• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PFF on the Niners-Bengals, Smith

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Would have posted this in the other thread, but it's been closed:

Re-Focused - 49ers @ Bengals, Week 3 | ProFootballFocus.com

1) Better Than Anyone Will Credit
It’s become easy to frown upon every bad throw Alex Smith (+5.1) makes. The groans that normally follow it give the impression that Smith has had another bad game. But away from Candlestick Park, and in comparison to a truly feeble QB display, Smith looked pretty decent. He wasn’t helped by some atrocious protection that saw him pressured on 45.7% of his dropbacks, but even then he avoided turning the ball over, and completed a healthy 54.5% of passes when pressured. The only shame for him is a beautiful touchdown throw was called back for Michael Crabtree controversially being ruled to have stepped out of bounds. That score would have made the stat sheet and highlight reel a fairer reflection of Smith’s effort.

I felt his performance against the Cowboys was better, but these guys probably know football better (and spend more time watching tape) than I do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
now if only the offensive line can...........

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The tape don't lie.

Last year Sanchez under pressure completed 35%

Last edited by a moderator:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Waiting for a negative post....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This is from one of Sando's blog posts today:

So far this season, Smith ranks 21st in NFL passer rating (81.2) and 25th in Total QBR (43.7) against four or fewer rushers. His NFL rating is 115.0 with an 80.1 QBR against five or more.

That would tend to support the idea that the bigger problem is the OL making the correct blocks, not managing the blitz. I'm certainly not thrilled with his work against the blitz, but I think the far bigger problem is our OL simply getting outplayed.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith has right read on Philly defense - NFC West Blog - ESPN

OK, then. Next question: How has Smith fared when teams rush four or fewer defenders relative to when they send more? And what about when teams send DB pressure?

So far this season, Smith ranks 21st in NFL passer rating (81.2) and 25th in Total QBR (43.7) against four or fewer rushers. His NFL rating is 115.0 with an 80.1 QBR against five or more.

Smith is a sensational 8 of 8 passing for 106 yards, one touchdown and perfect ratings -- both NFL and QBR -- when teams rush at least one defensive back this season. But the Eagles have pressured with their secondary only six times through their first three games, so Smith might have few opportunities to build on his fast start in those situations.

The Eagles' change in approach would appear to work against Smith overall.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is from one of Sando's blog posts today:

That would tend to support the idea that the bigger problem is the OL making the correct blocks, not managing the blitz. I'm certainly not thrilled with his work against the blitz, but I think the far bigger problem is our OL simply getting outplayed.

100% wrong!

That supports the fact that sacks (especially those taken by QB's who don't correctly read & react to the blitz) are not considered as part of the QB rating. Think Aaron Rodgers in '09. I'll bet his 'five or more' rating was just as high.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
100% wrong!

That supports the fact that sacks (especially those taken by QB's who don't correctly read & react to the blitz) are not considered as part of the QB rating. Think Aaron Rodgers in '09. I'll bet his 'five or more' rating was just as high.

But they are considered in the QBR. Smith's QBR is nearly 40 points higher against the blitz. Try again.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
How are they considered?

They're part of the formula, and the main reason Smith's QBR has been below average the past two weeks. I don't know the exact formula. I'm sure you can learn all about it with a google search or two.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They're part of the formula, and the main reason Smith's QBR has been below average the past two weeks. I don't know the exact formula "and thus, I don't know what I'm talking about."

Fixed

Let me know what you find on Google, I'll be waiting.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fixed

Let me know what you find on Google, I'll be sitting here with my dick in my hand.

Fixed. Good news for you, you'll be waiting for a long time.

As usual, you criticize but offer nothing constructive. It's a pretty tired act.

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Of course it will not show in the passer rating because it is different from the QBR rating...

"... QBR allocates the points added by every play in an NFL season to each of the players involved, every play. On completed passes, for example, it splits credit among QBs, receivers and blockers, depending on factors such as whether the quarterback was under duress, where he threw the ball, how far it traveled and how many yards the receiver gained after the catch. QBR splits the blame for sacks on quarterbacks and offensive linemen and attributes QB fumbles to QBs. Further, QBR weights every play by its clutch value -- its contribution to a team's chances of winning, given the score of a game, not just to scoring points..."

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's passer rating. QBR is ESPN's new stat. I don't know that they have released the forumla.

I think you are right but not being able to see the math makes it hard to put much faith in a formula.