• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our First College Football Draft : CHAT

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to pretend to know baseball or basketball. But college football is religion to me. I know the dynamics of the sport including FCS being a Sub Division. The players that have been picked etc....You will never see the Hershey Bears play for a Stanley Cup. For the same reason you will not see The Citadel play for a National Championship minor leagues

So, you got nothing... :thumb:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But umm isn’t the purpose of playing well to be drafted by the NFL? So by that standard if a player from a small school, is deemed worthy of a first round pick by an NFL team, you don’t think their entire scouting department felt like his collegiate career was legitimate, despite the competition he played against? How he turned out on the pros is correctly irrelevant but players being a legitimate NFL prospect and/or drafted highly is a strong indicator of the talent and production of said player at the collegiate level.

I just feel like if NFL teams can draft players from lower conferences and competition levels, we should be able to also individually assess the players as well. Or at least that should be the goal.
NFL would be a combine draft format. I'm looking at college careers. If we are basing our judgements on NFL this would not be a college draft

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL would be a combine draft format. I'm looking at college careers. If we are basing our judgements on NFL this would not be a college draft
I think we should pretend their NFL careers never happened. When the playoffs begin, you can't argue ''well, look at what he did in the NFL''....that never happened. Their college career, then, off to a factory job

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you’re too focused on the word
NFL. In other words an independent agency that continually assesses the best collegiate athletes determines that school/competition doesn’t matter. If your production is there you’re highly graded. Wouldn’t you say that carries any weight?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you’re too focused on the word
NFL. In other words an independent agency that continually assesses the best collegiate athletes determines that school/competition doesn’t matter. If your production is there you’re highly graded. Wouldn’t you say that carries any weight?
I think UK just said it best focus on the actual college careers and players

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should pretend their NFL careers never happened. When the playoffs begin, you can't argue ''well, look at what he did in the NFL''....that never happened. Their college career, then, off to a factory job

I think that’s what we’re trying to do. However it seems that some players are not good based on their numbers being put up in different competition levels. The NFL stuff is just to establish a baseline that players from lower schools shouldn’t be discounted because it’s evident they were absolute talented and up there with the best collegiate players.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think UK just said it best focus on the actual college careers and players
And I absolutely agree with him. I just find it riducous you’re now adding qualifiers as to what a “good” player consists of.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL stuff is just to establish a baseline that players from lower schools shouldn’t be discounted because it’s evident they were absolutely talented and up there with the best collegiate players.

Hammernail.gif~c200

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I absolutely agree with him. I just find it riducous you’re now adding qualifiers as to what a “good” player consists of.
Not so much adding qualifiers. More so defining the lines. Its easy to get caught up in an "NFL" name or say insert player was a freak athlete etc...But that does not define their college career. In some cases its like taking Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. In an NCAA college basketball draft. Amazing athletes and pro careers......All i'm saying is don't get distracted by some of the names. They were no the same players in college. While others thrived at extremely high levels

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so much adding qualifiers. More so defining the lines. Its easy to get caught up in an "NFL" name or say insert player was a freak athlete etc...But that does not define their college career. In some cases its like taking Lebron James or Kobe Bryant. In an NCAA college basketball draft. Amazing athletes and pro careers......All i'm saying is don't get distracted by some of the names. They were no the same players in college. While others thrived at extremely high levels

You are clearly not listening.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using NFL stuff to establish baseline would be NFL.. Like UK said NFL name brand is useless. College careers and accomplishments are what matter here

Who are you and what have you done with my friend?!?!

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But umm isn’t the purpose of playing well to be drafted by the NFL? So by that standard if a player from a small school, is deemed worthy of a first round pick by an NFL team, you don’t think their entire scouting department felt like his collegiate career was legitimate, despite the competition he played against? How he turned out on the pros is correctly irrelevant but players being a legitimate NFL prospect and/or drafted highly is a strong indicator of the talent and production of said player at the collegiate level.

I just feel like if NFL teams can draft players from lower conferences and competition levels, we should be able to also individually assess the players as well. Or at least that should be the goal.

I definitely get your mindset but let's flip sports and say Christian Laetner as opposed to Karl Anthony Towns

Sure Towns is the better pro but Laetner is an all time college basketball player. Now I will give you it's different with the one and done....ugh maybe I should choose a different analogy lol

Can't go any further than draft slot imo. I think I can see value in draft slot but you can't go further than that imo

Jerry Rice was a mid first round pick (not to pick on Jerry) Keyshawn was the top pick overall (yes again stumping for my team shamelessly)

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are you and what have you done with my friend?!?!

Hate to see anyone truly get upset about this. In the end it's just a mock draft. And with so many years covered I bet we would all do it differently seeing the full range of players and even those we forgot about

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using NFL stuff to establish baseline would be NFL.. Like UK said NFL name brand is useless. College careers and accomplishments are what matter here
I think you’re getting caught up here. All you see is NFL and keep concentrating on that like I’m trying to compare it. All I’m saying is you are delegitimizing the accomplishments of some players because you don’t deem their college careers worth enough. Well there is a baseline set that says regardless of conference or competition level, if you balled, you balled.

So holding it against a player of what they accomplished, in college, because of competition level is splitting hairs. This is a college draft and players should be viewed for what they did in college. Unless they didn’t play in a conference you think they should have to qualify.