• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Post here if you might not have a team later this week

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the latest is that Jerry Jones is proposing a Rams/Chargers partnership in Inglewood. Dean Spanos came out against it, saying he won't break his partnership with the Raiders. Rumor is the NFL would throw more money at the Raiders to help build their stadium should the Rams/Chargers go to LA. So two questions:

1) Why the fuck is Jerry Jones making proposals?
2) Why would the NFL give more money to keep the Raiders in Oakland when the city of Oakland never even came up with a legit proposal?

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones is a stupid old man. Of course I expected the Chargers gone anyway, but this won't help.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Why the fuck is Jerry Jones making proposals?

Jerry's trying to muddy the water IMO.

Jones wants Kroenke in LA because Jerry, not surprisingly, thinks that mega-rich owners should run the league, have final say on everything and be able to do whatever they want.

He knows the Ram's can't get to LA if it is a straight Ram's vs Charger's vote. By putting the Charger's & Ram's on the same option, he is trying to make Spanos look bad because he knows as well as anyone that Spanos is going to reject the deal. And in doing so maybe Jerry is able to sway a couple of owners away from the Chargers and onto the Ram's side of things because it makes it look like Spanos isn't playing nice.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking past my denial and seeing what this would mean:

1) AFC West and NFC West team in one stadium = no realignment needed.
2) Raiders stay in Oakland = only 2 teams in Southern California. Delusional Spanos still thinks Charger fans will drive to Inglewood.
3) Raiders stay in Oakland = no team in San Antonio (perhaps Jones' real motivation).

The only question is will Spanos stab Davis in the back, after repeating several times that he's committed to that partnership.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows the Ram's can't get to LA if it is a straight Ram's vs Charger's vote. By putting the Charger's & Ram's on the same option, he is trying to make Spanos look bad because he knows as well as anyone that Spanos is going to reject the deal. And in doing so maybe Jerry is able to sway a couple of owners away from the Chargers and onto the Ram's side of things because it makes it look like Spanos isn't playing nice.
Lots of good theories. If Spanos rejected that option then they're probably deadlocked and delaying it a year. I don't think it's possible either side walks away with approval on either of the two original plans. As a San Diego fan I'd love a delay, but am starting to think that is looking less and less likely. Spanos will cave and take a deal he never wanted.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever gets the Rams to the pacific time zone is fine in my book!

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't change teams, but I don't know what it's like to grow up with a team in my city.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the owners have a vested interest in getting teams back in LA to spike the ratings, since they share money from television contracts.

The LA Times report basically says that the Inglewood thing is going down, and Spanos doesn't mind, he just needs to save face by not appearing to stab Mark Davis in the back after trying to partner with him to do a stadium in Carson.

LA Rams

LA Chargers

NFC, AFC. It's on.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the owners have a vested interest in getting teams back in LA to spike the ratings, since they share money from television contracts.

The LA Times report basically says that the Inglewood thing is going down, and Spanos doesn't mind, he just needs to save face by not appearing to stab Mark Davis in the back after trying to partner with him to do a stadium in Carson.

LA Rams

LA Chargers

NFC, AFC. It's on.
Agreed, but that's where it gets tricky. The NFL is about money. They're not about to hand over hundreds of millions of dollars to Davis and the city of Oakland, who never even submitted a legit stadium proposal. If they can figure that one out I guess it could work.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but that's where it gets tricky. The NFL is about money. They're not about to hand over hundreds of millions of dollars to Davis and the city of Oakland, who never even submitted a legit stadium proposal. If they can figure that one out I guess it could work.

Yeah that does seem to be one of the major problems is that still leaves Oakland needing a new stadium that the city wants nothing to do with. At least St. Louis and San Diego made actual efforts to save their team. Oakland not so much. Then throw in they have the 31st ranked owner in actual monetary value so you know he can't afford to actually chip in to get a new stadium. Oakland is the one team that absolutely needs to move to LA and pair with another team but it seems like nobody actually really does want to work with Mark Davis. His father really hurt his chances as he burned a lot of bridges over the years with the other owners.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does kind of make sense actually when you think about it.

Leave Oakland out to dry and have a desperate STL city bidding again for the team. The Davis' flat out don't have the ching to own an NFL franchise anymore. The only way they were every going to get a new stadium was to piggy back and move into a new stadium with another NFL owner or get a city that is so desperate for a team that they are willing to essentially front all of the up front cash it takes to build a new stadium.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports radio around here is pushing the Raiders to SD theory, thought I don't think that could ever work. Nevermind the initial shock of SD fans having to root for the Raiders. We could get past that because its SD first. With two teams going to LA I don't think the NFL would want a 3rd team within 120 miles, although it did work well for quite a long time.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that does seem to be one of the major problems is that still leaves Oakland needing a new stadium that the city wants nothing to do with. At least St. Louis and San Diego made actual efforts to save their team. Oakland not so much. Then throw in they have the 31st ranked owner in actual monetary value so you know he can't afford to actually chip in to get a new stadium. Oakland is the one team that absolutely needs to move to LA and pair with another team but it seems like nobody actually really does want to work with Mark Davis. His father really hurt his chances as he burned a lot of bridges over the years with the other owners.
Just curious, who is #32?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious, who is #32?

There is no 32. With Green Bay being owned by the fans per say there are only 31 actual owners in the NFL.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no 32. With Green Bay being owned by the fans per say there are only 31 actual owners in the NFL.
That's right. Yeah, Davis seems rather fucked if its Rams/Chargers. But what if he has the cash but Oakland still doesn't want to build? St Louis? If the Raiders move there then you would have only 1 of 4 AFC West teams in the pacific time zone. I've gotta think there are a lot of owners that think teams playing musical chairs with cities is a bad idea.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's right. Yeah, Davis seems rather fucked if its Rams/Chargers. But what if he has the cash but Oakland still doesn't want to build? St Louis? If the Raiders move there then you would have only 1 of 4 AFC West teams in the pacific time zone. I've gotta think there are a lot of owners that think teams playing musical chairs with cities is a bad idea.

Yeah I agree. I just don't see how they get the money to build Oakland a stadium though. The NFL has a $200 million cap on how much they will help in any kind of stadium. I mean they could get a sponsor but not like Oakland or any of the businesses have shown any interest in partnering with the team. The only way I see it happening is if Mark Davis is willing to sell say 50% of the team to a co-owner that has a lot more money than him. At the same time that is going to be tough as Oakland has actually been one of the worst money making teams in the entire league. Yes they are getting better so that should help but right now they are one of the bottom 3 in actual revenue. Not a great selling point to anybody to try and get them to partner. So again it comes down to if the Raiders miss out on a joint stadium proposal they really could be screwed. This is where Mark Davis and the Raiders dragging their feet on trying to get much done could really put them in a terrible spot over the next few years.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the San Diego mayor has expressed interest in talking to Davis if the Chargers leave, but success in San Diego may be best if they re-brand, meaning no more Raiders. Doubt that happens. One writer in Orange County floated the theory that SD, the 8th largest city in the country, could become the new LA and be used for leverage to get more stadiums built. That would suck for us SD fans, but we're still a relatively small media market, so that wouldn't carry as much weight.

You would think it would be easy for Davis to sale, but with all the concussion concerns I bet there are a lot of interested buyers that are concerned the NFL has reached its peak. Tough situation for Davis.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the San Diego mayor has expressed interest in talking to Davis if the Chargers leave, but success in San Diego may be best if they re-brand, meaning no more Raiders. Doubt that happens. One writer in Orange County floated the theory that SD, the 8th largest city in the country, could become the new LA and be used for leverage to get more stadiums built. That would suck for us SD fans, but we're still a relatively small media market, so that wouldn't carry as much weight.

You would think it would be easy for Davis to sale, but with all the concussion concerns I bet there are a lot of interested buyers that are concerned the NFL has reached its peak. Tough situation for Davis.

Yeah hard to see the league getting much more popular from here increasing the value of every team in the league. As of right now the Raiders are the 31st ranked team in value only ahead of the Bills. Oakland just is not that great of a market to really increase revenue. Now you go back to the 80's and yeah they are one of the most valuable teams in the league but times have changed. They would have to start winning Super Bowls for that value to go way up and right now while they have a very good young team I do question how much ownership will actually do to add the talent needed. Yes they have a ton of cap space but their ownership has already shown they are one of the cheapest in the league. They will only spend as much as they absolutely have to. To me they have a 2-year window here with Carr and Mack on cheap contracts. Once they take up a good chunk of the cap space and the ownership won't spend a ton they will be that 7-9 to 9-7 team most years.

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait, the Raiders owner is Jed York? :scratch:

But in seriousness, the Raiders to LA always made the most sense to me. First of all, the Bay already has a team, whereas San Diego and St Louis would be losing their only franchise. Secondly, the Raiders have a regional fan base, with much of it still in LA. The Raiders fan base leaks out among the greater West Coast area more so than other teams, which have more centralized fan bases. Lastly, the Raiders have by far and away the worst stadium in the NFL, and no potential to rectify a new one.

Also, why rob two markets of their team when you can rob only one? I get LA is a huge market, but god forbid they will be okay with only one team.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait, the Raiders owner is Jed York? :scratch:

But in seriousness, the Raiders to LA always made the most sense to me. First of all, the Bay already has a team, whereas San Diego and St Louis would be losing their only franchise. Secondly, the Raiders have a regional fan base, with much of it still in LA. The Raiders fan base leaks out among the greater West Coast area more so than other teams, which have more centralized fan bases. Lastly, the Raiders have by far and away the worst stadium in the NFL, and no potential to rectify a new one.

Also, why rob two markets of their team when you can rob only one? I get LA is a huge market, but god forbid they will be okay with only one team.
It doesn't seem the NFL cares at all about who has the most fans in LA. It seems it's all about money and which owner they want to take care of the most. They also seem to keep insisting that San Diego is an extension of the LA market. There they are dead wrong.