• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul George forces his second trade in barely two years...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree to a point. I think his decision really hinged on the Clips getting another top player and it truly took that long for the PG trade to get worked out.

I agree that the Clips were probably his preferred destination, but he wasn't going by himself.

I agree, and perhaps the Raptors were a short-term fall back if he couldn't get anyone, but I don't get the feeling that the Lakers were ever truly in the mix. If they were, why wait? He wasn't going to get a better partner than AD (if Lebron is too old to really count). You could argue Durant, but his decision was made VERY early on.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and perhaps the Raptors were a short-term fall back if he couldn't get anyone, but I don't get the feeling that the Lakers were ever truly in the mix. If they were, why wait? He wasn't going to get a better partner than AD (if Lebron is too old to really count). You could argue Durant, but his decision was made VERY early on.

See, I don't think the Raptors were seriously in it. I think he was going to LA and it was just a matter of whether it was the Clippers or Lakers once the Lakers cleared enough cap space for him.

The reason for him to wait is simple. The Clips were his preferred choice but they had no other star and he didn't want to have to try to win by himself again.

So, if the Clips could get another star, that's where he was going. If they didn't, then he was going to the Lakers.

I think the only way he would have returned to the Raptors would have been on a short term deal (1+1 or 2+1) if the Clips couldn't get another star and the Lakers couldn't clear a max spot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I don't think the Raptors were seriously in it. I think he was going to LA and it was just a matter of whether it was the Clippers or Lakers once the Lakers cleared enough cap space for him.

The reason for him to wait is simple. The Clips were his preferred choice but they had no other star and he didn't want to have to try to win by himself again.

So, if the Clips could get another star, that's where he was going. If they didn't, then he was going to the Lakers.

I think the only way he would have returned to the Raptors would have been on a short term deal (1+1 or 2+1) if the Clips couldn't get another star and the Lakers couldn't clear a max spot.

I disagree. What star could he get to come with him (especially via trade, which cost the Clips a lot of assets) to the Clips that would make for a better core than Kawhi/AD/Lebron, with Kuzma to include as well? Do you think the current Clips are better situated than the Lakers would be with Kawhi?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and multiple picks and Marc Gasol, who led the franchise for the next decade. Kwame was just salary matching. That's like saying the Clippers got PG for Gallo.
It still paid off, I never said it didnt pay off for both teams The Lakers, however is he one that got two championships from it. Memphis turned their team around for the next decade. MY POINT was trades do pay off

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. What star could he get to come with him (especially via trade, which cost the Clips a lot of assets) to the Clips that would make for a better core than Kawhi/AD/Lebron, with Kuzma to include as well? Do you think the current Clips are better situated than the Lakers would be with Kawhi?

Of course not. But there is also the circus that comes with being a Laker. It's a bit of a circus being a Laker even without Lebron. With Lebron, it would make the old Showtime or Shaq/Kobe Lakers look like they were ignored. When has Kawhi ever shown a desire to be part of that kind of situation?

Additionally, I don't know how much of a "legacy guy" Kawhi is, but I would expect that on some level, he does think about it.

What does more for his legacy...joining the Lakers and winning a couple of titles with Lebron and AD? Or going to a franchise that has been a laughingstock for most of it's existence and winning one there?

Heck, he probably doesn't even have to win a title...just getting them to the WCF would be taking them farther than they've ever gone in their existence.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD isn’t a two way player? Ok.

I didn’t say he wasn’t. His defense improved exponentially once he joined the Warriors.

He isn’t on the same level defensively as Kawhi and PG13, who have been all-NBA defensive players for years.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t say he wasn’t. His defense improved exponentially once he joined the Warriors.

He isn’t on the same level defensively as Kawhi and PG13, who have been all-NBA defensive players for years.
Durant most likely will miss all of this season and nobody can predict if he will be at 100% when he does play.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant most likely will miss all of this season and nobody can predict if he will be at 100% when he does play.

That too, but Durant was never on the level defensively that PG13 and Kawhi are at. He become a very good defender in GSW’s system, but Kawhi and PG13 are in the elite of the elite defensively.

Reactions: GNG

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That too, but Durant was never on the level defensively that PG13 and Kawhi are at. He become a very good defender in GSW’s system, but Kawhi and PG13 are in the elite of the elite defensively.

The challenge was to find a player who is a better two way player than Paul George, not one who is a better two way player who also plays better defense than Paul George.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The challenge was to find a player who is a better two way player than Paul George, not one who is a better two way player who also plays better defense than Paul George.

Paul George was 1st team all-NBA and 1st team all-NBA defensive team in 2019.

Was Durant?!?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kawhi Leonard was 2nd team all-NBA and 2nd all-NBA defensive team in 2019.

Durant is an otherworldly talent on offense. I’d take him over arguably anyone else in the NBA. He isn’t on the same level as Leonard and George defensively.

Anthony Davis has an argument, Giannis has an argument. In a NBA where perimeter defense is so unbelievably important with 3 point shooting being more prevalent than ever before. George and Leonard are 1a and 1b for best two players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi Leonard was 2nd team all-NBA and 2nd all-NBA defensive team in 2019.

Durant is an otherworldly talent on offense. I’d take him over arguably anyone else in the NBA. He isn’t on the same level as Leonard and George defensively.

Anthony Davis has an argument, Giannis has an argument. In a NBA where perimeter defense is so unbelievably important with 3 point shooting being more prevalent than ever before. George and Leonard are 1a and 1b for best two players.

Durant has been a good defender over the past few years. While he is not as good as George defensively, he is much, much better offensively. By degrees of measure that extend beyond the defensive gap.

KD very much has an argument. As does Davis.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Woj and others basically said this when the news broke. Basically if the Clippers didn't find a way to make a deal work then he wasn't going there. Likely would have went to the Lakers

Actually, they just said on FS1 that Kawhi was never going to go to the Lakers. I think Kawhi probably would've signed a 1-and-1 in Toronto if the Clips couldn't trade for another star.

Kawhi wants his own team. With the Lakers, he wasn't going to have that. Not even close.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, they just said on FS1 that Kawhi was never going to go to the Lakers. I think Kawhi probably would've signed a 1-and-1 in Toronto if the Clips couldn't trade for another star.

Kawhi wants his own team. With the Lakers, he wasn't going to have that. Not even close.

I think it is humorous that in 2 years in LA, the only players they were able to sway to join LeBron was AD and it was by trade.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is humorous that in 2 years in LA, the only players they were able to sway to join LeBron was AD and it was by trade.

Agreed on that front. Although, I think AD would've signed in LA next offseason too be quite honest.

But that's the public perception about playing with Lebron that some stars are against - if you win, Lebron gets most of the credit. If you lose, people start looking at the supporting cast.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. But there is also the circus that comes with being a Laker. It's a bit of a circus being a Laker even without Lebron. With Lebron, it would make the old Showtime or Shaq/Kobe Lakers look like they were ignored. When has Kawhi ever shown a desire to be part of that kind of situation?

Additionally, I don't know how much of a "legacy guy" Kawhi is, but I would expect that on some level, he does think about it.

What does more for his legacy...joining the Lakers and winning a couple of titles with Lebron and AD? Or going to a franchise that has been a laughingstock for most of it's existence and winning one there?

Heck, he probably doesn't even have to win a title...just getting them to the WCF would be taking them farther than they've ever gone in their existence.

Can you name the players that took the Clippers to the playoffs before CP3/Blake? They have to win a championship to be remembered as greats in LA.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't help that most teams have refused to trade with the Lakers of late. Pels at first, Spurs with Kawhi, etc. I'm sure if the Lakers had convinced PG13 that he should come to LA via trade, the Thunder wouldn't have been so quick to act.

Jealousy is a coldhearted bitch.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's humorous you believe Harbaugh's a better college football coach than Saban because he had more success coaching in the NFL. And are you still insisting JH is currently 1 of the 3 best coaches in all of CFB?