• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul George informs the Pacers he is leaving next year

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lineup if they could pull a deal without JR (unlikely) would be:

TT
Lebron
PG
JR
Kyrie

They would need to pick up another stretch 4 for the bench but they have Frye. As far as starters go they woudnt need a stretch 4 bc ultimately Lebron and PG can play the 4. This also could workout bc eventually Lebron is going to have to transition to the 4 later in his career. That would be interesting

If Cavs throw in Wiggy, Pacers prob jump on it.

Then, Cavs lose next season.
George and James go to L.A., and Kyrie leads Cavs back to lotto until he can bolt.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sends a clear message to Indy that they can't resign him. If there was any hope at all, Indy would do anything to try to resign him next summer. At least Indy gets something instead of nothing, then again, the only team he wants to play for happens to be my team, so I may not be seeing the situation clearly.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland would never do that. At least they shouldn't. Don't see them beating GSW with a big 3 of Bron, George, and Love. Now if it is Kyrie, Bron, and PG-13 then it is very possible.
Crazy thing is, I don't even think that would be enough either, but it would be another interesting wrinkle in the Cavs/Warriors rivalry

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is why I felt that the criticism of Lebron when he signed with Miami or when he went back to Cleveland was unwarranted
Same with Durant signing with Golden State

This is America - Lebron and Durant did what any of us have the right to do - choose where you want to work
Good for them

Exactly, I have no problem with the fact that each changed teams. I don't like the way Lebron went about it the 2 times he left. But as far as him leaving...I have no issue with that. He had fulfilled his contract each time and was free to go where he wanted.

I think most folks who have issues with Lebron and KD changing teams are just upset that they didn't want to go to their team (except @ChiefsLakers67 who would have been upset if Lebron chose the Lakers. lol).

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy thing is, I don't even think that would be enough either, but it would be another interesting wrinkle in the Cavs/Warriors rivalry

That would get them a lot closer. Move Love for PG13 and you could have a starting lineup, in the playoffs, of George at the 3 and James at the 4.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, it's just nice to have a pass-first type of PG to help shoulder the load. Then again, with guys like Randle and Ingram, you're not really short on players who can handle the ball.

I think Luke would like the Lakers to play offense like the Warriors do. So the more guys that can handle the ball and are willing passers is going to be a must. Could you imagine the ball movement with guys like Ball or Fox, PG-13, Ingram and Randle?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's also got 4 more championships than the Utah Jazz

Dude would've had 6 if Malone had not gotten injured in 04, and him AND Wade got hurt in 05.

Just some bad luck two years in a row.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This may have been discussed already, but isn't the difference between a dick move and doing a solid about PG going public with it? Shouldn't he have just privately gone to the new GM and said I'm not re-signing here so do what you need to do? The dick move isn't leaving it's doing so publicly which kills Indiana's leverage.

Depends on who leaked it. The reports I have read say that George informed the Pacers through his agent, but it doesn't say who they heard the information from.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. The individual is not bigger than the organization. I say wait until August 1st and just buy him out and destroy his image That way, free agents will have already been signed an team's cap space will have already been used, leaving PC13 ("PC" is for "problem child") with limited options to sign.

He's already limited his options to sign by saying he wants to go to the Lakers.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's already limited his options to sign by saying he wants to go to the Lakers.

Someone could gamble on him.

The Spurs are a team that probably should take a swing.

You have some options, like Danny Green, Dejonte Murray, and their full allotted set of firsts over the next few years. If you aren't taking Love, it would be interesting to see if SA throws their hat in there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, it wasn't PG being honest. It was his agent delivering a message about him to the Pacers. What the Pacers need to do is call up George himself and make him meet eye-to-eye with the organization's representatives on it. The agent's word means jack, for he is not under contract with the Pacers.

All of this is done through agents. That's why players have them. The way it works in the NBA and in professional sports in general, is that when the agents speaks, it's essentially the same thing as the player himself speaking.

Back to your original point, the Pacers are not obligated to let their trade talks known with him. On the flip side, if I personally went to my boss and made it known to him that I was planning to leave and join a rival organization, he would have every right to fire me.

Not if you are under contract. Unless there is a buyout clause.

That goes back to my original point that if these reports are in fact true, I would make the bold move and cut his ass on August 1st if there's no decent trade offer before then. Paul George is not bigger than the organization, and his reputation would take a major hit if the Pacers were to simply cut him. Not going to happen, but it should.

Why would he care if his reputation took a major hit? He already knows where he wants to go and I'm sure he knows that the Lakers want him. It's not like the Lakers are going to lose interest because the Pacers cut him. They'd probably thank the Pacers for doing so.

Cutting him would just mean that the Pacers have to buy out his contract and lose him a year early while getting nothing for him. If they work a trade, they at least get some sort of asset for him.

In short, by cutting him, the Pacers would be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I can tell you still live in your mom's basement. In the real world, you're allowed to go to another company. I literally went from one company and joined a rival organization later on. As long as you put your two weeks notice, you're fine. At least that's how it works in the IT field. Stop comparing athletes to regular employees - it's not the same.

Exactly. When I was offered my current job, which was the one I really wanted, I had already been hired and was in literally my last 2 days of training. I left that company for the one I currently work for. The only thing to negotiate was whether or not they needed 2 weeks notice. But since I was just completing training and didn't have an official site yet, they just let me go without the 2 weeks notice.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never understand why players say they have a preference of where they want to play. I don't see how that helps them at all.

If they are planning to go there when they are free agents, then this does nothing to facilitate that. If they want to be moved there immediately this reduces that chance of that happening.

I disagree. Using PG-13 as an example, even if he doesn't come to the Lakers via trade, he has informed the Lakers that LA is where he wants to be. That lets them know that if they want him, they should get busy working a trade or get busy making sure they have the cap space to sign him.

It also lets the rest of the league know not to waste their time.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Using PG-13 as an example, even if he doesn't come to the Lakers via trade, he has informed the Lakers that LA is where he wants to be. That lets them know that if they want him, they should get busy working a trade or get busy making sure they have the cap space to sign him.

Yeah, the biggest thing would be if the Lakers didn't have the cap space...that would be a Kings like failure.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. My only issue was his lakers comment which would hurt other teams knowing that he is likely a rental because no matter what, he plans on being a free agent in 2018. So unless you think he can get you to the finals or win the finals with him then why risk it? For example, I saw reports of how Miami can offer Tyler Johnson, Winslow, & Mcroberts (LMAOOO) but probably won't get involved simply because it is a huge risk due to the chance he leaves next summer.

How does this hurt other teams? It informs them of his intentions and lets them know that if they give up assets for him, they are likely losing them for a 1 year rental.

Imo, that's a whole lot better than not saying anything, letting that team give up assets for him and then walking at the end of the season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But it puts the Pacers in a very difficult situation. By publicly stating that he prefers to go to the Lakers, thee Pacers front office MUST play a hard line on any possible trade because otherwise they know their players can put a gun to their head whenever they want.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it puts the Pacers in a very difficult situation. By publicly stating that he prefers to go to the Lakers, thee Pacers front office MUST play a hard line on any possible trade because otherwise they know their players can put a gun to their head whenever they want.

Welcome to the NBA.

You must be a new fan. ;)

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already knows where he wants to go and I'm sure he knows that the Lakers want him. It's not like the Lakers are going to lose interest because the Pacers cut him. They'd probably thank the Pacers for doing so.

There is an outside possibility that PG could get traded to a contender and like that situation enough to sign there.

Or he already knows that LAL is the place to be for 2018.

The only remaining question : Is this about getting paid or will he sign for a hometown discount to allow them to bring in more players???