• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our PAC-12 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the PAC-12?

• Stanford

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Washington

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Oregon

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Washington State

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Arizona

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Utah

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • USC

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the ducks do manage to bounce back and make a run it would be because of Freeman and that would put him on the list at least.

Falk will get talk early particularly if they come out well in those early conference games against Oregon and Stanford, but I'm still worried about his health in that system and missing games could cost his contention even if they keep winning.

If UW actually lives up to the hype they might have a name, but nothing that will reach the top 3 IMO. And it's hard to say which name it would be between Gaskin, Browning, or even Baker (really doubt that last one).

Which ever team takes control in the south is likely to have a name added at some point as well. If Rosen and UCLA shine he's one possibility.

Still, the only way a Pac player wins it is probably if McCaffrey tops last year and Stanford finds their way to the playoffs. The names from the other conferences on that list will be tough to beat.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, thanks for nothing...losah

Where do you see Oregon State finishing? I don't think I've seen a single publication that's had them finishing anywhere but sixth (last) in the North. Maybe they can edge out Cal, but that's about it.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the ducks do manage to bounce back and make a run it would be because of Freeman and that would put him on the list at least.

Falk will get talk early particularly if they come out well in those early conference games against Oregon and Stanford, but I'm still worried about his health in that system and missing games could cost his contention even if they keep winning.

If UW actually lives up to the hype they might have a name, but nothing that will reach the top 3 IMO. And it's hard to say which name it would be between Gaskin, Browning, or even Baker (really doubt that last one).

Which ever team takes control in the south is likely to have a name added at some point as well. If Rosen and UCLA shine he's one possibility.

Still, the only way a Pac player wins it is probably if McCaffrey tops last year and Stanford finds their way to the playoffs. The names from the other conferences on that list will be tough to beat.

I actually think the Ducks defense could be just as bad, if not worse than last year, considering they're replacing 6 out of 7 at the front 7 and transitioning to an entirely new defense scheme with Hoke moving them to a primary 4-3.

Ducks have weapons at RB and WR, and Prukop has plenty of college game experience, even if he wasn't playing for a P5 program. It's that Oline which isn't going to do him any favors.

But yes, the Ducks are going to have to run Freeman to death this year to have any prayer of the north title. 1800-2000 yds kind of year and that won't be easy with that Oline. It's going to make them more predictable than usual.

Still a offense that can put up points, but that defense of theirs will cost them some Ws.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Pac contenders really only come down to McCaffrey and Freeman with Falk a darkhorse. People dont like Leach QBs for that award because they think of them as system QBs that are going to put up numbers no matter what. Thats why TT had none. I think the list is missing some names though along with Freeman like Chubb, Hurd, Cook, Perine, Rosen, Kelly, Mayfield

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Pac contenders really only come down to McCaffrey and Freeman with Falk a darkhorse. People dont like Leach QBs for that award because they think of them as system QBs that are going to put up numbers no matter what. Thats why TT had none. I think the list is missing some names though along with Freeman like Chubb, Hurd, Cook, Perine, Rosen, Kelly, Mayfield
In terms of winning yes, but this was just people who might be on the list at some point. There are names that bust out and make the list every year even if rarely do names not on it at the start of the year end up winning it. As I said, outside of some crazy year by McCaffrey I don't see a Pac player winning it. Doesn't mean some won't be mentioned on it for at least a few weeks.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the Ducks defense could be just as bad, if not worse than last year, considering they're replacing 6 out of 7 at the front 7 and transitioning to an entirely new defense scheme with Hoke moving them to a primary 4-3.

Ducks have weapons at RB and WR, and Prukop has plenty of college game experience, even if he wasn't playing for a P5 program. It's that Oline which isn't going to do him any favors.

But yes, the Ducks are going to have to run Freeman to death this year to have any prayer of the north title. 1800-2000 yds kind of year and that won't be easy with that Oline. It's going to make them more predictable than usual.

Still a offense that can put up points, but that defense of theirs will cost them some Ws.
I honestly think it would be really hard for Oregon to have that bad of a defense again. Im not saying it will be a drastic improvement in year 1 under Hoke but even improving to the 80s or 70s would be big. the funny thing is Oregon still won 9 games with that defense. I cant really say it cost them MSU or even WSU games last year. Utah for sure. and the Alamo Bowl was a colapse on both sides of the ball.

Stop anointing Prukop the starter. Jonsen is still in there.
I dont see the Oline as being that deficient. Crosby and Hunt were starters, Voeller played in all games and started a couple last year, same with Brenner. Also in the mix is transfer Morgan who started for Dayton last year.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think it would be really hard for Oregon to have that bad of a defense again. Im not saying it will be a drastic improvement in year 1 under Hoke but even improving to the 80s or 70s would be big. the funny thing is Oregon still won 9 games with that defense. I cant really say it cost them MSU or even WSU games last year. Utah for sure. and the Alamo Bowl was a colapse on both sides of the ball.

Stop anointing Prukop the starter. Jonsen is still in there.
I dont see the Oline as being that deficient. Crosby and Hunt were starters, Voeller played in all games and started a couple last year, same with Brenner. Also in the mix is transfer Morgan who started for Dayton last year.

You won 9 games last year because Buckner played out of mind good on D. I remember he was the Xfactor of why we lost to you last year. He was harassing Browning all game long. Your pass D was atrocious which was the big reason you had such a poor rating, but that front 7 was loaded with seniors and were able to keep teams honest. Buckner put up a JJ Watt type of impact to the front last year. And I don't throw a Watt performance comparison around lightly. Buckner was an absolute beast last year. Watt 2012 kind of performance.

And Freeman and Adams.

When Adams was healthy, he was an extremely accurate passer. He performed exactly as advertised considering the numbers he put up at EWU.

What I'm saying is Buckner and 5 other members of that front 7 are gone. 4 out your 5 best tacklers are gone.
And so is Adams.
And so is 3/5ths of your Oline which doesn't do Freeman and Griffith any favors.

I think it all adds up this year. I'm not calling a bunch of blowouts like Utah pulled on you last year. But I think you end up with about 7-8 Ws. 3rd to 4th in the north.

But on the flip side, the PAC is sporting a ton of new QBs and that provides your D some big breaks.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only Leach QB who remotely deserves Heisman hype was Harrell. The rest shattered records against horrible teams while never sniffing a conference championship. Only chance anyone has in the conference is if their team is in the playoffs. Had Stanford been in the playoffs it was his easily.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds ambitious. Better get that offense going in a hurry.

I'm always ambitious/optimistic at the beginning of a season...as for the offense, we have a two year starter from Colorado State running the ship now. Kid has a fine arm and should be far more accurate than any of the QBs we had last year. Hope he stays healthy yearlong.

Besides, what's ambitious about beating your boys on our homecourt this year? Sounds like a winner to me.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm always ambitious/optimistic at the beginning of a season...as for the offense, we have a two year starter from Colorado State running the ship now. Kid has a fine arm and should be far more accurate than any of the QBs we had last year. Hope he stays healthy yearlong.

Besides, what's ambitious about beating your boys on our homecourt this year? Sounds like a winner to me.

If you have Oregon State winning four games minimum in the conference then you definitely should like your chances against Boise at home.

I like Garretson. Since I follow the Mountain West, I've seen some of his performances from when he was at Utah State. He's a really good player.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You won 9 games last year because Buckner played out of mind good on D. I remember he was the Xfactor of why we lost to you last year. He was harassing Browning all game long. Your pass D was atrocious which was the big reason you had such a poor rating, but that front 7 was loaded with seniors and were able to keep teams honest. Buckner put up a JJ Watt type of impact to the front last year. And I don't throw a Watt performance comparison around lightly. Buckner was an absolute beast last year. Watt 2012 kind of performance.

And Freeman and Adams.

When Adams was healthy, he was an extremely accurate passer. He performed exactly as advertised considering the numbers he put up at EWU.

What I'm saying is Buckner and 5 other members of that front 7 are gone. 4 out your 5 best tacklers are gone.
And so is Adams.
And so is 3/5ths of your Oline which doesn't do Freeman and Griffith any favors.

I think it all adds up this year. I'm not calling a bunch of blowouts like Utah pulled on you last year. But I think you end up with about 7-8 Ws. 3rd to 4th in the north.

But on the flip side, the PAC is sporting a ton of new QBs and that provides your D some big breaks.
I didnt win any games.
I still see Oregon improving on defense despite losses. Pass defense was weak but should be a strength this season. again not talking top in the country but better. D line im also OK with based on who is going to be in. the LB are the spot im most worried about.
Like I said not worried about O line either. Oregon rotates a lot so the guys coming in saw action. WR and TE are also some of the top in the conference and the country. that too will help that side.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right oly. Oregon is natty bound. As usual.

On a platter.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 OOC Schedules

California – vs. Hawaii(Neutral), @San Diego State, vs. Texas
Oregon – vs. Cal-Davis, vs. Virginia, @Nebraska
Oregon State - @Minnesota, vs. Idaho State, vs. Boise State
Stanford – vs. Kansas State, @Notre Dame, vs. Rice
Washington – vs. Rutgers, vs. Idaho, vs. Portland State
Washington State – vs. Eastern Washington, @Boise State, vs. Idaho

Arizona State – vs. Northern Arizona, vs. Texas Tech, @UTSA
Arizona – vs. BYU(Neutral), vs. Grambling State, vs. Hawaii
Colorado – vs. Colorado State, vs. Idaho State, @Michigan
UCLA - @Texas A&M, vs. UNLV, @BYU
USC – vs. Alabama(Neutral), vs. Utah State, vs. Notre Dame
Utah – vs. Southern Utah, vs. BYU, @San Jose State

P5 Opponents & ND/BYU: 15
FCS Opponents: 8

Projected W/L Record: 31-5
Projected W/L Record vs. P5/ND/BYU: 10-5

Projected losses in Bold

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pac 12 OOC Schedules

California – vs. Hawaii(Neutral), @San Diego State, vs. Texas
Oregon – vs. Cal-Davis, vs. Virginia, @Nebraska
Oregon State - @Minnesota, vs. Idaho State, vs. Boise State
Stanford – vs. Kansas State, @Notre Dame, vs. Rice
Washington – vs. Rutgers, vs. Idaho, vs. Portland State
Washington State – vs. Eastern Washington, @Boise State, vs. Idaho

Arizona State – vs. Northern Arizona, vs. Texas Tech, @UTSA
Arizona – vs. BYU(Neutral), vs. Grambling State, vs. Hawaii
Colorado – vs. Colorado State, vs. Idaho State, @Michigan
UCLA - @Texas A&M, vs. UNLV, @BYU
USC – vs. Alabama(Neutral), vs. Utah State, vs. Notre Dame
Utah – vs. Southern Utah, vs. BYU, @San Jose State

P5 Opponents & ND/BYU: 15
FCS Opponents: 8

Projected W/L Record: 31-5
Projected W/L Record vs. P5/ND/BYU: 10-5

Projected losses in Bold

Not bad, although I don't see Cal beating San Diego State on the road even though SDSU's track record against Power 5s has been terrible. I also doubt Oregon State beats Boise, but they are at home so it could happen I suppose. ASU better be careful against Texas Tech. I could see them losing that game.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right oly. Oregon is natty bound. As usual.

On a platter.
1 No where in any post about this season have I even come close to saying anything like that.
2 no where in any post at any time about any season have I ever said natty or anything on a platter. EVER