• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Paul George forces his second trade in barely two years...

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because when the trade was suggested, the Lakers didn't have the #4 pick yet. They were projected to have the #11 pick. That's part of why other teams could have beaten their offer.

The combination of the Lakers getting the #4 pick (which was much more attractive) and AD poisoning the well for other teams by saying he wouldn't re-sign with them is why AD is a Laker.
Duh. That's the point. Was told they blew the chance to get Kuz by not dealing early, and I said quite possible they preferred the 4 to Kuz. You disagree?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol all you want. It's Kawhi. You get him if you can.

I agree. But my point is that, while I think you are right that the Spurs would at least listen to the Lakers offer...shopson is also right in that the Spurs weren't sending Kawhi to the Lakers and both sides knew it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duh. That's the point. Was told they blew the chance to get Kuz by not dealing early, and I said quite possible they preferred the 4 to Kuz. You disagree?

Yes, because at the time, the Lakers didn't have the #4 pick to offer them.

Once they had the #4 pick, it's certainly possible that the Pels preferred the pick to Kuzma. But, it's also possible that they wanted Kuzma, but the Lakers didn't want to give him up so the Pels took the #4 as a very nice consolation prize.

End of the day, it really doesn't matter because both teams pretty much got what they wanted.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But my point is that, while I think you are right that the Spurs would at least listen to the Lakers offer...shopson is also right in that the Spurs weren't sending Kawhi to the Lakers and both sides knew it.
Because they wouldn't/couldn't offer enough? I can buy that. But if they offered Kuz, Ball, Ingram and 5 unprotected first rounders?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because at the time, the Lakers didn't have the #4 pick to offer them.

Once they had the #4 pick, it's certainly possible that the Pels preferred the pick to Kuzma. But, it's also possible that they wanted Kuzma, but the Lakers didn't want to give him up so the Pels took the #4 as a very nice consolation prize.

End of the day, it really doesn't matter because both teams pretty much got what they wanted.
which means they didn't "blow the chance to get Kuz". They chose to not get Kuz. We don't know this, of course, but if was available midseason stands to reason he was still available.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which means they didn't "blow the chance to get Kuz". They chose to not get Kuz. We don't know this, of course, but if was available midseason stands to reason he was still available.

No, because the leverage is different. Lakers were trying to make a playoff push last season, so offered more to get AD in house (although it would've been difficult with all the moving parts of course).

Let's say the Lakers squeeze in and get the 8th seed and get bounced. #15(ish) pick and Kuzma instead of #4. Pels traded #4 for #8 and #17. Is Kuzma worth more than the #8 pick? I would certainly think so.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, because the leverage is different. Lakers were trying to make a playoff push last season, so offered more to get AD in house (although it would've been difficult with all the moving parts of course).

Let's say the Lakers squeeze in and get the 8th seed and get bounced. #15(ish) pick and Kuzma instead of #4. Pels traded #4 for #8 and #17. Is Kuzma worth more than the #8 pick? I would certainly think so.
Question is would Kuzma be worth more then the 4. We don't know if they think he is or not. Not crazy to think they prefer the 4, though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question is would Kuzma be worth more then the 4. We don't know if they think he is or not. Not crazy to think they prefer the 4, though.

Kuzma and the 8. Pels didn't pick at 4.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they wouldn't/couldn't offer enough? I can buy that. But if they offered Kuz, Ball, Ingram and 5 unprotected first rounders?

I don't think they had enough for the Spurs to trade with them. But then I don't know what Pop thinks of Kuz, Ball and Ingram.

My guess is that even if Pop liked Kuz, Ball and Ingram, I think he would still prefer what they got from Toronto. He's too old to be waiting for kids to develop.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kuzma and the 8. Pels didn't pick at 4.
But that's the pick they traded for. At the time of the deal they could not have had the 8 (wasn't it 8 and 17 with a future pick?).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they had enough for the Spurs to trade with them. But then I don't know what Pop thinks of Kuz, Ball and Ingram.

My guess is that even if Pop liked Kuz, Ball and Ingram, I think he would still prefer what they got from Toronto. He's too old to be waiting for kids to develop.
That is certainly possible. Maybe even likely

But if LA was the team dealing Derozan and Poetl and a pick I think Pop takes their deal if he preferred those players. It wasn't Pop being a hard ass as the reason they didn't get Kawhi IMO is was the Lakers not offering what he wanted IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is certainly possible. Maybe even likely

But if LA was the team dealing Derozan and Poetl and a pick I think Pop takes their deal if he preferred those players. It wasn't Pop being a hard ass as the reason they didn't get Kawhi IMO is was the Lakers not offering what he wanted IMO.

Pop being a hard ass was definitely a contributing factor.

If another team was offering something in the neighborhood of similar value to the Laker offer Pop was taking it.

Rumor is he even encouraged Demps to deal with anyone but the Lakers. And for good reason.

If you give the player exactly what they want when they demand a trade, then you run the risk of being victimized by future requests the instant a player is unhappy. It is somewhat about principle, but also about established a precedent that your organization is not caving to specific trade requests. You only deal a player if it is in the best interest of your organization long term. The Spurs have a rep of not caving to player trade demands.

Right or wrong, Pop viewed granted that trade request to the Lakers in similar fashion to negotiating with terrorists. And no, I don’t think he was dealing to LA unless they offered a lot more than anyone else. Which they did not.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop being a hard ass was definitely a contributing factor.

If another team was offering something in the neighborhood of similar value to the Laker offer Pop was taking it.

Rumor is he even encouraged Demps to deal with anyone but the Lakers. And for good reason.

If you give the player exactly what they want when they demand a trade, then you run the risk of being victimized by future requests the instant a player is unhappy. It is somewhat about principle, but also about established a precedent that your organization is not caving to specific trade requests. You only deal a player if it is in the best interest of your organization long term. The Spurs have a rep of not caving to player trade demands.

Right or wrong, Pop viewed granted that trade request to the Lakers in similar fashion to negotiating with terrorists. And no, I don’t think he was dealing to LA unless they offered a lot more than anyone else. Which they did not.
Pop caved to Kawhi's demands....maybe he encouraged Demps not to deal him to LAL because that is a rival and Pop would rather see him in the East?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop caved to Kawhi's demands....maybe he encouraged Demps not to deal him to LAL because that is a rival and Pop would rather see him in the East?

Kawhi asked to be traded to the Lakers.

Pop waited a pretty long time and then dealt him to another country.

He traded Kawhi because it was in the best interest of the team to trade a disgruntled player. He did not cave to the demand because he traded Kawhi on his terms, not Kawhi’s.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that seems to be a norm - for other teams in the same conference - For the same reason the Lakers didn't want to trade Shaq to the Dallas(that and the Lakers wanted Nowitzki - and Cuban wouldn't trade him).

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At that time Kuzma was less mature and not as developed as he is now, not that matters because Poopovich hates the Lakers and would never trade an all star, let alone the best player in the NBA to the Lakers and as I recall, that was not long after the Lakers had just signed LeBron. The man would have been insane to give the Lakers the best player in the NBA to a championship player to play with. The Lakers would been instant contenders

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi asked to be traded to the Lakers.

Pop waited a pretty long time and then dealt him to another country.

He traded Kawhi because it was in the best interest of the team to trade a disgruntled player. He did not cave to the demand because he traded Kawhi on his terms, not Kawhi’s.
Kawhi asked to be traded and he traded him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets look back at this trade at the moment. OKC is winning this trade at the moment, I think load management could be hurting PG getting in a rhythm, he still having a very good season but obviously playoffs is the only thing that matters so only time will tell who really won this trade.

Clippers get Paul George - 22 ppg 6 rpg 4 apg shooting 39% from 3. Playing some good ball but only 34 games with load management.

The Thunder get Danilo Gallinari and SGA.

Gallinari - 19 ppg 6 rpg 2 apg shooting 40% from 3.
SGA - 20 ppg 6 rpg 3 apg shooting 35% from 3. Only 21 years old and having a great 2nd year in the league.

Clippers currently 37-18, 3rd in the West.
Thunder currently 33-22, 6th in the West. Only 4 games behind after trading their star player.

They are projected right now to meet in the 1st round, that would be interesting.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets look back at this trade at the moment. OKC is winning this trade at the moment, I think load management could be hurting PG getting in a rhythm, he still having a very good season but obviously playoffs is the only thing that matters so only time will tell who really won this trade.

Clippers get Paul George - 22 ppg 6 rpg 4 apg shooting 39% from 3. Playing some good ball but only 34 games with load management.

SGA - 20 ppg 6 rpg 3 apg shooting 35% from 3. Only 21 years old and having a great 2nd year in the league.

Thunder currently 33-22, 6th in the West. Only 4 games behind after trading their star player.

They are projected right now to meet in the 1st round, that would be interesting.

This trade wasn't about the regular season though. We'll have to see if George shows up for the postseason to really see the value of the trade. We could see Playoff P, which would push the trade further in OKC's favor.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Clippers won it.

Without this trade, Kawhi is a Laker.