• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our PAC-12 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the PAC-12?

• Stanford

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Washington

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Oregon

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Washington State

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Arizona

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Utah

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • USC

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Utah

Preview segment: The Utah Utes

Last season: It's official: Utah football is here to stay in the PAC-12! Under the watchful eye of it's coach Kyle Whittingham, the Utes celebrated their first 10-win season in the conference, including rising to as high as #3 in the rankings.
Yet it could have been WAY better for Utah had they not swooned against Arizona and UCLA, which costed them the PAC-12 South. Now they're in rebuilding mode, and back to looking up in their division.

Good news: The D-line is mighty, with Lowell Lotulelei the anchor of the group. The secondary could be strong as well.

Bad news: Oh boy... Time for another edition of the soap-opera known as "As the PAC-12 QB's Turns" (Utah has to replace long-time starter Travis Wilson); Utah's new starting QB is not known. But to me, a more pressing issue is the running game; there are worries about the O-line, and Devontae Booker is no longer at Utah either.

Key games:
9/10 vs. BYU (It's becoming more likely that BYU will join the Big 12 conference [for football, at least]. Arch-rival Utah isn't going to like that. Not one bit.)
9/23 vs. USC (Call me nuts, but I see a low-scoring affair between these two in 2016.)
10/8 vs. Arizona (Utah doesn't hate USC for beating them last year. Arizona, now THAT team Utah hates! As I mentioned earlier, losses to the Wildcats...)
10/22 @ UCLA (...and the Bruins tossed Utah out of the PAC-12 title game.)
11/19 vs. Oregon (Before Utah visits Colorado to end the season, they'll have their Senior Day as they host a Oregon squad they steamrolled 62-20 last year.)

Bottom line: Unlike Stanford and Oregon, there's no big drama at Utah during their rebuilding. And that's good for the Utes; they're not in danger of missing a bowl game, but an almost all-new offense does not bode well for their PAC-12 South chances. 7 to 8 wins may be all Utah gets this year.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colorado

Preview segment: The Colorado Buffaloes

Last season: Things were OK at first in Boulder, Colorado as the Buffaloes started 4-4. But then a hard loss to UCLA started a downward trend as Colorado lost their final 5 games.

Good news: The secondary will be the strength of Colorado's defense, and the WR corps looks good as well. If QB Sefo Liufeu returns to form, he could be a NFL-level QB.

Bad news: That's a BIG if, though; the foot injury he sustained last year was nasty. Meanwhile on defense, stopping the run remains a big issue.

Key games:
9/2 vs. Colorado State [in Denver] (Another classic in this rivalry game is expected. The Rams and Buffaloes have split the last 4 meetings.)
9/17 @ Michigan (A little warning if you want to watch this game: You'll hear about that Charles Woodson "Hail-Mary" quite a lot.)
10/1 vs. Oregon State (All important momentum is on the line for both of these struggling PAC-12 clubs.)
11/3 vs. UCLA (For the last 2 years, Colorado has pushed the Bruins hard. One of these days, the Bruins will finally go down to the Buffaloes.)
11/26 vs. Utah (Same scenario as the above game: Colorado has pushed this team hard, and one day they'll take them out. Hopefully it will be this year.)

Bottom line: Things have gotten better at Colorado (No, really!), but health issues at QB and continued worries on defense could equal another losing season... unless the Buffaloes can steal an upset or two.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't we all get along and say each team is the greatest and all have a shot at the title like our semi educated conference friends?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't we all get along and say each team is the greatest and all have a shot at the title like our semi educated conference friends?
ECIAH.gif

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you think Colorado is the greatest and has a title shot?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you think Colorado is the greatest and has a title shot?

No, but I won't hold hands with Huskies and root for them the way Bama and Auburn fans do. I don't give two shits if a team makes our conference looks better unless it's us. I don't mind rooting for SC since they gave Melvin Simmons a chance to play and I liked him when he went by Champ at WSU until he got beat up by a corner.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but I won't hold hands with Huskies and root for them the way Bama and Auburn fans do. I don't give two shits if a team makes our conference looks better unless it's us. I don't mind rooting for SC since they gave Melvin Simmons a chance to play and I liked him when he went by Champ at WSU until he got beat up by a corner.
But that's exactly what those other fans of other conferences do. :L

They all want to see their rivals fail and then nutswing on the others. You just did that with USC. :whistle:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They all want to see their rivals fail and then nutswing on the others. You just did that with USC. :whistle:
Hey! Leave him alone ,we need all the help we can get this year. Lol

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For three years we saw QB recruit after QB recruit being pimped by our local Duck fans as the next in the line. Don't act like the Ducks didn't have a shot at good QBs, heck even Cal and Oregon State and Washington State have had decent if not good QBs lately. You guys had a Heisman hopeful and eventual winner and didn't capitalize and find a few good ones to follow him. , this is what i mean , lame excuses.
Where exactly was the excuse in what you quoted? You've been saying "USC has had no problem keeping highly rated QB after highly rated QB so why can't Oregon?" You know your program could hire a womanizing drunkard and still...oh wait... My point is comparing the recruiting Uni with the history of SC to one that has just recently gained national attention is stacking the deck and intellectually dishonest.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently Im not supposed to respond to you anymore
We could always just flag him every time he starts off on this bullshit, but then he'd probably cry about that too.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where exactly was the excuse in what you quoted? You've been saying "USC has had no problem keeping highly rated QB after highly rated QB so why can't Oregon?" You know your program could hire a womanizing drunkard and still...oh wait... My point is comparing the recruiting Uni with the history of SC to one that has just recently gained national attention is stacking the deck and intellectually dishonest.
What the fuck are you babbling about?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could always just flag him every time he starts off on this bullshit, but then he'd probably cry about that too.
It's you and Oly who are constantly whining. Funny concidering all the crap some Duck fans spewed for a couple years. It was mostly against Husky fans but still, you cant take a little criticism without getting all butt hurt. Grow a pair instead of running to mommy.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's you and Oly who are constantly whining. Funny concidering all the crap some Duck fans spewed for a couple years. It was mostly against Husky fans but still, you cant take a little criticism without getting all butt hurt. Grow a pair instead of running to mommy.
was never whining nor did I spew on and on the last couple years. Just because others did it doesn't mean all did it. not all Muslims are terrorists and not all black people are criminals. Not all Duck fans are OD or Mamba

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well to be fair he did say 'some duck fans' not OLY and every duck fan. So there's that.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dare you to find me doing anything other than calmly explaining my point of view. You and your opinions have so little relevance in my life that nothing you can say here would ever cause me to be "butthurt".

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I have respect for SC which I explained. I do not mind rooting for them. It's not nutswinging since this was before their great run or when I became a real Coug.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Melvin Simmons. I remember that fool. He tried to bum rush a party at a Wazzu fraternity house, but was denied entry at the door. When he tried to bull his way in, he ended up getting the shit kicked out of him. Broke a bunch of bones in his face and almost died if I remember correctly. Then of course he tried to play the race card following the beatdown. Same exact thing happened to my fraternity back in the day at ASU. So stupid. When the case was dismissed by the police his crybaby parents had him come back home to Compton and transfer to SC. The self proclaimed "Champ." Funny chit. I had forgotten about that douche.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm, well was unaware of that one of it being a fraternity party, I always heard it was a Locker room but I wasn't there yet, but remember liking him playing football the year prior. Well fuck SC then