• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Big 10 preview thread 2016

Who do YOU think will win the Big 10?

• Iowa

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Michigan State

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ohio State

Votes: 24 52.2%
  • Michigan

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Northwestern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northwestern

Preview segment: The Northwestern Wildcats

Last season: In last year's preview thread, I said that Northwestern may struggle to reach 6 wins. Well, it only took Northwestern upsetting Stanford to blow that prediction out of the water. And with a excellent defense gilding them, the Wildcats had a rare 10-win season. Now some folks are predicting that the Wildcats can do it again.
I am not one of those people.

2016 X-factor: Handling expectations- Over the past 20 years, Northwestern has been like that old stock-market adage: "Buy low, sell high". Once the expectations shoot up, the Wildcats tend to falter (much like the 2013 season), but let's see if that defense can help the team keep it's cool.

Good news: That defense has a NASTY line, with Anthony Walker the one to watch. With that and a good secondary, expect another Top-20 unit in Evanston. The O-line returns 3 starters...

Bad news: ...which will help out a offense that ranked 115th last year. In particular, the WR's has to do a better job in giving Clayton Thorson help in the passing game. Oh, and lowering the carries RB Justin Jackson will get wouldn't hurt, neither.

Key games:
9/24 vs. Nebraska (A LOT of early momentum in the Big 10 is on the line here. And don't forget this tidbit: When Northwestern got punched out by Michigan and Iowa last year, guess who they beat to reverse their fortunes? The Cornhuskers.)
10/1 @ Iowa (Speaking of Iowa, I'm expecting a low-scoring slug-fest to develop when the Wildcats come to Iowa City.)
10/22 vs. Indiana (If this game doesn't look too appealing to you, consider this: This game is sandwiched in-between road trips to both Michigan State and Ohio State.)
11/5 vs. Wisconsin (And then after THAT, the Badgers will come to visit Ryan Field.)
11/26 vs. Illinois (Sadly for the Illini, all of that will sharpen the Wildcats's teeth for this season finale.)

Bottom line: Look. Northwestern will be fine in 2016, but recent history suggests that they'll melt in their quest for the Big 10 title. However, if the passing game shows good improvement, the Wildcats can surprise people... like they did last year.

Locke888

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio state has to replace a lot of talent. That talent underperformed last year because they thought they just had to show up. This new group of starters are highly rated recruits and individually they each will have something to prove. So I expect them to play well. We have a great qb coming back. If he can get on track early I will not be surprised to see the Bucks beat OU.

OSU wins the BIG.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdue

Preview segment: The Purdue Boilermakers

Last season: You know something, folks? Whilst I was re-reading my Northwestern post, I've realized that I've been way too negative on this thread. So for today, I'm only going to be thinking on the positive side!
And Purdue will be a perfect test; they're off a bad 2-10 season, and those guys don't need any more negativity in the program.

Good news: 16 starters return in all, including a RB (Markell Jones) that'll help the offense improve. The defensive line should not be underestimated; it has talent and experience.

Bad news: Uhhh... The secondary needs to do a better job, and the O-line shouldn't be discouraged despite it being young.

Key games:
9/10 vs. Cincinnati (Momentum is key if you want to turn a program around, and stopping a team like Cincinnati will help Purdue out.)
10/1 @ Maryland, and 10/8 @ Illinois (It would be huge for Purdue if they can steal a road win from one of these rebuilding teams in the Big 10.)
10/22 @ Nebraska (Oooo... Don't get down, Purdue! You DID beat the Huskers last year!)
11/19 vs. Wisconsin (Uhhhhhh... Maybe Purdue can catch Wisconsin looking ahead to Minnesota here.)

Bottom line: ...That was harder than I thought; it really doesn't look good for Purdue as a lack of talent could bury them in the Big 10 West. But, stay positive, Boilermakers! At the very least, you'll have a new head coach come next season!

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan

Preview segment: The Michigan Wolverines

Last season: My god... I didn't think it would get this good in Ann Arbor this quickly. Aside from one game (more on that later), Michigan was a beast! And had it not been for a great Utah team and that glitch against the Spartans, they could have went 12-1 in 2015!
...Okay, enough about 2015; Mr. Harbaugh has already forgotten about it, and wants a national title in his 2nd year.

Bad news: Most likely the biggest worry in Ann Arbor is the quarterback/center exchange; center Graham Glasgow is gone and the starting QB for 2016 is not known. Also, all of their hard games are on the road.

Good news: ...That's about it for the bad news. A LOT of talent is at the skill positions, and the defense will be strong with Jabrill Peppers the one to watch. And as for that QB mess, Michigan has games against Hawaii and UCF to solve that problem.

Key games:
9/17 vs. Colorado (Colorado will be better than you think, so hopefully Michigan has a starting QB figured out before this game.)
10/1 vs. Wisconsin (This game [and Penn State the week before] will be the first true test that the hype-drunk Wolverines will have.)
10/29 @ Michigan State (Like I said earlier, all of Michigan's hard games are away from Ann Arbor. For this one, just know that Michigan's new punter will be put through hell.)
11/12 @ Iowa (This is a tricky spot for Jim Harbaugh. Here, he must keep the happy times rolling while preventing Iowa from doing the same thing.)
11/26 @ Ohio State (Last year this game ended with OSU winning 42-13. In Ann Arbor.)

Bottom line: You know what? I'm jumping on the Michigan bandwagon for the 2016 season, and I don't care what you guys say. If Mr. Harbaugh fixes his QB mess (and he will), a strong supporting cast will do the rest as Michigan goes to Indianapolis and wins the Big 10.
P.S. to Harbaugh: You WILL have to beat Ohio State to make it happen.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State is currently only a 3 point favorite at Wisconsin.
I'll bet that changes significantly by the time they play. I hope not, but I'd bet it will.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for it being an in-conference game, in Wisconsin, yeah that's a pretty heavy favorite. Like I said, if we beat OU, I think it'll be 10.
I may be the only one that thinks this, but I think you guys win in Norman. Stoops' teams have a history of not doing as well when expected to do so. I see them struggling. For the Big 12's sake, I hope not because that is really the only contender I see. But my vision gets blurred when looking through the bottom of a Gentleman Jack bottle.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny coming from an Iowa fan. Not you in particular, but a lot of the Iowa fans around here have been acting like the last two games of last season never happened.

Considering there are only about 3 or 4 Hawkeye fans left on the site and if you aren't referring to rmillia, who are the Iowa fans around here that act as if the last 2 games last season didn't happen?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering there are only about 3 or 4 Hawkeye fans left on the site and if you aren't referring to rmillia, who are the Iowa fans around here that act as if the last 2 games last season didn't happen?
No I mean in Omaha. Like real life :lol:

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, gotcha. I think Omaha might do that to people
It's absolutely incredible how many people all of a sudden have been huge Iowa fans for years. See lots of brand new looking license plate frames, car stickers, etc. driving around town.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's absolutely incredible how many people all of a sudden have been huge Iowa fans for years. See lots of brand new looking license plate frames, car stickers, etc. driving around town.

I'm not buying it. All those new license plate holders, stickers, ect in Homoha are probably the result of all the lost bets that Corn fans had to pay up when your team got it's ass beat in lincoln last year.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why people talk about Ohio State and the players they are replacing when comparing them to Michigan. Nobody is going to care in November who returned back in September. They will be more worried who they will return for next September.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted Ohio State btw.

I think if Iowa and Michigan are division champions, I think the same team will not win 2x. If Iowa beats Michigan during the season, Michigan will be B1G Champion. If Michigan beats Iowa in Kinnick, Iowa is B1G Champion. But like I said, I picked Ohio State to win the conference.

Which, my prediction will not be good for B1G as I have tOSU losing to Oklahoma and upset by Wisconsin. Can't remember if I picked MSU to beat them, but I think I had them losing 2 games in the 13 games.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rutgers

Preview segment: The Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Last season: A rough 4-8 season. In fact, it was rough from start to finish; from player arrests to accusations of academic fraud, and then in the end the athletic director was fired alongside with the head coach.
Enter former Ohio State defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who will try to clean up this gigantic mess in Piscataway.

Good news: There's some good pieces on defense, like a solid D-line. The running backs Rutgers has can be playmakers...

Bad news: ...if the O-line fixes itself. In fact, a LOT of positions are in limbo including the quarterback and linebackers.

Key games:
9/3 @ Washington (Survival will be the key here for Rutgers, as all of those new starters will grow up quick in Seattle.)
9/17 vs. New Mexico (Why is this game huge for Rutgers? Because after this they must play Iowa, Ohio State, AND Michigan in 3 consecutive weeks! So momentum-wise, this one is huge.)
11/26 @ Maryland (You know, the last 2 games between the Knights and the Terps have been pretty good. Maybe this CAN be a good season-ending rivalry game.)

Bottom line: It doesn't look good for Rutgers this season. First, they're starting over after a rough 2015. Second, they don't play Purdue. And lastly, that rough slate to start the Big 10 schedule. Probably best to leave Rutgers alone as they rebuild for the future.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State

The last, glorious, preview segment for the 2016 College Football season: The Ohio State Buckeyes

Last season: I was thinking about how to rationalize the Buckeyes's 2015 season, and in my Japan-friendly mind I found it: Touhou Project's own Yukari Yakamo. See, she's a powerful creature who's intelligent and can destroy her opponents at will... when she feels like it (She sleeps most of the time).
That describes Ohio State's 2015 season to a T: Despite being lackadaisical and sleepy, their talent kept them undefeated. Then, the SECOND somebody punches them in the mouth (Michigan State) the Buckeyes roared to life and destroyed both Michigan and Notre Dame to finish #4 in the final rankings.
Thing is, Ohio State and Urban Meyer doesn't care about Touhou or any of that stuff right now. They're trying to fill a LOT of holes to stay in the national title hunt.

Bad news: Of note, Joey Bosa is gone and only 3 starters total return on defense. Plus, the skill positions on offense will be all-new as well

Good news: Happily, the mess at quarterback that's been plaguing Ohio State is finally over; J.T. Barrett is finally the man on campus. LB Raekwon McMillian could be Ohio State's next big hero on defense, and don't be fooled; that "us against the world" mentality that the Buckeyes used to win the national title 2 years ago is back.

Key games:
9/17 @ Oklahoma (Just hurry up and get your tickets for this one! On StubHub, they're already going for over $330.)
10/15 @ Wisconsin (The Badgers will have 2 weeks to prep for the Buckeyes's visit to Camp Randell. Do NOT underestimate them.)
10/29 vs. Northwestern (Same scenario as the above game: Ohio State should NOT underestimate the Wildcats. Not with that strong defense they have.)
11/19 @ Michigan State (By this time, Michigan State should have it's act together. And going to East Lansing is not ideal for a Buckeye squad seeking sweet revenge...)
11/26 vs. Michigan (...especially with a PO'ed Jim Harbaugh waiting for them afterwards.)

Bottom line: Earlier, I said that Michigan State was the wild card of the 2016 season. Well, I've changed my mind; Ohio State is now the ultimate wild-card of the season. With Urban Meyer still in Columbus, don't be surprised if the Buckeyes find a way to stun Michigan and find a path back to the Big 10 title.