• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll: Who Was the Greater Player of His Generation, Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

Who was the greater player of his generation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both players were obviously amazing but I gotta lean Timmy. Kobe played in LA so he had far more national exposure, hell if you aren't a Spurs fan you might have only heard Timmy talk a couple times in your life. Kobe was a more exciting player but it's difficult to compare a SG to a PF. As a Timberwolves fan I would have gladly taken either one of them, if we would have had Kobe and KG that would have been fun to watch. I just think Timmy was a much better leader and he did it quietly.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not disingenuous at all. The poll and the original post didn't ask "who was the greatEST player of his generation, Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan." It asked "who was the greatER player of his generation, Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan." I deliberately worded it that way so we could specifically compare just the two of Kobe and Duncan, without considering other players like Shaq or LeBron.

Bus with the word play!!!!

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe. Duncan had the benefit of a more consistent team around him (no coaching changes, no major free agency losses, consistent culture). Kobe dealt with two separate rebuilds and more serious injuries.

Great points.

DJ Fieri

Hoopla Cash
$ 15,318.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to be honest.....I don't know.

But, I voted Kobe......just because.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only person I've ever enjoyed that was an ESPN radio regular is SVP.

Could do without most erybody else. And most will get no second chance.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe. Duncan had the benefit of a more consistent team around him (no coaching changes, no major free agency losses, consistent culture). Kobe dealt with two separate rebuilds and more serious injuries.

Didn't think about all of that. Thinking about changing my vote now.:scratch:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the consistent culture was built because Duncan helped build it??

It wasn't like the SPURS had some great perfect organization and lazy ass Duncan just cruised.

Duncan took paycuts instead of demanding the highest salaries to cripple the roster cap.
He allowed himself to be chastised by even lowly assistant coaches...setting an example for other players to listen.
He never demanded any trades to Chicago or anywhere.
He never called any of his lesser teammates horrible players even if they were Smush parker level dudes.
He never had public feuds with teammates.
He voluntarily reduced his role at times to extend the team winning even when he could have demanded more.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played two different positions and had very different roles on their team.

Duncan would never work the floor and direct the offense the way Kobe did and likewise Kobe would never be the rim defender and rebounder Duncan was.

Two very different players so no way to say who was better since they were both the best at their respective roles.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wasn't like the SPURS had some great perfect organization and lazy ass Duncan just cruised.

Duncan took paycuts instead of demanding the highest salaries to cripple the roster cap.
He allowed himself to be chastised by even lowly assistant coaches...setting an example for other players to listen.
He never called any of his lesser teammates horrible players even if they were Smush parker level dudes.
He voluntarily reduced his role at times to extend the team winning even when he could have demanded more.

So you're basing your vote on his character rather than on-court performances?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this is true, but Kobe's personality was a significant part of his circumatance. He was a large factor in the divorce with Shaq and no free agent wanted to sign in LA to play with an aging Kobe.

Duncan, on the other hand, is the main reason the Spurs locker room culture is so good. They were able to attract players like Alrdidge and West in free agency last year with Duncan approaching 40. People want to play with Tim Duncan. He is the ideal teammate, unlike Kobe.

The way each player retired speaks volumes. Kobe did the whole tour and the "Mamba Out" after his 60 point performance, which was amazing, but also indicative of his lust for the spotlight. Duncan, meanwhile, quietly announces his retirement in July. His humility makes it much easier for other good players to work with him.

That is why Duncan is the best. Basketball is a team sport, and Duncan is the consummate teammate.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is spot on.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Kobe a consistent roster and the same head coach for his entire career and he probably surpasses MJ in championships and gets at least another MVP trophy.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give Kobe a consistent roster and the same head coach for his entire career and he probably surpasses MJ in championships and gets at least another MVP trophy.

but this fails to factor in Kobe's role in the roster not being good. He was a malcontent when things were not going his way.

Duncan had more impact on his team's success because of his positive attitude.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure he was part of it, of course.

Kobe never crippled the roster cap. Lakers were always willing to spend over and beyond. His last contract, which he gets the most crap for, was offered to him, not requested by him.

Obviously, Tim and Kobe are very different personalities. Kobe is the true alpha at all costs. Tim is the under the radar type.

You also are buying into a lot of media hype that isn't necessarily justified, but it doesn't matter. They are clearly the best two players of their generation, and obviously Spurs and Lakers fans aren't going to agree on their preferences.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but this fails to factor in Kobe's role in the roster not being good. He was a malcontent when things were not going his way.

Duncan had more impact on his team's success because of his positive attitude.

When were things not going Duncan's way?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When were things not going Duncan's way?

My whole point is that things have always gone Duncan's way because he is such a great teammate and a positive leader. He truly elevated the players and coaches around him, empowering them to be their best.

Kobe tore teammates apart and was never willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the team. He was as competitive as anybody, but on his own terms.