• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barrows:

49ers LIMITED in practice: CB Tarell Brown (shoulder), S Dashon Goldson (shoulder), LB Clark Haggans (shoulder), RB Bruce Miller (shoulder), LB Aldon Smith (shoulder), DT Justin Smith (elbow, triceps), DT Will Tukuafu (neck)

FULL PARTICIPATION: Bowman (shoulder), Celek (foot), Gooden (ribs), Iupati (shoulder), CB Carlos Rogers (knee), LB Patrick Willis (shoulder)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

Possibly interesting tidbit: #49ers kicker Billy Cundiff has worked with a sports psychologist since 2007.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I am worried about this too. Isn't Justin Smith the epitome of the type of guy who will try to play no matter what? I think it is really up to the coaches to watch carefully how he is using/not using that arm and yank him if he looks non-effective. None of this "he said he is good to go" bs. Do your job, don't just hope a guy is "good to go" or buy his happy talk.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

Spoke to former All-Pro center Kevin Mawae (two torn triceps) about Justin Smith: “If it’s a minimal tear, then it’s no big deal.”

Kevin Mawae on the aura of Justin Smith: “Everyone knows Justin. He’s got that Budweiser tattoo on his arm.” #49ers

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Green Bay Packers:

WRs: Nelson-ankle (limited), Cobb still under weather with illness, was at practice. #Packers

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cam Inman:

Want a new drug? Sorry, Huey Lewis & News will sing National Anthem at #49ers playoff opener, just like last year (and every year it seems)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brian Murphy:

49ers OL Alex Boone told us Kap isn't stressed by much. He greeted first huddle vs. Bears by saying: "All right, ladies, let's do this."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Josh Dubow:

49ers are NFL-worst 7 for 18 (38.9%) on 3rd and 1; Gore 4-10 on 3rd or 4th and 1 runs; tied for worst w/ 10+ carriers

49ers tied for 2nd most delay of game calls with 8

I've said for 11 years that 3rd downs in football across the board will be the death of me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Josh Dubow:

49ers are NFL-worst 7 for 18 (38.9%) on 3rd and 1; Gore 4-10 on 3rd or 4th and 1 runs; tied for worst w/ 10+ carriers

49ers tied for 2nd most delay of game calls with 8

I've said for 11 years that 3rd downs in football across the board will be the death of me.

If Jacobs had been healthy, professional, and good enough for the 46, we might have had a better percentage... or not. I don't know how much of this is personnel and how much is blocking schemes - I know the opponent knows what we were doing. I wonder what last year's numbers for the Niners were and a comparison between NYG with and without Jacobs - though they may have used him differently. If we were bad last year, too, there was a reason for thinking Jacobs might help - but only if he had an effect in his career prior. I know people talked about using him on short yard downs, but was that only supposed to be red-zone 3rd and goal (short)?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Jacobs had been healthy, professional, and good enough for the 46, we might have had a better percentage... or not. I don't know how much of this is personnel and how much is blocking schemes - I know the opponent knows what we were doing. I wonder what last year's numbers for the Niners were and a comparison between NYG with and without Jacobs - though they may have used him differently. If we were bad last year, too, there was a reason for thinking Jacobs might help - but only if he had an effect in his career prior. I know people talked about using him on short yard downs, but was that only supposed to be red-zone 3rd and goal (short)?

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Jacobs officially on board to correct serious shortcoming

I was surprised to discover the 49ers ranked 32nd — as in last in the NFL — on third-and-short runs in 2011. San Francisco converted 27.1 percent of their attempts when running on 3rd-and-1 or 3rd-and-2 (here’s the ocular proof, via STATS LLC). In addition,their touchdown percentage (35.3) on runs inside the 3-yard line ranked 27th.

Enter Jacobs, who converted 5 of 7 chances on third-and-short (2 yards or fewer) and was 17 of 24 on all short-yardage situations in 2011, according to Pro Football Focus. He was also 4 of 4 in short yardage in the preseason opener against the Vikings.

The Giants were well below average in blocking in the situations I saw when they used Jacobs in his career as well. I don't want to hear from anybody that in at least half of the attempts I saw that their fails were all or predominately on Jacobs either. You won't get me to believe that.