• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Offseason Mock

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with EB on board, I thought I would take a quick stab at what a successful offseason would look like from my perspective. Will this happen? No.....not by a long shot as this relies too much on free agency. That being said, the OLine is in very poor shape IMO.

Will the drafted players be on the board, probably not.

I took free agent projected contract numbers from sportsnaut.com. I took draft player rankings from walterfootball.com and cbssports.com. These are the players I would target in free agency and in the draft.

This is assuming we free up 60+ million in cap as has been suggested by multiple posters. Under this plan. the OLine is much more talented and younger than last year. The offense will be more productive from a TE and OLine perspective. Howell will have existing weapons but will have a much better OLine and pass-catching TE to help. Howell gets his mentor in Brissett and EB gets two players familiar with his offense. Hartman could also serve as a KR if needs be.

The defense gets much-needed help at LB and CB. Depth is also brough in with mid-round picks to bolster the secondary and LB unit. Losing Payne will hurt badly, but the added talent at CB and LB will help compensate.

Free Agency

Cam Sutton (CB) = 3 years 18 million
Dalton Schultz (TE) = 4 years 48 million
Bobby Okerecke (LB) = 6 years 78 million
Kaleb McGary (RT) = 3 years 25 million
Ben Powers = (Guard) = 4 years 32 million
Jacoby Brissett (QB) = 2 years 14 million
Mecole Hartman (WR)= 1 year 5 million
Jerrick McKinnon (RB)= 1 year 4 million

Draft (first 4 rounds only)

1st round: Broderick Jones (LT) Georgia
2nd round: John Michael Schmitz (C) Minnesota
3rd round: Jarrick Bernard-Converse (CB) LSU
4th round: Eku Leota (LB) Auburn

The remaining picks would continue to be BPA at a position of need.

Projected Offensive Starters

QB: Sam Howell
RB: B. Robinson/A. Gibson
3rd down back: Jerrick McKinnon
WR: TMac
WR: Samuels
WR: Dotson
TE: Dalton Schultz
LT: Broderick Jones
LG: Ben Powers
C: John Michael Schmitz
RG: Sam Cosmi/Chris Paul
RT: Kaleb McGary

Projected Defensive Starters

DE: Young
DT: Allen
DT: Mathis/Ridgeway
DE: Sweat
LB: Davis
LB: Bobby Okerecke
CB: Fuller
CB: Sutton
CB slot: BSJ
SS: Curl
FS: Forrest

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now with EB on board, I thought I would take a quick stab at what a successful offseason would look like from my perspective. Will this happen? No.....not by a long shot as this relies too much on free agency. That being said, the OLine is in very poor shape IMO.

I took free agent projected contract numbers from sportsnaut.com. I took draft player rankings from walterfootball.com and cbssports.com. These are the players I would target in free agency and in the draft.

This is assuming we free up 60+ million in cap as has been suggested by multiple posters. Under this plan. the OLine is much more talented and younger than last year. The offense will be more productive from a TE and OLine perspective. Howell will have existing weapons but will have a much better OLine and pass-catching TE to help. Howell gets his mentor in Brissett and EB gets two players familiar with his offense. Hartman could also serve as a KR if needs be.

The defense gets much-needed help at LB and CB. Depth is also brough in with mid-round picks to bolster the secondary and LB unit. Losing Payne will hurt badly, but the added talent at CB and LB will help compensate.

Free Agency

i dont like weakening the d/line looks to be the debacle we had with BS and the o/line . clowney might not be what we want him to be and sweat for all his gifts hasnt produced like he should . mathis /rideway is good vs the run but niether are as disruptive as payne and the defense will suffer

i do like your draft picks and your fa signings . overall i like what you did though very much

countryroads316

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont like weakening the d/line looks to be the debacle we had with BS and the o/line . clowney might not be what we want him to be and sweat for all his gifts hasnt produced like he should . mathis /rideway is good vs the run but niether are as disruptive as payne and the defense will suffer

i do like your draft picks and your fa signings . overall i like what you did though very much
I still say if they upgrade the Linebackers and add another CB it will massively improve the defense

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought of you buddy.
I went old school Vinny style with my mock offseason Skinsdad...LOL!!!!

Fire up Redskins One!

Remember those days with Goldy????

When are you coming up with your sir?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought of you buddy.
I went old school Vinny style with my mock offseason Skinsdad...LOL!!!!

Fire up Redskins One!

Remember those days with Goldy????

When are you coming up with your sir?
soon i am thinking it out

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Agency

I don't know any of those pics

i love these attempts, Duke thanks for putting this together. I can't speak on your draft prospects because im not familiar with them.
I do like several of your FA, they make sense with EB....As much as i like Schultz, ex cowboys never seem to work out here.
solid post!!

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Free Agency

Not bad and a whole new OL outside Cosmi. No way BSJ is moved inside. I see us drafting a slot corner. Hoping we draft a other edge rusher and possible DL should Payne be traded. My best guess is we tag him.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BSJ has prove to be a true CB and not a slot CB and anyone that thinks differently is lost.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think BSJ is a good corner just not an elite one . i also think we arent getting 3lbs . i think we should at least franchise payne until we know what mathis and ridgeway are

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think BSJ is a good corner just not an elite one . i also think we arent getting 3lbs . i think we should at least franchise payne until we know what mathis and ridgeway are
We know what Mathis (drafted/scouted) and Ridgeway are. Draft another DT in this draft and don't tie up almost $40m in your 2 starting DT's. Payne will not have the same season he just had and those cost could be used elsewhere (OL, TE, LB, CB) to continue building by a tag and trade thus saving cap space and aquiring draft capital. I would go as far to say that between Mathis, Ridgeway, draft pick that the 3 of them get 8-10 sacks total and I could live with that from a pass rush perspective to replace Payne. In my humble opinion, we need more help at the 2nd & 3rd levels of this current defense so use money there.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know what Mathis (drafted/scouted) and Ridgeway are. Draft another DT in this draft and don't tie up almost $40m in your 2 starting DT's. Payne will not have the same season he just had and those cost could be used elsewhere (OL, TE, LB, CB) to continue building by a tag and trade thus saving cap space and aquiring draft capital. I would go as far to say that between Mathis, Ridgeway, draft pick that the 3 of them get 8-10 sacks total and I could live with that from a pass rush perspective to replace Payne. In my humble opinion, we need more help at the 2nd & 3rd levels of this current defense so use money there.
we did this with BS and the o/line collapsed . a couple of injuries and the d/line turn to urine . those DT's made the d/line as clowney rarely saw the field at DE and sweat has been an enigma since he was drafted . mathis played 3 snaps last yr so i doubt we know anything about him at a pro level

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we did this with BS and the o/line collapsed . a couple of injuries and the d/line turn to urine . those DT's made the d/line as clowney rarely saw the field at DE and sweat has been an enigma since he was drafted . mathis played 3 snaps last yr so i doubt we know anything about him at a pro level
Just not good business investing that much money into 2 DT's. You can draft another replacement and bring in a vet like Suh on a 1 yr deal. Bringing in Norwell and Turner for OL is on Rivera as those were his cronies. Hopefully he is now removed from personnel decision making with EB here.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just not good business investing that much money into 2 DT's. You can draft another replacement and bring in a vet like Suh on a 1 yr deal. Bringing in Norwell and Turner for OL is on Rivera as those were his cronies. Hopefully he is now removed from personnel decision making with EB here.
the same argument was made in investing in a OG . we werent paying our tackles so what difference would it have made ? we run the 4-2-5 defense , linebackers arent a priority , d/line is . make no mistake RR is making the calls on personel

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the same argument was made in investing in a OG . we werent paying our tackles so what difference would it have made ? we run the 4-2-5 defense , linebackers arent a priority , d/line is . make no mistake RR is making the calls on personel
You certain RR is now making the calls on all personnel? How would you know that? He hired an Assistant Head Coach/OC to run the entire offense. Why would RR be making those decisions for EB?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You certain RR is now making the calls on all personnel? How would you know that? He hired an Assistant Head Coach/OC to run the entire offense. Why would RR be making those decisions for EB?
Because he is the head coach. I tried explaining this to Dean.

Just because EB "runs" the offense doesn't mean he is a co-Head Coach. EB still reports to Rivera. Rivera has control over the entire team. That is the reason he is the "head" coach and EB is the "assistant" head coach. Rivera controls free agency and the draft and has the final say on ALL football-related matters.

I don't care how it is being reported but we do NOT have two head coaches. We have one head coach who is responsible for the entire team. He has delegated offensive responsibilities to EB BUT Rivera is still responsible for the success of the offense. Again, lets say Snyder/new owner/new GM has a problem with the offensive production. They aren't going to call Rivera and Rivera is going to say "I don't know, ask EB, it's not my job and I am not responsible for anything related to the offense". Neither is Snyder/new owner/new GM going to bypass Rivera and go straight to EB to discuss offensive production.

That is NOT how the NFL works or any sport that I am aware of. You don't have two equal head coaches. EB might run the offense but he still reports to Rivera and Rivera has the authority to fire EB or give guidance where he sees fit. When it comes to the draft, Rivera isn't going to differ to EB on what he wants to do...Rivera will take the suggestion of EB (and others) and make the final decision. The same goes for free agency. Offensive free agents are NOT going to negotiate directly with EB. Their agents will negotiate with Mayhew or probably Rivera. EB will probably talk with and meeting with free agents but Rivera/Mayhew will have the final sign-off. Some of you like Dean are taking this "offensive control" too literally.

If we literally have a head coach defense and head coach offense and they have co-authority, heaven help us. We will literally get nothing done. You always have one person in control.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he is the head coach. I tried explaining this to Dean.

Just because EB "runs" the offense doesn't mean he is a co-Head Coach. EB still reports to Rivera. Rivera has control over the entire team. That is the reason he is the "head" coach and EB is the "assistant" head coach. Rivera controls free agency and the draft and has the final say on ALL football-related matters.

I don't care how it is being reported but we do NOT have two head coaches. We have one head coach who is responsible for the entire team. He has delegated offensive responsibilities to EB BUT Rivera is still responsible for the success of the offense. Again, lets say Snyder/new owner/new GM has a problem with the offensive production. They aren't going to call Rivera and Rivera is going to say "I don't know, ask EB". Neither is Snyder/new owner/new GM going to bypass Rivera and go straight to EB to discuss offensive production.

That is NOT how the NFL works or any sport that I am aware of. You don't have two equal head coaches. EB might run the offense but he still reports to Rivera and Rivera has the authority to fire EB or give guidance where he sees fit. When it comes to the draft, Rivera isn't going to differ to EB on what he wants to do...Rivera will take the suggestion of EB (and others) and make the final decision. The same goes for free agency. Offensive free agents are NOT going to negotiate directly with EB. Their agents will negotiate with Mayhew or probably Rivera. EB will probably talk with and meeting with free agents but Rivera/Mayhew will have the final sign-off. Some of you like Dean are taking this "offensive control" too literally.

If we literally have a head coach defense and head coach offense and they have co-authority, heaven help us. We will literally get nothing done. You always have one person in control.

It's been reported that EB will control offensive personnel. I took that has he gets to pick what players he wants on offense from the draft and FA. He gets to build this offense whatever way he wants. He has a lot more power than any other OC in the NFL.

I know what you are saying but that is what I took from the report.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been reported that EB will control offensive personnel. I took that has he gets to pick what players he wants on offense from the draft and FA. He gets to build this offense whatever way he wants. He has a lot more power than any other OC in the NFL.

I know what you are saying but that is what I took from the report.
Well then it is dumb and doomed to fail. The head coach always has authority over both sides of the ball. That is how accountability works...one person is ultimately responsible for the success of a team on the field. You mean to tell me the other 31 teams will run a traditional style of coaching staff but we are going to pilot a new model? Geez...I can't wait!

So if EB wants to run the triple option, Rivera will give him the thumbs up and let him call 5 flea flickers in a row?

On draft night, when the Commanders are on the clock, EB will submit the pick of Anthony Richardson with the 16th overall pick and then tell Rivera later?

Or with free agency, EB will send an email to Rivera and tell him the team has 5 million left in cap room because he has personally signed 5 offensive free agents because he wanted to?

Giving EB more control than any other OC in the league literally makes no sense at all and is a typical Rivera dumb move if it is true. I find it hard to believe that Rivera will literally sit back and let EB do whatever he wants and has more authority than any other OC in the entire league.

And people wonder why we are a laughing stock, haven't won a Super Bowl since 1991, haven't had a winning season in 6 years, and haven't won a playoff game in 17 years. Instead of doing what has proven to work in the NFL, we are going to come up with a revolutionary idea because we are smarter than everyone right?

And you are personally ok with this Dean?

Last edited: