• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our First College Football Draft : CHAT

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way I’m good. I probably have some overrated NFL names on my team but I got a lot of guys I’ve never heard of before so that’s gotta be good too right.

I crushed this draft and gonna take my first round L and be happy lol.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I was 4 at the time you probably have me scooped on this one

He would have gone earlier but he ran like a 4.7 and it scared some teams... Those first 15 teams that year are probably pretty happy they passed on him because he didn't go to an approved school.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you’re getting caught up here. All you see is NFL and keep concentrating on that like I’m trying to compare it. All I’m saying is you are delegitimizing the accomplishments of some players because you don’t deem their college careers worth enough. Well there is a baseline set that says regardless of conference or competition level, if you balled, you balled.

So holding it against a player of what they accomplished, in college, because of competition level is splitting hairs. This is a college draft and players should be viewed for what they did in college. Unless they didn’t play in a conference you think they should have to qualify.
Thats where I think there is confusion. When looking at players I can see a clear line between the two. When I'm voting players will be based on their college careers alone. And I will be looking at systems and personel fits etc. Thats the beauty in college football. Its a completely different world

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would have gone earlier but he ran like a 4.7 and it scared some teams... Those first 15 teams that year are probably pretty happy they passed on him because he didn't go to an approved school.

That's pretty slow for a wideout so I can see their concern.

Mo Clarett ran that (may have even been a 4.8) and it totally destroyed what remained of his draft stock (not that him being insane wouldn't have shown up later anyway.)

I'm not old enough to know the hype on Jerry like i can say for certain that Marshall team with Moss was in some ways bigger than UCF because everyone knew Moss was THAT talented.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty slow for a wideout so I can see their concern.

Mo Clarett ran that (may have even been a 4.8) and it totally destroyed what remained of his draft stock (not that him being insane wouldn't have shown up later anyway.)

I'm not old enough to know the hype on Jerry like i can say for certain that Marshall team with Moss was in some ways bigger than UCF because everyone knew Moss was THAT talented.

Moss was was a freak and anyone who seen him play in college, whether it was you, me, coaches, the media, announcers, farm animals, blow up dolls they seen the talent this guy had and if he wasn't a complete head case he would have gone top 3 without question despite the school he went to.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anywho either way Rice is a beast. He's one it's going to be hard to ignore how great he was at the next level. He is included on the 75th anniversary team deal they did and obviously we know he probably doesn't make an appearance if he did not put up surreal NFL numbers.

Like I said earlier though appreciate the invite this board is a nice spot to chat on sports. And I haven't been called a retard or a ghey yet in this forum so that's a plus.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anywho either way Rice is a beast. He's one it's going to be hard to ignore how great he was at the next level. He is included on the 75th anniversary team deal they did and obviously we know he probably doesn't make an appearance if he did not put up surreal NFL numbers.

Like I said earlier though appreciate the invite this board is a nice spot to chat on sports. And I haven't been called a retard or a ghey yet in this forum so that's a plus.

Ghey

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moss was was a freak and anyone who seen him play in college, whether it was you, me, coaches, the media, announcers, farm animals, blow up dolls they seen the talent this guy had and if he wasn't a complete head case he would have gone top 3 without question despite the school he went to.
Malikia Griffin and Broc Kreitz

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely get your mindset but let's flip sports and say Christian Laetner as opposed to Karl Anthony Towns

Sure Towns is the better pro but Laetner is an all time college basketball player. Now I will give you it's different with the one and done....ugh maybe I should choose a different analogy lol

Can't go any further than draft slot imo. I think I can see value in draft slot but you can't go further than that imo

Jerry Rice was a mid first round pick (not to pick on Jerry) Keyshawn was the top pick overall (yes again stumping for my team shamelessly)
I'm a huge UK Hoops fan and can't stand the Dukies, but if it's a college draft, it's The Big White Flop over my man KAT

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a huge UK Hoops fan and can't stand the Dukies, but if it's a college draft, it's The Big White Flop over my man KAT

If I was mean I'd play a certain gif but I won't do that to ya lol

Hall

Hoopla Cash
$ 128,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's where it is tough to analyze. It's hard to separate out the NFL successes as opposed to college. If we are talking QB obviously VY and Tebow are big time college QBs (yes stumping for my guy) but total busts in the pros. Your guy Ward a perfect example also.

Tebow and Ward and Vince obviously college goats.

I think while he seems dedicated to football as he says he is missing the point that I understand these players skill sets and that's what I drafted them for.

I drafted Moss over Larry not because I only think he was as good a receiver. I fully accept anyone thinking larry was better in college. But because I wanted a 6'4 guy who could run as fast as anyone.

I not only wanted a All Amerifan and Outland Finalist when I took Roaf, I also wanted a hyper athletic Left Tackle to do some creative things with pulling for Marcus and Marshall.

I specifically picked Marcus Allen over the likes of Ricky Williams not 100% because I believe he is that much better than Ricky in college but Marcus played Full Back for Charles White and I thought he could do similar things for Faulk who while going to San Diego St finished in the Heisman top 10 vote 3 times.

I'm drafting then for their skills not just their accomplishments.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the looks of it, nobody else needs a guard, can I just make my last pick?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow and Ward and Vince obviously college goats.
Honestly with the QB's that have passed through college football. I think you may be over rating some of these QB's just a tad. There were better picked than Ward

I think while he seems dedicated to football as he says he is missing the point that I understand these players skill sets and that's what I drafted them for.

drafted Moss over Larry not because I only think he was as good a receiver. I fully accept anyone thinking larry was better in college. But because I wanted a 6'4 guy who could run as fast as anyone.
Moss had one good year while playing at a decent level. And never was able to win the big game. When facing higher competition he was inevitably shut down by Malikia Griffin and stripped of the ball by Broc Kreitz when it mattered most. This comes across as a combine style pick. There are actually better 6'4 speed WR's on other teams who had far more accomplished college careers. Honestly Blackmon and Crabtree were 2 of many better college WR's than both

not only wanted a All Amerifan and Outland Finalist when I took Roaf, I also wanted a hyper athletic Left Tackle to do some creative things with pulling for Marcus and Marshall.
Anyone that watches college football knows Roaf was a stretch and AA on a lower tier team is quite common. If you need to use a combine style stance to "justify" a pick. That should tell you all you need to know. This is a college draft not an NFL prospect draft.
specifically picked Marcus Allen over the likes of Ricky Williams not 100% because I believe he is that much better than Ricky in college but Marcus played Full Back for Charles White and I thought he could do similar things for Faulk who while going to San Diego St finished in the Heisman top 10 vote 3 times.

I'm drafting then for their skills not just their accomplishments.

This was another head scratcher pick. As an SC fan taking Allen as a FB is counter productive. SC ran student body left out of the I. FB was not his strong suit. And I didnt select him because Allen needed a FB while at SC. Faulk and Allen is a bad mix no power running game. And again his is not an MFL combine draft.

Tbh I was mimicking your style with the narratives because I want this to stay pure to a college draft and not a NFL prospect draft.And sway away from the politics come voting.

Constructive criticism

System wise your offense is counter productive. And IRL would struggle against a legit defense. And would be completely shut down against a 5-2 base defense with a 2-4-5 nickel sub package

The shifts and looks from the Dlin/LBs are going to give your Oline and QB problems.Especially the blitz packages. The LB's are going to close the gaps as its intended.While playing contain and pushing everything outside. And an instinctive safety that plays closer to the box. Is going to cause further problems in both the run and pass game. Wouldnt matter what WR's you chose. IRL your system isn't moving the ball in the college game.

Wouldn't have gone with a rover on D. LB is your weakest spot. And I see that being exploited by some of these offenses.

Not trying to be critical just being honest.But college football has been religion to me closing in on 39 years.

Last edited:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly with the QB's that have passed through college football. I think you may be over rating some of these QB's just a tad. There were better picked than Ward

Moss had one good year while playing at a decent level. And never was able to win the big game. When facing higher competition he was inevitably shut down by Malikia Griffin and stripped of the ball by Broc Kreitz when it mattered most. This comes across as a combine style pick. There are actually better 6'4 speed WR's on other teams who had far more accomplished college careers. Honestly Blackmon and Crabtree were 2 of many better college WR's than both

Anyone that watches college football knows Roaf was a stretch and AA on a lower tier team is quite common. If you need to use a combine style stance on a pick. That should tell you all you need to know. This is a college draft not an NFL prospect draft.

This was another head scratcher pick. As an SC fan taking Allen as a FB is counter productive. SC ran student body left out of the I. FB was not his strong suit. And I didnt select him because Allen needed a FB while at SC. Faulk and Allen is a bad mix no power running game. And again his is not an MFL combine draft.

Tbh I was mimicking your style with the narratives because I want this to stay pure to a college draft and not a NFL prospect draft.And sway away from the politics come voting.

Constructive criticism

System wise your offense is counter productive. And IRL would struggle against a legit defense. And would be completely shut down against a 5-2 base defense with a 2-4-5 nickel sub package

The shifts and looks from the Dlin/LBs are going to give your Oline and QB problems.Especially the blitz packages. The LB's are going to close the gaps as its intended.While playing contain and pushing everything outside. And an instinctive safety that plays closer to the box. Is going to cause further problems in both the run and pass game. Wouldnt matter what WR's you chose. IRL your system isn't moving the ball in the college game.

Wouldn't have gone with a rover on D. LB is your weakest spot. And I see that being exploited by some of these offenses.

Not trying to be critical just being honest.But college football has been religion to me closing in on 39 years.

here is the other problem I see... I cant imagine College style football would be played by our teams... our teams are better than NFL teams... Defenses are too fast, offenses are too good... So I think the style of football that would be played in our MOCK college draft is closer to a PRO style game... And for that reason, some picks despite their college accomplishments, are not as great as they sound... Which is also why looking at the REAL NFL DRAFTS is such a significant part of this mock... If no team had confidence in a player having NFL success for other than health reasons, then why would they be good in this mock??

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is the other problem I see... I cant imagine College style football would be played by our teams... our teams are better than NFL teams... Defenses are too fast, offenses are too good... So I think the style of football that would be played in our MOCK college draft is closer to a PRO style game... And for that reason, some picks despite their college accomplishments, are not as great as they sound... Which is also why looking at the REAL NFL DRAFTS is such a significant part of this mock... If no team had confidence in a player having NFL success for other than health reasons, then why would they be good in this mock??
NFL teams are using more college systems every year.This wouldn't be college football tho and this is a college football draft Don't cross the streams imo. Keep it pure to college

giphy.gif

If we're drafting based on combine skills rather than college careers. We could have just drafted The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin both played College football.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL teams are using more college systems every year.This wouldn't be college football tho and this is a college football draft Don't cross the streams imo. Keep it pure to college

giphy.gif

If we're drafting based on combine skills rather than college careers. We could have just drafted The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin both played College football.

but we do it in baseball all the time... it is like how nobody trusts pre 1900 players, and we avoid all but the biggest names of players before the 1930s...

if we just based it on numbers, then we would be saying some of these players are so much better than they were... But the numbers are not all trustworthy... and size of players matter too... Just ask all 5'7 draftee last baseball draft...

basketball we do it too, we avoid the ABA players like a plague...

NFL drafts we do it too, we avoid most of the players who played before 1960s...

Why?? because we just don't believe due to size or whatever aspect, that they are as good as other players... and we cant ONLY base it on numbers, due to weaker competition or whatever...

What is nice about the college football draft, is that we can quantify these players BETTER because there were smarter people than any of us analyzing these players too...

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay let’s drop it already. Make our finals picks and let the playoffs start. Please

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but we do it in baseball all the time... it is like how nobody trusts pre 1900 players, and we avoid all but the biggest names of players before the 1930s...

if we just based it on numbers, then we would be saying some of these players are so much better than they were... But the numbers are not all trustworthy... and size of players matter too... Just ask all 5'7 draftee last baseball draft...

basketball we do it too, we avoid the ABA players like a plague...

NFL drafts we do it too, we avoid most of the players who played before 1960s...

Why?? because we just don't believe due to size or whatever aspect, that they are as good as other players... and we cant ONLY base it on numbers, due to weaker competition or whatever...

What is nice about the college football draft, is that we can quantify these players BETTER because there were smarter people than any of us analyzing these players too...
So in this scenario and FCS player would be the equivalent of John Elway in an NFL draft.

I just broke it down from a college football standpoint. Corrected some facts. And explained how that would actually play out.