• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penn State or Michigan? Which team is more likely to end Ohio State's Big Ten East dominance?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has nothing to do with the question which team is more likely to beat Ohio State. Penn State has played Ohio State close and beat them once the last five years. I already listed the scores of the last 5 Ohio State/meeeechegan games. And Ohio State has been bitch-slapping the wolvereeeens all over the field in recent years.

So you think a meeeechegan team that's gotten crushed more than once has a better chance than Penn State who's played Ohio State close? That makes no sense but okay.
Thought the question was which team would likely end it's big ten East dominance? I think it's Michigan.. yeah they been mopped to this point.. But Michigan is the best of the rest. I'm not a believer in PSU long term, especially with a coach who is always looking for greener pastures

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought the question was which team would likely end it's big ten dominance? I think it's Michigan.. yeah they been mopped to this point.. But Michigan is the best of the rest. I'm not a believer in PSU long term, especially with a coach who is always looking for greener pastures

My bad on the question there. Assuming Franklin and Harbs are around for a while I think Franklin's the better coach. So I still say Penn State. But I haven't heard about him wanting to leave Penn State. When did this start?

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad on the question there. Assuming Franklin and Harbs are around for a while I still think Franklin's the better coach. But I haven't heard about him wanting to leave Penn State. When did this start?
There was smoke about him leaving to LA, but SC couldn't afford the price

But it's like UT/ou in the big 12, sure ou has gotten the best of UT in the past RRS and in the CCG game two seasons ago.. But Texas is still the only team that can stop ou's dominance. To actually do it is another question but Texas is clearly the best of the rest in the Big 12 (odds).

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan. You don't always need more talent to beat a rival.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought the question was which team would likely end it's big ten East dominance? I think it's Michigan.. yeah they been mopped to this point.. But Michigan is the best of the rest. I'm not a believer in PSU long term, especially with a coach who is always looking for greener pastures
What's that based on? Over the past 5 years, Penn State has a better winning percentage and a conference crown, not to mention (as it's been pointed out) they have played OSU significantly closer. 2020 doesn't look to be any different in regards to who is the better team between those 2, as PSU is a likely preseason top 5 team while michigan is a fringe top 15 team. Also Harbaugh has only been there for 5 years. He won his first two games against PSU, but has now lost two of the last three.

You mention Franklin is "always looking for greener pastures", but that's only based on one rumor that pretty much took on a life of it's own without any concrete information, and that never game to fruition as he never wavered on staying at PSU. Meanwhile, Harbaugh can't even win his division, and isn't close to beating OSU, so my guess would be him leaving before Franklin at this point.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would pick Penn State over Michigan, but Michigan State frustrates Brutus more than the other two combined IMO.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's that based on? Over the past 5 years, Penn State has a better winning percentage and a conference crown, not to mention (as it's been pointed out) they have played OSU significantly closer. 2020 doesn't look to be any different in regards to who is the better team between those 2, as PSU is a likely preseason top 5 team while michigan is a fringe top 15 team. Also Harbaugh has only been there for 5 years. He won his first two games against PSU, but has now lost two of the last three.

You mention Franklin is "always looking for greener pastures", but that's only based on one rumor that pretty much took on a life of it's own without any concrete information, and that never game to fruition as he never wavered on staying at PSU. Meanwhile, Harbaugh can't even win his division, and isn't close to beating OSU, so my guess would be him leaving before Franklin at this point.
Ok, let me bring it like this then.. Since Franklin has been head coach at PSU he is 2-4 vs Michigan. This is the same Michigan team that has been handcuffed itself with bad QB play. Michigan's ceiling will always be higher than PSU. And yes it may have been "rumors" regarding Franklin to SC or FSU or Miami.. but I guess it's just the media that prints out his name as a possible candidate there.. I mean why not Saban or Dabo or Ferentz(lol)?? It's because his agent is always behind the scenes with his approval.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let me bring it like this then.. Since Franklin has been head coach at PSU he is 2-4 vs Michigan. This is the same Michigan team that has been handcuffed itself with bad QB play. Michigan's ceiling will always be higher than PSU. And yes it may have been "rumors" regarding Franklin to SC or FSU or Miami.. but I guess it's just the media that prints out his name as a possible candidate there.. I mean why not Saban or Dabo or Ferentz(lol)?? It's because his agent is always behind the scenes with his approval.
Franklin took over Penn State when they were still dealing with NCAA sanctions. He went 7-6 in both of his first two years, and he started 0-3 against michigan. However, since he's gotten them on the right track (11 wins in 3 of the last 4 years, won the conference, multiple bowl wins, good recruiting classes), he's gone 2-1 in his last 3 against michigan, and again, he's the only coach in the B1G who has shown the ability to compete with OSU each and every year. His defenses are legit top-notch nationally, and while you mention michigan has been handcuffed with bad QB play, what has PSU had? Trace McSorley was a 3* nobody and Franklin turned him into a stud in college. Clifford was a solid recruit, and had his moments last year (he shredded michigan, for example), but he's not exactly what you'd call elite. Meanwhile, Harbaugh has had 5 QBs come to his program that were either 4* or 5*, and can't develop them for shit. That's not a coincidence, he's just not good at it.

Franklin has PSU going in the right direction while Harbaugh is just spinning his tires in the mud. Nobody is afraid to play michigan right now, and it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franklin took over Penn State when they were still dealing with NCAA sanctions. He went 7-6 in both of his first two years, and he started 0-3 against michigan. However, since he's gotten them on the right track (11 wins in 3 of the last 4 years, won the conference, multiple bowl wins, good recruiting classes), he's gone 2-1 in his last 3 against michigan, and again, he's the only coach in the B1G who has shown the ability to compete with OSU each and every year. His defenses are legit top-notch nationally, and while you mention michigan has been handcuffed with bad QB play, what has PSU had? Trace McSorley was a 3* nobody and Franklin turned him into a stud in college. Clifford was a solid recruit, and had his moments last year (he shredded michigan, for example), but he's not exactly what you'd call elite. Meanwhile, Harbaugh has had 5 QBs come to his program that were either 4* or 5*, and can't develop them for shit. That's not a coincidence, he's just not good at it.

Franklin has PSU going in the right direction while Harbaugh is just spinning his tires in the mud. Nobody is afraid to play michigan right now, and it doesn't seem to be getting much better.

I would place my money on Michigan.. I don't think Jim is the answer but if anyone is going to "end the dominance" of the Eastern division it will be them before psu. I hope Franklin can do well with sanctions or "scandals" it's part of the job there

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would place my money on Michigan.. I don't think Jim is the answer but if anyone is going to "end the dominance" of the Eastern division it will be them before psu. I hope Franklin can do well with sanctions or "scandals" it's part of the job there
You would likely lose that money. Unless they overhaul that coaching staff, nothing is going to change. michigan has peaked under Harbaugh.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone come into the thread to LOL @ the Big Ten?

If not, does anyone object to me doing that now?

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess, Michigan. A lot has got to change for them though. Ohio State is so far ahead of the rest of the B1G in recruiting it ain't fair. They could drop a game here or there to either of these teams, but to actually accomplish taking Ohio States spot for more than a year maybe something drastic will have to happen

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has nothing to do with the question which team is more likely to beat Ohio State. Penn State has played Ohio State close and beat them once the last five years. I already listed the scores of the last 5 Ohio State/meeeechegan games. And Ohio State has been bitch-slapping the wolvereeeens all over the field in recent years.

So you think a meeeechegan team that's gotten crushed more than once has a better chance than Penn State who's played Ohio State close? That makes no sense but okay.
Let's be honest though, it's not like PSU has been crushing OSU the last decade. They have two wins to our single win. If your metric is simply "closer" losses, then OK. Michigan also has more talent on paper than PSU. Particularly important with this super class OSU is pulling in.

But given all of that, I think the next decade will produce similar results. A couple wins (maybe) for either team.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Over the last five years (since Harbs has been there) Penn State actually won the division. And over that time span Penn State has played Ohio State better than meeeechegan.
You know how Penn State was able to win the division? Because a ref decided to spot the ball wrong in the 2016 Michigan Ohio State game.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Care to elaborate on 2021 michigan?

Has more to do with what I'm projecting PSU to lose off the 2020 team. And the 2021 is at Michigan. Not that that means a whole lot, but if I'm giving Michigan a 5% chance to beat OSU, that raised the odds a little. They just aren't winning at the Shoe anytime soon now.