• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillip Lindsay - Pay Him

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brought what up?

just before the FA we were going to give Lindsay a pay raise then about a week into that statement Elway said he was going wait and maybe do it after the draft. The "maybe" caught my eye.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“We’ll see where everything falls after free agency, after the draft [and] how much money we have,” Elway said, via Ryan O’Halloran of the Denver Post. “We would like to be able to do something. Obviously, Phillip’s been great. If we can do something, we’ll try.”

This seems like an honest fair statement by Elway to me. It is a business he has to put the best team he can on the field to win. Please remember Lindsay is not a free agent after this season. I’d expect him to be more open to it after year three. Lindsay should by no means be pissed, he is two years into the NFL. If this is an issue for him then he is pretty selfish. I don’t believe it is an issue for him this season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PL will get an offer this year - after the draft picks are signed and - last minute FAs signing are made. The question is whether there will be enough money it for PL to take the offer.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PL will get an offer this year - after the draft picks are signed and - last minute FAs signing are made. The question is whether there will be enough money it for PL to take the offer.

Let's hope everyone is happy after this is over.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally we would get Simmons and Lindsay signed this off season.

There are some cuts that might make some cap space, especially if we decide to move on from Heuerman.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ideally we would get Simmons and Lindsay signed this off season.

There are some cuts that might make some cap space, especially if we decide to move on from Heuerman.
Is there a question this will happen? It’s not if, but when.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not done until it is done.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the asshole contrarian.

Look, the kid is one run away from a career ending injury, and doesn't have the size required to put up with the pounding a bell cow would. At best, he's a role player, who will likely now get only 10-15 carries per game. This doesn't even begin to address the fact that he's not as good a pass catcher as our recently paid 8 million dollar man - which I think based on his injuries is also an overpaid veteran.

I say we let him play out another year (preferably two) on his existing contract before we throw money at him. If he makes it through that and learns to catch passes, then by all means write the check. But to pay him now when his role in the offense is about to change (and possibly drastically) seems a bit more blind loyalty than good business.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the asshole contrarian.

Look, the kid is one run away from a career ending injury, and doesn't have the size required to put up with the pounding a bell cow would. At best, he's a role player, who will likely now get only 10-15 carries per game. This doesn't even begin to address the fact that he's not as good a pass catcher as our recently paid 8 million dollar man - which I think based on his injuries is also an overpaid veteran.

I say we let him play out another year (preferably two) on his existing contract before we throw money at him. If he makes it through that and learns to catch passes, then by all means write the check. But to pay him now when his role in the offense is about to change (and possibly drastically) seems a bit more blind loyalty than good business.

LOL - perfect! A real captain of industry approach!

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you pay him now your cost will be less then what going rate will be after 2 ERFA/RFA years. I believe his contract is up at years end. I can check later tonight.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindsay is entering the last year of his contract, and will be a RFA after the 2020 season.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lindsay is entering the last year of his contract, and will be a RFA after the 2020 season.

Have him play out his contract, and then sign his RFA tender. That takes us through the end of a few contracts on defensive player, and gives them time to see if he's worth the deal everyone thinks he's worth.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our top 3 RBs would be free agents at the same time.

What round tender would you put on Lindsay?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our top 3 RBs would be free agents at the same time.

What round tender would you put on Lindsay?

I would pay him now and give him a 4 year contract that would pay him 6 million a year for the last two years.
Something like $2miilion a year the first two years and give him a $6 million signing

That sounds high but not really those last two years would be cheap

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think we have to see how he fits in with Gordon this year before we decide if we want to give him a long term contract or not.. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to give him a long term contract right now.
I also don't think Denver gives any care in the world that Royce Freeman would become a free agent the same year a Gordon and Lindsay. If he is still on the roster by then they will let him walk. I see him a bit like Booker. A better RB but no role on special teams so he may be even a little more jeopardy if he has some trade value at some point before this season or after next season... It really felt like Booker was in this same situation Freeman is now after his second year. Good enough to be that 3rd RB, but likely going to walk once his rookie contract was up... Freeman has better trade value if something does come up or we can keep him and he add nice depth, but unlike Booker he doesn't add special teams value.. I think Denver is fine with letting him be their 3rd string RB for now, but if he has some appealing trade offer they'd take it.

I can't imagine all 3 of these RB's become free agents the same year and Denver wants to re-sign all 3. I don't think Denver is thinking exactly like fans think. Freeman is going to want to move on if he is still hanging around after 2 more years as our 3rd RB... I'm pretty sure we will basically always be open to trading Freeman until his contract is up and at that point it would be a mutual thing to move on.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree on Freeman, but it seems to be less then ideal to have all of your active roster RBs scheduled to hit the free agent market at the same time. We will see what happens. In 2 years I don't think we will be spending top dollar on a RB with the other players that will be reaching the end of their contracts.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the conventional wisdom is for the Broncos to take advantage of PLs contract. These things are why a deal makes sense for both sides:

1) Obviously Lindsay was underpaid in comparison to his production.
2) Lindsay is a fan favorite - a good role model - very involved with the community
3) This team has a lot of new guys on it - rewarding a guy like Lindsay sends them a message about how the organization operates. Lindsay is a leader in the locker room and on the field.
4) This is really a simple deal - Lindsay is indentured to the Broncos at minimum pay for another couple of years really. If you can get Lindsay to give the Broncos a deal on years 3 and 4 - the Broncos agree to pay him much better in yrs 1 and 2.

LGM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of his RFA tender at likely a first or second round pick, what would his trade value be? I'm not so sure that we didn't sign another PL clone who can catch better this year with our UDFA picks.

So what would we get from him now, vs. getting a pick if he signs elsewhere when he's a RFA? Does that RFA title transfer to the next team?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree on Freeman, but it seems to be less then ideal to have all of your active roster RBs scheduled to hit the free agent market at the same time. We will see what happens. In 2 years I don't think we will be spending top dollar on a RB with the other players that will be reaching the end of their contracts.
I’m guessing if they plan to let Freeman walk that they will also have drafted his replacement by then.