• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please, no more CK7 vs. Smith debates

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is being cute but he'll go back to Alex Smith this week; I'm sure of it. As he said in his presser "Alex Smith is our starting QB and has done nothing to lose his job". At least for this game Harbaugh will do the conservative thing and go back to Smith. Its smart, its pretty safe and you know how much he loves to go against what people say he should do.

Although either QB would likely beat the Rams, Harbaugh also loves to win and as a former QB, he'd understand the need to move forward with one QB and not keep switching. So, I think barring injury, whoever he announces will be for the remainder of the season. I still think he chooses Kaep - not because of the Rams, but rather the Patriots, maybe Seattle, Giants, and Packers (though we did beat them in Lambeau with Smith).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Although either QB would likely beat the Rams, Harbaugh also loves to win and as a former QB, he'd understand the need to move forward with one QB and not keep switching. So, I think barring injury, whoever he announces will be for the remainder of the season. I still think he chooses Kaep - not because of the Rams, but rather the Patriots, maybe Seattle, Giants, and Packers (though we did beat them in Lambeau with Smith).

agree, don't think it makes sense to switch back and forth? at this point how can you not go forward with just Kaep?

"forward" goes beyond this season.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep should be the starter the remainder of the season barring injury. Very impressed with his pocket presence and accuracy so far- two things I was concerned with as far as Kaep adjusting to the NFL. A couple of those lasers Sunday night were things of beauty. The 3rd and 2 connection to Walker was ballsy and a perfect laser...a big time NFL throw in a tough environment.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep's a playmaker; Alex is not. They brought up a stat during the last game saying that Alex had 22 plays of 20 yards or more over 9 starts, while Kaep's got 10 such plays in 2 starts. Harbaugh would be crazy to go back to Alex right now.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with you but I think Smith will get first crack at it. I meant to say that I think he'll go to Kaepernick only if Smith plays poorly.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't it seem that Kaepernick has a long throwing motion though? That needs to be worked on.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way he worded his statement to the press I would be shocked if he doesn't name Alex the starter for "this" Sunday. You don't call a guy your starter and say he has done nothing to lose the job, and then replace him a few days later. That's a quick way for a coach to lose respect with players.

I think he sticks to his statement though. "Nothing to lose the job" this implies he has done nothing yet to lose the job. This means they will go back to Alex at least until he performs poorly enough to warrant the switch to Kaep. At that point it would be a permanent change.

I think Harbaugh wants to see how Alex responds to what Kaep has done the last 2 weeks before making a permanent change.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way he worded his statement to the press I would be shocked if he doesn't name Alex the starter for "this" Sunday. You don't call a guy your starter and say he has done nothing to lose the job, and then replace him a few days later. That's a quick way for a coach to lose respect with players.

I think he sticks to his statement though. "Nothing to lose the job" this implies he has done nothing yet to lose the job. This means they will go back to Alex at least until he performs poorly enough to warrant the switch to Kaep. At that point it would be a permanent change.

I think Harbaugh wants to see how Alex responds to what Kaep has done the last 2 weeks before making a permanent change.

I hope you are wrong sir

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly. That is how it will go.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

but it is more than just Alex and Kaep, all the other players on offense are affected too. Harbaugh can't go back and forth, experiment, test drive, or whatever description you want.

at this point, how can he not stick with Kaep, so the part in bolden is switched. Kaep is no guarantee to continue his good play, nor stay healthy. so we might see Alex start again, who knows? guess this is saying the same thing as going with the hot hand.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard that statement and interpreted it as more of a way to help Alex save some respect after Kaep comes in to win the job. Harbaugh pointed out it's not a quarterback controversy because they have two quarterbacks who have played well, versus the typical QB debates on who sucks less. Alex has done nothing to lose the job, but Kaep played so well it prompted them to make the change. So it's not so much as looking at it as Alex is worse than Kaep, it's Kaep is better than Alex (who already is a good QB in Harbaugh speak).

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but it is more than just Alex and Kaep, all the other players on offense are affected too. Harbaugh can't go back and forth, experiment, test drive, or whatever description you want.

at this point, how can he not stick with Kaep, so the part in bolden is switched. Kaep is no guarantee to continue his good play, nor stay healthy. so we might see Alex start again, who knows? guess this is saying the same thing as going with the hot hand.

He won't flip flop.
I think he goes back to Alex this week. If Alex plays well and has a good day then it won't even be a question for the following week. If Alex struggles and plays poorly though it gives Harbaugh all he needs to make Kaep the starter for the rest of the year.

In other words I expect Alex to get the start on a bring your A game every day basis because you've now seen what's on the bench.

I'm not sure Harbaugh as a former players wants to bench Alex strictly due to the injury. If he can make it a performance based decision though he will, and the best way to do that is to play Alex.

So I expect Alex back in the lineup this week, but how long he stays the starter will be up to his play. If he does well the next few weeks then Kaep will not be starting again this year. If he plays poorly then Kaep's time starts now. Either way this is probably the last year Alex is our starter.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He won't flip flop.
I think he goes back to Alex this week. If Alex plays well and has a good day then it won't even be a question for the following week. If Alex struggles and plays poorly though it gives Harbaugh all he needs to make Kaep the starter for the rest of the year.

In other words I expect Alex to get the start on a bring your A game every day basis because you've now seen what's on the bench.

I'm not sure Harbaugh as a former players wants to bench Alex strictly due to the injury. If he can make it a performance based decision though he will, and the best way to do that is to play Alex.

So I expect Alex back in the lineup this week, but how long he stays the starter will be up to his play. If he does well the next few weeks then Kaep will not be starting again this year. If he plays poorly then Kaep's time starts now. Either way this is probably the last year Alex is our starter.

ok, your opinion is fine.

if you start Alex and he does well great cause we win, but will we see the offense take a step up? we all know it needs to in order to compete in the play-offs. or will everyone will feel ho hum, back to status quo on offense? if Alex doesn't do well, we lose and the team questions the decision?

if you start Kaep and he does well, then the offense took another step up. at very least the unit got one more game to gel with Kaep. if he doesn't do well, nobody (or apparently very few) will fault Harbaugh for sticking with the hot hand. for trying to expand the offense.

as far as 'bring your 'A' game or else, Alex has been under this mantra for years now.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't it seem that Kaepernick has a long throwing motion though? That needs to be worked on.

I don't think so, some writer commented that he gets the ball out quickly. Maybe because he is just long, long arms, long looking body, that you assume he has a long motion.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based on harbaugh's comments about smith being our starter i get the feeling he will go back to alex too.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so, some writer commented that he gets the ball out quickly. Maybe because he is just long, long arms, long looking body, that you assume he has a long motion.

I think you are right because I've heard no one else mention it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based on harbaugh's comments about smith being our starter i get the feeling he will go back to alex too.

"In other words I expect Alex to get the start on a bring your A game every day basis because you've now seen what's on the bench."

I took the above quote from Kinzu's post because this is exactly what Harbaugh will do in my opinion.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

won't be devasted by any means if Alex starts, just that to me it doesn't make sense? i'm sure we can beat the Rams with Alex too, but Harbaugh should avoid going back and forth.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think you are right because I've heard no one else mention it.

It may have been a little long when he came out. I remember Harbaugh having to answer questions about it and he said something along the lines of, people throw how they throw and he wouldn't mess with it too much.