• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Philadelphia Eagles @ Seattle Seahawks

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sure that lateral would have been reversed, really hard to see if it was forward or not as the camera angle moves with the players.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not sure that lateral would have been reversed, really hard to see if it was forward or not as the camera angle moves with the players.

it looked legal in real time but when you slowed it down it was real close. I don't know if there was enough there to over turn it. I mean he did throw it backwards but he was moving forward which made the ball move either just straight sideways or maybe a little forward. Only way to throw a ball sideways when moving forward at say 15+ MPH is the throw it backwards at the same speed to go along with sideways.

I saw pictures where they show him releasing it and they always show it still in his hand. I slowed it down on my recording and he was like a foot farther down the field when he no longer had ANY contact with the ball and if you go by that then it was sideways completely with no forward motion. would have been hard to over turn that call.

Also had the refs called it an illegal forward pass i don't think there is anything to over turn that call either.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw a science nerd try to explain that lateral. Because the eye test when it happened at full speed says it was a backward pass. But in slow mo you can see the ball looks to be going forward. But the science guy said that is because the players were in motion and the ball moves with them. Like if you drop a football out of the window of a vehicle going down the highway the ball will fall down beside the moving truck at the same speed as the truck. From the person in the truck's viewpoint it drops straight down. But if the truck was passing you as stood on the road and the guy dropped the ball out of the truck it would appear as if the ball was moving forward to you. I don't know if that made sense. Anyway, the point was that the ball DID move backwards from player to player, but because both players were in motion the ball moves at that same rate as them so it also appears to move forward. Confused? Me too.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now imagine the same scenario in space. The lateraled football maintains infinite momentum assuming it doesn't enter into the gravitational sway of a large body/black hole, or impact something.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a science nerd try to explain that lateral. Because the eye test when it happened at full speed says it was a backward pass. But in slow mo you can see the ball looks to be going forward. But the science guy said that is because the players were in motion and the ball moves with them. Like if you drop a football out of the window of a vehicle going down the highway the ball will fall down beside the moving truck at the same speed as the truck. From the person in the truck's viewpoint it drops straight down. But if the truck was passing you as stood on the road and the guy dropped the ball out of the truck it would appear as if the ball was moving forward to you. I don't know if that made sense. Anyway, the point was that the ball DID move backwards from player to player, but because both players were in motion the ball moves at that same rate as them so it also appears to move forward. Confused? Me too.

Looks like Pete Carroll enlisted the smartest man on the planet to explain why the lateral appeared to be moving forward. Neil deGrasse Tyson can explain it better than me.

Not that it matters at this point but it's still interesting none the less:

Neil deGrasse Tyson has takes on Seahawks' lateral

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you know why i laughed at your comment? look at mine right above yours and this part mostly

"I mean he did throw it backwards but he was moving forward which made the ball move either just straight sideways or maybe a little forward. Only way to throw a ball sideways when moving forward at say 15+ MPH is the throw it backwards at the same speed to go along with sideways."