• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter if everyone disagrees. If we get Connor McDavid I will have the last laugh & all the nay sayers will grovel before the Doobster!

:nod:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fake it? Intentionally play poorly?

Seriously, drop it. It's never going to happen. These are professional athletes who are playing the game they love and who want to win every single night. You're going to just ask them to intentionally suck because they're not good enough? Do you want to burn bridges not only with every player on our roster, but probably every player in the league and every prospect you hope to draft using this nonsense strategy?

You complained since the Olympic break that the team didn't have heart, that it wasn't a winning culture, and now you want to artificially instill an intentional losing culture? You can't have it both ways.

You're wasting everyone's time by pushing this idea. No one agrees with you on this point, we all think it's beyond stupid (because it is), and you should probably just stop bringing it up altogether so we can focus on actual and reasonable roster solutions.

And another thing, how do we make reasonable roster moves? We have no cap space & our most tradable players are signed to the worst contracts imaginable. I see no hope to improve this upcoming season unless a miracle happens. Best we could hope for next season is just a repeat of this season. This is why we need to be creative. Find away to get that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they have cap issues but Neal has real value and would free up some. I doubt Letang, Kunitz or Dupuis would be dealt anyway. The only hope with Scuderi is that he retires.

Hindsight was prior to the season Letang/Scuderi pairing on paper looked good with Martin/Orpik and then after this season you would have the influx of younger talent. As we all see that didn't work out.

But I just don't get the logic to "blow it up" when they have been successful? What good would that do if the Penguins deal Malkin or Crosby with the hope they get someone who might turn out to be the next Alexander Daigle?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they have cap issues but Neal has real value and would free up some. I doubt Letang, Kunitz or Dupuis would be dealt anyway. The only hope with Scuderi is that he retires.

Hindsight was prior to the season Letang/Scuderi pairing on paper looked good with Martin/Orpik and then after this season you would have the influx of younger talent. As we all see that didn't work out.

But I just don't get the logic to "blow it up" when they have been successful? What good would that do if the Penguins deal Malkin or Crosby with the hope they get someone who might turn out to be the next Alexander Daigle?

If we were to blow it up I wouldn't trade Sid or Geno. Everyone else however...

I think we should trade Neal, we have enough left handed shooters and like you said he has the most trade value right now. That's still only $5 million off the books tho. We still need to find a way to dump more if we're going to get better.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, as far as tanking for a better future goes, all you have to do is look back and see how the Pens wound up getting in position to draft #66. Not advocating Doob's strategy, but the precedent is right there and that worked out pretty well. This would have to be a much more bold tank job as the current Pens have way more talent than the one that ultimately got them Mario.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, as far as tanking for a better future goes, all you have to do is look back and see how the Pens wound up getting in position to draft #66. Not advocating Doob's strategy, but the precedent is right there and that worked out pretty well. This would have to be a much more bold tank job as the current Pens have way more talent than the one that ultimately got them Mario.

I agree, would be a bold move plus 2015 is a good year to miss the playoffs. Expected to be a deep draft class.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah No way should this team tank. Especially with Sid and Geno being in their prime. I think with the right coach, this team has enough to right now to possibly win a cup. There are for sure some guys who need to go who would need to be replaced but I think it starts with the coaching.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah No way should this team tank. Especially with Sid and Geno being in their prime. I think with the right coach, this team has enough to right now to possibly win a cup. There are for sure some guys who need to go who would need to be replaced but I think it starts with the coaching.

Let's say no to Connor McDavid for a second...

:bawling:

Okay, what about missing the playoffs? Way we played since the Olympics we hardly looked like a playoff team & I expect more of the same next year (same roster, same coach). Is it completely unreasonable to miss the playoffs for a good pick in 2015? It's supposed to be a really good draft.

I guess with the type of contracts we got, I just don't see how we get better without draft picks and I'm not talking about late 1st rounders either.

IDK I just wish we had a better solution than to replace Adams & Glass with Megna & Gibbons.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wont be me.....you kill me
your tank plan will cost the Pens off season money. I dont think the Pens had the hunger after the olympics but the GM change could bring that hunger back to the players. IMO, they were the ones that lost it not Dan handling contracts because its not his job

whoops I butted in again, my bad

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say no to Connor McDavid for a second...

:bawling:

Okay, what about missing the playoffs? Way we played since the Olympics we hardly looked like a playoff team & I expect more of the same next year (same roster, same coach). Is it completely unreasonable to miss the playoffs for a good pick in 2015? It's supposed to be a really good draft.

I guess with the type of contracts we got, I just don't see how we get better without draft picks and I'm not talking about late 1st rounders either.

IDK I just wish we had a better solution than to replace Adams & Glass with Megna & Gibbons.

I cant disagree with you on expecting the same next year. Especially with Bylsma. They were playing very good before the Olympics so what changed? They don't play near their potential. Lack of skill isn't why they typically lose. Its stupid mistakes, lack of effort or getting out coached. But you are right though Doob. If something doesn't change, it will be more of the same but I just don't think tanking is the answer. I guess I am saying they need to just "get better" somehow. :noidea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cant disagree with you on expecting the same next year. Especially with Bylsma. They were playing very good before the Olympics so what changed? They don't play near their potential. Lack of skill isn't why they typically lose. Its stupid mistakes, lack of effort or getting out coached. But you are right though Doob. If something doesn't change, it will be more of the same but I just don't think tanking is the answer. I guess I am saying they need to just "get better" somehow. :noidea:

Yeah I just feel we're stuck where we are unless we could somehow part with some of these contracts. At the very least try to get rid of Scuderi, ya know ?

:gaah:

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I just feel we're stuck where we are unless we could somehow part with some of these contracts. At the very least try to get rid of Scuderi, ya know ?

:gaah:

Sure do! The contracts are such a ball and chain. Just have to wait and see what they do if anything. maybe the Pirates will turn things around and give us something to enjoy this summer?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure do! The contracts are such a ball and chain. Just have to wait and see what they do if anything. maybe the Pirates will turn things around and give us something to enjoy this summer?

They've been good as of late. I just fear they have to win the division to make it into the post season. & I don't think we're at the level of the Cardinals. Glad they've up 'd their game recently tho. We could use a boost.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow what a tremendous take down.

There is pretty good literature out there that the PK is at it's best when limiting shots, in that PK Save% for goaltenders regresses to a standard number after a certain sample size, I think it's about .890 as the standard.

The Pens great pk was built on a terrific save % from MAF for most of the year, he was something insane like .930 on the pk. And once he started to regress/luck ran out, the terrible hockey players the Pens trotted out there really showed.

But yea, any 'hockey man' that looks at Glass and Adams and sees anything but terrible, useless hockey players is asking to be fired.

Pens need to play good players on the pk, doesn't have to be Sid/Malkin, but Kunitz, Stemp, Jokinen types would have been an improvement.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow what a tremendous take down.

There is pretty good literature out there that the PK is at it's best when limiting shots, in that PK Save% for goaltenders regresses to a standard number after a certain sample size, I think it's about .890 as the standard.

The Pens great pk was built on a terrific save % from MAF for most of the year, he was something insane like .930 on the pk. And once he started to regress/luck ran out, the terrible hockey players the Pens trotted out there really showed.

But yea, any 'hockey man' that looks at Glass and Adams and sees anything but terrible, useless hockey players is asking to be fired.

Pens need to play good players on the pk, doesn't have to be Sid/Malkin, but Kunitz, Stemp, Jokinen types would have been an improvement.

It's all because Duper was injured...:suds: