• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the radio today in Salt Lake, so there may be a lot of bias, but the two hosts were saying that Tim Duncan was hands-down a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant but due to being in Los Angeles, people elevate him.

I am a Jazz fan so I am biased towards Karl Malone in regards to power forwards. I biasedly put Tim Duncan as a center for that purpose regardless of how he played or what position the coach had him. But I realize that can make me biased against Tim Duncan. (I am not comparing Karl Malone and Tim Duncan here, I’m just pointing out why I may be viewing Kobe Bryant as better.)

Is there a debate on who is better between Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant? I put Kobe Bryant ahead because Tim Duncan doesn’t have the best averages for stats and both players have championships, but again, I am biased. So I wanted to see what you guys think.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to the radio today in Salt Lake, so there may be a lot of bias, but the two hosts were saying that Tim Duncan was hands-down a better basketball player than Kobe Bryant but due to being in Los Angeles, people elevate him.

I am a Jazz fan so I am biased towards Karl Malone in regards to power forwards. I biasedly put Tim Duncan as a center for that purpose regardless of how he played or what position the coach had him. But I realize that can make me biased against Tim Duncan. (I am not comparing Karl Malone and Tim Duncan here, I’m just pointing out why I may be viewing Kobe Bryant as better.)

Is there a debate on who is better between Tim Duncan and Kobe Bryant? I put Kobe Bryant ahead because Tim Duncan doesn’t have the best averages for stats and both players have championships, but again, I am biased. So I wanted to see what you guys think.

One of the tougher debates. They played different positions and both are, at worst, #2 all time at their positions. I think people tend to forget about how great Timmy was because he was a quiet player who played for a quiet organization.

I'd probably give the slight edge to Kobe...but I could be talked into Timmy being better.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a basketball person... but what i have learned is that defensive players always get over-rated... Duncan is one of the best defensive PF/C in basketball history...

Kobe, was basically entirely a scorer... Dominant scorers like Kobe can put games on their shoulders better... but if you want continual success the overall dominance of Duncan would be much better...

So, if i wanted a player just for a single game, i would pick Kobe,
if i wanted a player for a whole series, i would pick Duncan...

and is duncan not one of the better big boy names in basketball... probably should be spelled dunk-in

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the time and era, Duncan had a greater effect on his teams winning games. I gotta give the edge to Duncan but we are comparing two all time greats at completely different positions and skill sets so there is no wrong answer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not a basketball person... but what i have learned is that defensive players always get over-rated... Duncan is one of the best defensive PF/C in basketball history...

Kobe, was basically entirely a scorer... Dominant scorers like Kobe can put games on their shoulders better... but if you want continual success the overall dominance of Duncan would be much better...

So, if i wanted a player just for a single game, i would pick Kobe,
if i wanted a player for a whole series, i would pick Duncan...

and is duncan not one of the better big boy names in basketball... probably should be spelled dunk-in

Kobe was actually also an elite level defender, people forget about that.

Basically, it's a debate between 2 players who are arguably the 2nd best at their position in the history of the game and trying to decide which is better.

Both were great scorers, both were clutch players, both were elite level defenders, both were great passers. Kobe was probably a little more versatile (largely because of being able to create his own shot) and Timmy was more consistent. Both got 5 rings.

Can't really go wrong with either. If either one is on your team...you're probably pretty happy. lol

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In the era that they both played, I take Duncan. Not because he was a better player, but because he was the most selfless superstar I have ever seen.

Really easy to build around a guy like that and the main reason, IMO, the Spurs were able to maintain a championship culture for as long as they did.

In today’s game I think you have to take Kobe because he is a wing and he can impact the game in more ways.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are different players at different positions, hard to compare. Even if you say Duncan was the best PF ever, Kobe was the 2nd best SG...both are top 10 players but they both were all-around great players. If I ranked them I would put Duncan slightly above Kobe but it doesn't necessarily mean he is a better. Like I said, different types of players and really different roles.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a really tough call but I think I lean Duncan. I'm going with the perspective I'm the GM and can fit other parts around a player. I think there are just more ways to win with Duncan in the long run than Kobe.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,143.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me aren’t they two different types of players? Duncan was more of a defensive kind of player. And Kobe was an all out offensive and gave everything he had every night. Not saying Duncan wasn’t an offensive player but Kobe was more shoot threes and go for high flying dunks. While Duncan was more of a dish and layup kind of player if u ask me. So it’s hard to compare them

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe was actually also an elite level defender, people forget about that.

Basically, it's a debate between 2 players who are arguably the 2nd best at their position in the history of the game and trying to decide which is better.

Both were great scorers, both were clutch players, both were elite level defenders, both were great passers. Kobe was probably a little more versatile (largely because of being able to create his own shot) and Timmy was more consistent. Both got 5 rings.

Can't really go wrong with either. If either one is on your team...you're probably pretty happy. lol
Duncan has never even committed a foul, which should help his case......well, at least if you ask him.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The way I see it, Duncan made a better all around better player that also made others better. Kobe was a pure shooter, but dribbled to long and wasn't the greatest at passing and took too many shots. Which player you choose depends on who you can put with them. My brain thinks Kobe,. Duncan and Nash all in their primes would have been awesome

PPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As great as Duncan was, Kobe was the better player out of the two.

As for Duncan vs Malone, I give Duncan the edge because of the rings. Otherwise it’s be a toss up for me. Karl was much better offensively assist included and Duncan was the better defensive player including rebounding.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As great as Duncan was, Kobe was the better player out of the two.

As for Duncan vs Malone, I give Duncan the edge because of the rings. Otherwise it’s be a toss up for me. Karl was much better offensively assist included and Duncan was the better defensive player including rebounding.

If Malone beat the MJ’s Bulls twice and Duncan won the ones he did, would that tilt it to Malone for you? Or would the number of Duncan’s wins win out?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're both Top 10 worthy and could be flipped ever how you slot them. But I'd take Kobe simply for this reason; their peers would take Kobe. When you listen to the guys that played against them, they gravitate more towards Kobe as being "the guy", the alpha. When they're all on all star teams during all star weekend, everyone is looking at Kobe. Team USA, everyone was looking to Kobe. Those guys on the court knew who the better player was.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're both Top 10 worthy and could be flipped ever how you slot them. But I'd take Kobe simply for this reason; their peers would take Kobe. When you listen to the guys that played against them, they gravitate more towards Kobe as being "the guy", the alpha. When they're all on all star teams during all star weekend, everyone is looking at Kobe. Team USA, everyone was looking to Kobe. Those guys on the court knew who the better player was.

Being an “alpha” is extremely overrated in a team sport.

Yeah, you need a leader. But Duncan was a great leader in his own way.

And a super dominant alpha personality like Kobe does not always lead in a positive way.

Duncan won more rings as the best player on his team and his team was more consistently good. That is directly attributable to his leadership.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Malone beat the MJ’s Bulls twice and Duncan won the ones he did, would that tilt it to Malone for you? Or would the number of Duncan’s wins win out?
Championships don't matter in this particular case imo, I have Duncan as the clear 1. To me the 2-5 of Malone, Barkley, Dirk, and KG are all closer calls than Duncan and anybody else.