• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Please, no more CK7 vs. Smith debates

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vernon Davis: Alex Smith still San Francisco 49ers' guy - NFL.com

Hmmmm, they kinda have a point about VD. After he was targeted a lot he felt great about CK and then with only one target which he dropped, he kinda swings back to Smith.

Although, I think this article is misquoting him, or rather misinterpreting him, he says in my heart I know Alex is the man and they are taking it as him saying Alex is the starter, but I think VD was just saying that he loves Smith and Alex is "the" man.

Yeah but when prodded further he said I'm sure Alex is still our guy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

and thats good he still backs up his teammate, they're still all 49ers and need each other to succeed. no one knows if Kaep stays healthy rest of the season? as Davis ponders it more, doubt he'll continue pushing Alex as the starter, IF thats what he meant?

at this point, Harbaugh can't switch back to Alex.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis is probably just saying this shit to stay on good terms with Alex.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Davis is probably just saying this shit to stay on good terms with Alex.

Davis is one of the worst quotes in the game for my money because he can be led by a writer down almost any path that isn't negative as easy as anyone I've ever listened to.

You can lead him down one path one minute, then change tune and lead him back the other way as long as it isn't really negative because he's very conscious about saying the right things now since his transformation.

My interpretation of him saying Alex is still our guy is his way of saying that he likes Alex, he still believes in him (even if he always had some doubts) if the coaches decide to go with him, and will basically continue to say anything that doesn't rock the boat because he's very conscious about not doing that anymore.

What's weird to me is that like I said he already went down the other road and said he'd leave it up to the coaches and doesn't really know which way they will ultimately go. But because he said Alex is our guy, which was his way of supporting Alex in my opinion, it'll be the thing people use in their columns because it fuels a story for the week.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is nitpicky for the media, but I don't like the highlights that most of these shows are showing. Kaep's run for a TD and his pass for a TD and the first Manningham 40 yarder (35 YAC). Everyone knows he can run so the rushing TD isn't as impressive. His TD pass was easy enough it doesn't show anything. And the Manningham was an easy 5 yard pass taken for 40. Why aren't they showing the 44 yarder on 3rd and 2 more? Or heck, show the Crabtree one that was taken back for the holding. He had plenty of plays that were more impressive and more of a highlight than the three they're showing.

I understand showing TDs, it just didn't show the good plays. Make the highlights longer, then.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just want to say that Kaep didn't just have a GOOD game against the Saints, he had a GREAT game. He came through on almost every big throw.

I was especially impressed with the would-be 1st down on 3rd and long (3rd & like 17?) when he rolled left and hit Crabtree going right; he hit Crabby in the hands.

The one pick was one when he had under a minute, and he had to pick hte ball off the ground. He didn't even have a chance to survey the field before he had to throw it. That was Goodwin's fault.

I don't remember the last time the Niners have coe through so efficiently on 3rd down.
...oh wait, yes I do. It was last week agaisnt the Bears. :)

Kaep got the ultimate screw job from the ref's, and the drops killed some great drives. If those things didn't happen, I wonder what his stat line would have looked like (which is all radio commentators saw when commenting on Alex VS Kaep).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched First Take and agree with their analysis of who should start, however - I get pissed off that commentators and analysts, all analyze the situation as if they weren't the people involved when discussing what they did or said. They showed Alex saying that he wants to play and think he should start and juxtaposed that with him saying that he was happy for his teammates and winning - saying that he was fragile because of this. What the hell? He may not be as great as Kaep could be, but fragile for him to say he wants to start, and not just accept being benched?

That to me shows pride, toughness, and no matter how delusional some people may think, confident in himself. He could have just said "whatever's best for the team" which would show me someone who wasn't willing to fight for it. There's no end to some ridiculousness - you should want to start and you should get no criticism for wanting to.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep got the ultimate screw job from the ref's, and the drops killed some great drives. If those things didn't happen, I wonder what his stat line would have looked like (which is all radio commentators saw when commenting on Alex VS Kaep).

Can't you pretty much say that about any QB after a game? What would the stat line have looked like without the penalties and drops? Those are just a part of the game, and if they didn't happen every QB would have much improved numbers.

Not arguing with you about his game being better without the drops and flags, but it's kind of a silly argument to make when those things effect everyone's numbers every week.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Can't you pretty much say that about any QB after a game? What would the stat line have looked like without the penalties and drops? Those are just a part of the game, and if they didn't happen every QB would have much improved numbers.

Not arguing with you about his game being better without the drops and flags, but it's kind of a silly argument to make when those things effect everyone's numbers every week.

That's true, but Kaep had an abnormally high amount of yardage & completions taken away by BS penalties & drops. It happend all the time, but usually doens't happen to that degree (especially with the officiating).

Also, the Niners went into run-out-the-clock mode relatively early, which usually doesn't help a QB's stat line.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's gonna be plenty of times when harbaugh being conservative will hurt kaps stats. expect more of it over the season. kap will make some boneheaded plays, but with the improvements he's shown by the playoffs i could see him hitting all cylinders.

that could be scary for any team we play.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's gonna be plenty of times when harbaugh being conservative will hurt kaps stats. expect more of it over the season. kap will make some boneheaded plays, but with the improvements he's shown by the playoffs i could see him hitting all cylinders.

that could be scary for any team we play.

Yeah, because Harbaugh is what limited Alex Smith's stats. :violin:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched First Take and agree with their analysis of who should start, however - I get pissed off that commentators and analysts, all analyze the situation as if they weren't the people involved when discussing what they did or said. They showed Alex saying that he wants to play and think he should start and juxtaposed that with him saying that he was happy for his teammates and winning - saying that he was fragile because of this. What the hell? He may not be as great as Kaep could be, but fragile for him to say he wants to start, and not just accept being benched?

That to me shows pride, toughness, and no matter how delusional some people may think, confident in himself. He could have just said "whatever's best for the team" which would show me someone who wasn't willing to fight for it. There's no end to some ridiculousness - you should want to start and you should get no criticism for wanting to.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I heard Troy Aikman praise Smith's behavior. He said that he would not have been so supportive and team-oriented had it been him in that position. On the other hand when I heard Kaepernick say "I sure hope so" when askd if he hoped to start against New Orleans to be a little disconcerting. It was sort of like saying "I hope that Smith is still inured next week".

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because Harbaugh is what limited Alex Smith's stats. :violin:

there are plenty of times where we lean on the run game and akers leg. they even did it during the saints game on sunday. so don't give me that bullshit.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just want to say that Kaep didn't just have a GOOD game against the Saints, he had a GREAT game. He came through on almost every big throw.

I was especially impressed with the would-be 1st down on 3rd and long (3rd & like 17?) when he rolled left and hit Crabtree going right; he hit Crabby in the hands.

The one pick was one when he had under a minute, and he had to pick hte ball off the ground. He didn't even have a chance to survey the field before he had to throw it. That was Goodwin's fault.

I don't remember the last time the Niners have coe through so efficiently on 3rd down.
...oh wait, yes I do. It was last week agaisnt the Bears. :)

I agree with everything except putting total blame on Goodwin. Goodwin certainly has to take a little bit of responsibility for that turnover, but at the end of the day, Kaep should have thrown that ball away and not force it.

Goodwin needs to take partial responsibility because that was at that time the 3rd time he had snapped the ball too low to the QB. He was struggling witht the snap for several plays and never really made the adjustment (I'm sure it was relayed to him in the huddle by the 2nd bad snap that he needs to snap it a little higher but he failed to make the subtle adjustment).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harbaugh is being cute but he'll go back to Alex Smith this week; I'm sure of it. As he said in his presser "Alex Smith is our starting QB and has done nothing to lose his job". At least for this game Harbaugh will do the conservative thing and go back to Smith. Its smart, its pretty safe and you know how much he loves to go against what people say he should do.