• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our PAC-12 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the PAC-12?

• Stanford

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • Washington

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Oregon

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Washington State

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Arizona

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Utah

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • USC

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't have said it if I hadn't heard it or read it

There was plenty of SC fans talking about taking over the PAC back in 2014. Had plenty of banter with them. But that was then this is now. The two SC guys are correct about the Ducks QB situation. If Oregon is suppose to be elite -- that position should not have had the huge let down after MM. Hopefully 2015 & 2016 are the only years the program is scrambling for top notch talent at that position. I was so upset after the Alamo Bowl I said I was going to take the off season off. I started getting my juices back and then watched the replay of ASU/UO game on ESPN and put me into another funk watching how bad the defense was. It was amazing they were only 1 game out of winning the PAC. Yes I know all about the Adams situation, but sheece. If Oregon is going to be a top 10 team year in year out, defense cannot be that awful and they need a better plan at the most important position on the field. Think they will need some smoke in mirrors this year to win the North. Let's see if Helfrich can coach????

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon hasn't done a great job of developing QBS in recent years. With that said, there were multiple highly touted QBS signed with Oregon that transferred out when they saw that Mariota was going to be a 3 year starter.

So they recruited kids who didn't like competion. That still falls under not recruiting and developling the right kids. Oregon has been winning , they had a Heisman QB yet they couldn't fine one QB in the past three years good enough to just start? Marcus junior year you'd think they would have their pick of their type of QB but here we are two years after Marcus left and it's possible Oregon Starts another renta QB.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they recruited kids who didn't like competion. That still falls under not recruiting and developling the right kids. Oregon has been winning , they had a Heisman QB yet they couldn't fine one QB in the past three years good enough to just start? Marcus junior year you'd think they would have their pick of their type of QB but here we are two years after Marcus left and it's possible Oregon Starts another renta QB.
Not liking competition and not winning the job so therefore deciding to leave are 2 different things.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did and do have QB's good enough to start, Adams was better. this year its still to be determined.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not liking competition and not winning the job so therefore deciding to leave are 2 different things.[/QUOTE

So they thought they would win the job over Marcus who was already there? lol. Yeah ok.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did and do have QB's good enough to start, Adams was better. this year its still to be determined.

yeah? where are those QBs good enough to start when adams was there? Wouldn't you not need a rental this year if that were true?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah? where are those QBs good enough to start when adams was there? Wouldn't you not need a rental this year if that were true?
for the hundredth time Lockie started and won a couple. Jonsen was hurt. that's where

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the hundredth time Lockie started and won a couple. Jonsen was hurt. that's where
So one who you had to play because of injury and another whos never started a game. That's what you have in the barn after the luxury of having a Heisman QB starter for three years? Your coaching staff has been so enamoured with the QBs there they went out and got a rental QB for a second straight year. You'd think after coming up with excuses for the hundredth reply you'd see how fucked your QB recruiting and development has been.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon has had 1 Heisman QB and done fine with others who did not win it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, you all planning on turning this entire thread into a duck QB circle jerk just like the official Pac12 thread? :whistle:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, you all planning on turning this entire thread into a duck QB circle jerk just like the official Pac12 thread? :whistle:

Back to the main topic. I think Stanford is still the top team in the North and the south is still too unpredictable. I think Stanford takes the PAC again.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington State

Preview segment: The Washington State Cougars

Last season: Whoa... This whole "Oregon QB issue" thing REALLY touched a nerve with you guys if this thread is any indication. And I got this feeling it'll continue when I look at teams like Utah, Stanford, Cal, and Arizona State.
Washington State is not one of those teams; their QB Luke Falk is still here and ready to challenge for the PAC-12 title game. And if Mike Leach can shake off an opening loss to Portland State and get his team an 9-4 record last year, he can do anything.

Good news: Also with Falk is his usual array of strong WR's, but be forewarned: The Cougars may actually have a RUNNING game this year (as the RB spot is deep as well)! The defense is looking to make another leap forward...

Bad news: ...but it will NOT be easy, as the D-line is Wazzu's biggest area of concern. The left side of the O-line must be rebuilt, and special teams could use more attention from the coaching staff.

Key games:
9/10 @ Boise State (After [hopefully] dealing with Eastern Washington, Wazzu hopes to help out the PAC-12 by throwing Boise State out of the "New Year's Six" office pool.)
10/1 vs. Oregon (Last year, Leach and Falk conquered Autzen Stadium with a 45-38 double-OT win. And the rematch will be in Pullman.)
10/8 @ Stanford (By this time, Stanford should have a starting QB all set for this contest. Remember that, Mr. Leach.)
10/15 vs. UCLA (The good news is, if Wazzu beats Stanford, then maybe College Gameday will FINALLY come to Pullman when UCLA and Josh Rosen come over for a QB battle.)
11/25 vs. Washington (In last year's "Apple Cup", the Huskies had to upset the Cougars just to make a bowl game. This year, the "Apple Cup" may decide the PAC-12 North.)

Bottom line: There are a few holes to fill, but it's nothing a good coaching staff can't fix. If the defense continues to improve, Luke Falk will handle the rest and get Washington State back into the Top 25 this year. Those games against Oregon and Stanford will decide if Wazzu goes to Santa Clara in 2016.
In addition to their questions on the defense, no team in the pac and probably few in the country have their QB's taking so many hits. They have had some injury problems at QB ever since Leach got there and they are always just one major hit away from their next in line and I'm not sure they can be the same threat Falk is. Sure, every team has to worry about their QB going down, but the likelihood for Falk losing time is higher than everyone else due to the style of offense they run.

Their schedule sets up well for a deep run. If they can't find a way to get to 10 wins this year I'm not sure they ever will.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to their questions on the defense, no team in the pac and probably few in the country have their QB's taking so many hits. They have had some injury problems at QB ever since Leach got there and they are always just one major hit away from their next in line and I'm not sure they can be the same threat Falk is. Sure, every team has to worry about their QB going down, but the likelihood for Falk losing time is higher than everyone else due to the style of offense they run.

Their schedule sets up well for a deep run. If they can't find a way to get to 10 wins this year I'm not sure they ever will.

Not exactly fair to put that on shitty Mike Leach
Halliday broke his leg and you can't exactly teach a quarterback how to fall down. Neither of Luke Falk's concussion had to with the o line. Neither were a hit 99% of quarterbacks would've got a concussion. When he gives up on fighting he falls down like a statue, so doubtful he finishes the season without at least one concussion but good news is Helsinki was good enough to get Bender out of there.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you just responded to a post you didn't read? :scratch:
Yes, I saw he started to talk about Oregon QBs in yet another thread and asked him to stop. There was no need to read further as his narrative hasn't moved a nanometer in the past 5-6 months.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah . He responded more times, telling me he won't read my post ,more times than I posted.lol
Gotta love the way they stick their heads in the sand. It's like getting two flats, having no spare , looking you straight in the face and telling you they don't have a tire problem.
I've never said the program doesn't have a problem. Imo it's still too early to make a solid assessment it's been ONE year since Mariota went pro. If Jonsen turns out to be bust THEN your opinion will be much more valid.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly fair to put that on shitty Mike Leach
Halliday broke his leg and you can't exactly teach a quarterback how to fall down. Neither of Luke Falk's concussion had to with the o line. Neither were a hit 99% of quarterbacks would've got a concussion. When he gives up on fighting he falls down like a statue, so doubtful he finishes the season without at least one concussion but good news is Helsinki was good enough to get Bender out of there.
I didn't really assign blame. No one has more pissing plays. That alone leaves questions about staying healthy

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't really assign blame. No one has more pissing plays. That alone leaves questions about staying healthy

I know, it's not even just the volume of passing it's that Falk doesn't know how to fall down. Not sure how that's taught but bracing your fall with your head isn't the textbook way to do it.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how my phone turned passing into pissing. Fitting given we were taking about the cougs.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arizona State

Preview segment: The Arizona State Sun Devils

Last season: Oh god... This whole thread is starting to devolve into a circle-jerk about quarterbacks. First I kicked a hornet's nest with Oregon, then we get into a pissing match about Luke Falk.
So I'm really scared about what could happen with Arizona State; after a VERY disappointing 6-7 season that saw it's pass defense go to s--t, things aren't looking good in Tempe right now.

Bad news: The secondary remains a work in progress, and the O-line will have growing pains as it lost 4 starters from 2015. Even worse, according to it's own media-resources department ASU doesn't have a QB that has thrown one single pass in the FBS.

Good news: But it's not completely hopeless for ASU's offense; the running game could have two 1,000 yard rushers in the backfield. Special teams are very strong, with K Zach Gonzalez possibly NFL-bound.

Key games:
9/3 vs. Northern Arizona, and 9/10 vs. Texas Tech (The former game will help that new offense get going. The latter will be the offense's first big test as it'll try to keep up with the Red Raiders.)
10/8 vs. UCLA (Defeating then-#7 UCLA in Pasadena should have saved the Sun Devil's 2015 season.)
10/29 @ Oregon (Instead, ASU's secondary melted down. And it costed them a classic against Oregon 61-55 last year.)
11/25 @ Arizona (Dowsing Arizona's dreams is always fun to do if you're a Sun Devil fan.)

Bottom line: Sorry if I sound cynical, but I picked Arizona State to win the South division last year. And the reason why they've let me down (that porous defense) is still in Tempe, so no, ASU won't challenge for the South this year.
However, if that defense shows improvement and the offense doesn't let us down, a bowl trip is still in the cards.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford

Preview segment: The Stanford Cardinal

Last season: How big was the discovery of Christian McCaffrey for Stanford? With his help and Kevin Hogan's steady hand, the Cardinal went 12-2 in 2015. That season included Stanford's 3rd PAC-12 title in 4 years, and it's 2nd Rose Bowl win in the David Shaw era.
So you'd assume that with McCaffrey, Stanford will just bowl over the rest of the conference, right? Well...

Bad news: Once again, a PAC-12 team is rebuilding at QB (more on this later). But to me, the biggest worry for Stanford is it's lines; the O-line must replace some important pieces from last year's squad, and so must the D-line.

Good news: However, that D-line DOES have some all-conference talent. Plus, tt's not just McCaffrey at the skill positions; WR's Trent Irwin and Michael Rector are fast playmakers. And much like Arizona State, Stanford has a strong special teams unit.

2016 X-factor: The Kansas State game- QB's Keller Chryst and Ryan Burns are currently slugging it out to be Stanford's head QB entering the season. But I'll bet that coach Shaw plays both of them during their opener against K-State, and it'll be fun to see whoever does the best there.
And hopefully, a clear-cut starter will emerge...

Key games: ...because the schedule is HARD, especially at the beginning of the year. It's probably best if I just show you Stanford's first 6 games, and you'll see what I mean:
9/2 vs. Kansas State (Already mentioned this one.)
9/17 vs. USC (Southern Cal will also be breaking in a new QB this season.)
9/24 @ UCLA (Here's where things get REALLY hard; after playing USC, the Cardinal must turn around and deal with Josh Rosen.)
9/30 @ Washington (Then, they must travel to Seattle for a Friday night game where Washington could steal their thunder in the PAC-12 North...)
10/8 vs. Washington State (...right before Stanford deals with high-flying Wazzu.)
10/15 @ Notre Dame (And finally, it's the Fighting Irish. Expect another grand fight here.)
11/12 @ Oregon (Whoops, can't forget this one.)

Bottom line: If anyone can navigate Stanford through this tough slate with their dreams still intact, it's David Shaw. Don't be surprised if the Cardinal finds a way to keep winning, but hopefully a QB will emerge so McCaffrey doesn't have to do it on his own.