• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thursday Night Football: Panthers @ Broncos on NBC

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference between tackling a guy and just touching him with the no contact... That's why I said some of the call's ... If your just gonna grab the guy that's a totally different scenario ... touching the guy's face mask is another different scenario, last night to give away a 1st down on a 4th and a mile because the guy's face mask was touched is ridiculous ... If it's a blatant hold allow the offensive team to still finish the play, so they get a mulligan PLUS make it a 10 yard penalty ... Offenses have to start earning 1st downs, defenses have enough rules they're dealing with ... Auto 1st downs are way too easy right now...

Well hands to the face is one where they decided to take out the refs judgement from the call (like the 5 vs. 15 yard facemasks). It was actually mostly put in to help the defense, expanded upon because of offensive linemen popping defensive linemen right under the jaw when the ball is snapped (and the head injury protection side of things). They removed the "sustained contact" from the rule so that instant uppercut couldn't be used anymore and made it across the board.

I actually am all for the removing of referee judgement calls whenever possible, like this, the facemasks, running into/roughing the kicker, type ones when possible...

To me, if you are going to press at the line on 3rd and forever, you'd better make damn sure you don't get your hands anywhere near his face and don't grab anything.

And that's where it gets tough. Do you bring back the "judgement" calls where the ref says the grab of the facemask or jersey was blatant enough to warrant a first down (beat and doing it as a last ditch). Because the last thing I want to see is a blown coverage where the guy just yanks at a receiver and ruins what could have been an easy TD, and instead they get 3rd and 25 instead.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well hands to the face is one where they decided to take out the refs judgement from the call (like the 5 vs. 15 yard facemasks). It was actually mostly put in to help the defense, expanded upon because of offensive linemen popping defensive linemen right under the jaw when the ball is snapped (and the head injury protection side of things). They removed the "sustained contact" from the rule so that instant uppercut couldn't be used anymore and made it across the board.

I actually am all for the removing of referee judgement calls whenever possible, like this, the facemasks, running into/roughing the kicker, type ones when possible...

To me, if you are going to press at the line on 3rd and forever, you'd better make damn sure you don't get your hands anywhere near his face and don't grab anything.

And that's where it gets tough. Do you bring back the "judgement" calls where the ref says the grab of the facemask or jersey was blatant enough to warrant a first down (beat and doing it as a last ditch). Because the last thing I want to see is a blown coverage where the guy just yanks at a receiver and ruins what could have been an easy TD, and instead they get 3rd and 25 instead.

Well like I was saying though... If the DB is just gonna bail out on the play and grab the guy make it a more severe penalty... Holding or an obvious PI is a huge difference from an illegal contact or a hand to the face incidentally ...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly just don't know if there is a perfect solution to all of the officiating. They try to simplify things and it makes people mad. They try to complicate things and people are mad. Just no perfect answer. I do wish on calls like last night with the hands to the face that they could review maybe one call a game as one of your challenges. So then the officials could take a look and see that it should have been offsetting penalties with Benjamin's hands all up in Harris' facemask as well.