Way would Kobe get a ring if he can't play in the Playoffs! But, I believe it is the teams choice who receives a ring and would the Lakers deny Kobe a ring for his injury? And really it was Kobe's excellent play during the season that lead to the Lakers even sniffing a playoff birth; without his outstanding play they would be in the lottery.

On the other hand, what does this say about Kobe and this team? If they can win the Championship with Kobe out the team will have played better without him than with him.

Just some curious thoughts crossing my mind with the playoffs starting. Wondering what others think although the point is likely moot.

interesting thought on the matter. if it DID happen i could definitely see your argument that Kobe doesn't deserve it, but on the other hand there's the matter of him helping the Lakers to get to the playoffs in the first place. lol, guess that WOULD stir up a big ol' controversy cloud...

as a Lakers fan i guess my thought on the matter might be biased, but i have to lean with the argument that IF it did happen then Kobe's contributions imo couldn't be overlooked. so like it or not i'd say he earned the ring. now i'll probably catch crap for it, but that's what i think...

CL67

Sam Sportboy

Can't all be winners kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a Lakers fan i guess my thought on the matter might be biased, but i have to lean with the argument that IF it did happen then Kobe's contributions imo couldn't be overlooked. so like it or not i'd say he earned the ring. now i'll probably catch crap for it, but that's what i think...

I'd have to say his contribution this year would warrant his receiving his 6th ring...........that said if by some miracle they did pull it off then the Kobe haters would have some pretty serious ammo.............
Sam

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course Kobe would get a ring!! As you pointed out, without him the Lakers are in the lottery.

While the chances of them winning a ring without him are extremely remote, it wouldn't necessarily mean that the Lakers were better without him.

It would mean that guys like Dwight, Pau and Nash played like they were supposed to given their status in the league and that guys like Blake, Meeks, Clark, MWP, etc played over their heads.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the chances of them winning a ring without him are extremely remote, it wouldn't necessarily mean that the Lakers were better without him.

It would mean that guys like Dwight, Pau and Nash played like they were supposed to given their status in the league and that guys like Blake, Meeks, Clark, MWP, etc played over their heads.

And by definition that would be better than they did with him. Yes, they were supposed to play that way all season, but for various reasons they did not and relied on Kobe's almost superhuman effort to carry them to playoff contention.

For the record, I feel he should get the ring if the scenario unfolds. However, I agree that it would be serious ammo for the haters if his ring count ends there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by definition that would be better than they did with him. Yes, they were supposed to play that way all season, but for various reasons they did not and relied on Kobe's almost superhuman effort to carry them to playoff contention.

For the record, I feel he should get the ring if the scenario unfolds. However, I agree that it would be serious ammo for the haters if his ring count ends there.

Not necessarily that they did better without him. The Lakers were 20-8 over the last 28 games and all but 2 were with Kobe. So, it would basically mean that they hit their stride with him and were able to maintain the momentum well enough to win 16 more games. One could make the argument that they would have had an easier time winning it with him in the lineup.

If the unlikely scenario of the Lakers pulling this off actually happened, I would be inclined to agree with the haters re: his 6th ring not adding much to his legacy since he was sidelined for the playoffs.

Thumper

The "winners" won't let me post.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd have to say his contribution this year would warrant his receiving his 6th ring...........that said if by some miracle they did pull it off then the Kobe haters would have some pretty serious ammo.............
Sam

I still say the "Kobe-Haters" would have NO AMMO. They will whine no matter what happens. How is that ammo? They are just jealous people. :lm:

People who wish Kobe was on their team. No more, no less. If Kobe went to their team, they would buy his new jersey on Day One! :drama:

Rolln300

"Let It Be"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say he does deserve the ring if they get there simply because through this whole season he was on the floor leading them to where they are now when a lot of other guys were hurt for long stretches. He did what he could to keep them in the playoff race and when he finally got injured the others were healthy for the most part and stepped up their game a s a team.
Without Kobe's play during the regular season they could or should I say would be looking at a lottery pick :suds:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a contrary position:

The #1 reason that Kobe-hater had a field day was that they believed Kobe essentially ball-hogged and played hero ball for the first half of the season.

And, honestly there was a lot of truth to the argument. It was no coincidence the team was losing when Howard was getting a handful of charity touches and Gasol was not even around.

When Kobe started, begrudgingly, giving up the Batman role and letting Robin Howard be the primary focus, the team started winning a little bit more.

Now, that Kobe is gone. The team looks great. They are utilizing their primary advantage in size and strength down low. Dwight is getting his touches.

In fact, everyone is getting touches. The ball is moving into the post and back out. They look like a totally different and dangerous team.

You could make a very strong, reasonable, and not hating argument that this lakers team right now (without Kobe) could be a 50-55 win team with D12 as the guy.

Look at Memphis without Gay. They are 100 times more dangerous when the offense is Gasol/Z-Bo and not the 2 guard jacking up a ton of shots.

So, if the Lakers win. Kobe would deserve some form of "what if" asterisk.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a contrary position:

The #1 reason that Kobe-hater had a field day was that they believed Kobe essentially ball-hogged and played hero ball for the first half of the season.

And, honestly there was a lot of truth to the argument. It was no coincidence the team was losing when Howard was getting a handful of charity touches and Gasol was not even around.

When Kobe started, begrudgingly, giving up the Batman role and letting Robin Howard be the primary focus, the team started winning a little bit more.

Now, that Kobe is gone. The team looks great. They are utilizing their primary advantage in size and strength down low. Dwight is getting his touches.

In fact, everyone is getting touches. The ball is moving into the post and back out. They look like a totally different and dangerous team.

You could make a very strong, reasonable, and not hating argument that this lakers team right now (without Kobe) could be a 50-55 win team with D12 as the guy.

Look at Memphis without Gay. They are 100 times more dangerous when the offense is Gasol/Z-Bo and not the 2 guard jacking up a ton of shots.

So, if the Lakers win. Kobe would deserve some form of "what if" asterisk.

The problem with this argument is that the players that you are talking about are not the players now that they were early in the season when Kobe was playing "hero ball". Dwight's back was nowhere near as strong as it is now which is why it has just been over the last 20+ games that we have seen the Dwight that looks more like he did in Orlando.

Earlier in the season we weren't seeing the Dwight who could jump, recover and go right back up after rebounds, blocks, etc. that we have seen lately.

"Haters" want to paint it that the early struggles were Kobe's fault and say that him begrudgingly giving up the "hero ball" and then getting hurt himself is why the Lakers are playing better, but they don't want to take into account that it has only been the last few games when his teammates (particularly D-12 and Pau) have started to get healthy.

Rolln300

"Let It Be"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post horns but I still think without Kobe they don't get this far this season. I don't think Dwight could have carried the team early in the season with his recovery and everyone learning a new system. Which I don't think they are even using at this point in the season.

I agree that he needed more touches and as the season went on it did start happening and his game got better.

I would have to say the guys on this team this season have all done their part to make the team better as the season has gone on and even without Kobe at this point, they all get it.

We will never know how the playoffs would have gone with Kobe playing but as far as a ring. Kobe deserves it if they win it all. He was the player that stepped it up and was also willing to change his game to get the team to where they are now.

Looking forward to a good series against S.A.......See ya in here during the games

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Haters" want to paint it that the early struggles were Kobe's fault and say that him begrudgingly giving up the "hero ball" and then getting hurt himself is why the Lakers are playing better, but they don't want to take into account that it has only been the last few games when his teammates (particularly D-12 and Pau) have started to get healthy.

I can accept that premise as well. It is not quite as black and white as Kobe-haters and Kobe-fans try to paint it.

I just think it likely that HOWARD and KOBE could never peacefully co-exist healthy or not.

Kobe is a warrior. He deserved his role as the alpha dog. The debate is whether he should have been the alpha dog.

But a 27 year old Howard led team > 34 year old Kobe led team

I suspect Howard leaves for free agency unless they somehow amnesty Kobe which is a horrible PR move....but maybe a good basketball move...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can accept that premise as well. It is not quite as black and white as Kobe-haters and Kobe-fans try to paint it.

I just think it likely that HOWARD and KOBE could never peacefully co-exist healthy or not.

Kobe is a warrior. He deserved his role as the alpha dog. The debate is whether he should have been the alpha dog.

But a 27 year old Howard led team > 34 year old Kobe led team

I suspect Howard leaves for free agency unless they somehow amnesty Kobe which is a horrible PR move....but maybe a good basketball move...

Reports out here are that Howard is a virtual lock to re-sign!! He's simply not going to walk away from what the Lakers can offer him compared to what the rest of the league can offer.

While I agree that Kobe and Dwight were never going to completely peacefully co-exist, the way they were playing together over the last several games indicates that they figured out how to play together in a way that both could live with. Plus Dwight knows that Kobe is likely to retire after next year anyway. The team will then be re-built around him and his particular talents.

I think that if Kobe were to re-sign beyond next season, he would have to accept considerably less money than he is making this year and a reduced role on the team and it would be for more than 1 or 2 years.

If he did accept those things, I'd be shocked as he has said that he doesn't want to be that guy hanging on at the end of his career averaging 15-16 points per game!!

And according to Dwight (and contrary to popular belief) he and Kobe are friends and have been for years. Dwight actually went to visit Kobe in the hospital twice on the day of his surgery.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every player on the roster gets a ring, playing or not.

Rolln300

"Let It Be"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be really stupid not to give a player a ring because of injury. If your going to do it that way you would have to only give rings to those who played a certain number of games during the season. Either way it would make no sense.

thehoorse

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

It would be interesting to see what the Lakers do with Kobe if they won it without him. However, they are not going to win it all so we'll never know.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He absolutely gets a ring. Whether he was involved in the playoff run or not, or they are better with or without him, he is an unquestionable leader of that team and is worthy of the ring.