• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also love the people who justify it in their heads. "I don't have cable, and HBO Go requires you to have cable so I'm okay doing it until they get with the times and let me pay for just streaming."

Uhhhh, no. But thanks for playing.

That said; entertainment companies do have ridiculously archaic ways of looking at it.

Ten years ago I think you could have said that, not so much now. HBO Go is just a bonus service for their subscribers.

In either case, if it's something you WANT, then if you want to use/watch/listen/see it, fucking pay for it. None of it is is anything anyone HAS to have. Nobody goes into a store, looks at a shirt and wants it and says "I want that shirt, but I think the cost is too large, so that justifies me taking it."

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time wrapping their heads around the theft of intellectual property as being just as wrong as the theft of physical property, but there is definitely a barrier there.

i dont think it's as much a barrier between which law is 'worse' to break, it's just easier to break and easier to get away with it. you can do it from your home without anybody physically seeing you do it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont think it's as much a barrier between which law is 'worse' to break, it's just easier to break and easier to get away with it. you can do it from your home without anybody physically seeing you do it.

Well, not physically...

But putting a T-shirt in your bag and walking out doesn't leave a fingerprint that never goes away.

Zeroes and ones are forever. I have been dealing with a case recently that involves an email sent in 2002.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I am not reading anyones posts in this thread seeing as how someone claimed a poster made a huge spoiler about Jon Snow. I thought no book spoilers? can someone PM me if it was a lie and is safe to keep in this thread? if not I guess Im staying out of it until forever lol

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I am not reading anyones posts in this thread seeing as how someone claimed a poster made a huge spoiler about Jon Snow. I thought no book spoilers? can someone PM me if it was a lie and is safe to keep in this thread? if not I guess Im staying out of it until forever lol

For Mattola and all,

Someone posted a guess as to something they thought might happen and then another poster indicated that guess was correct. It's possible that it isn't even, but there was an implication there. So its MAYBE a spoiler but maybe not. Not sure.

Not a huge deal. Avoid page 66 or if mods want to delete posts 1045 - 1050, I don't think anyone would be upset (including me who has some posts in there).

Or maybe someone should change the thread title and replace "Discussion Thread" with "NO BOOK SPOILERS" or something to that effect.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to know if it's a spoiler or not since I read it and all...

I mean, I don't want it confirmed one way or another because then *I'M* screwed, if that makes sense... Hah!

Basically, I think this thread is bad news if you don't want stuff spoiled... because people have been been careless (or just not caring) and it's definitely NOT safe to read stuff here, IMO.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Mattola and all,

Someone posted a guess as to something they thought might happen and then another poster indicated that guess was correct. It's possible that it isn't even, but there was an implication there. So its MAYBE a spoiler but maybe not. Not sure.

Not a huge deal. Avoid page 66 or if mods want to delete posts 1045 - 1050, I don't think anyone would be upset (including me who has some posts in there).

Or maybe someone should change the thread title and replace "Discussion Thread" with "NO BOOK SPOILERS" or something to that effect.

thanks dude.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to know if it's a spoiler or not since I read it and all...

I mean, I don't want it confirmed one way or another because then *I'M* screwed, if that makes sense... Hah!

Basically, I think this thread is bad news if you don't want stuff spoiled... because people have been been careless (or just not caring) and it's definitely NOT safe to read stuff here, IMO.

For 1,050+ posts, I actually think everyone has been pretty damn good, but I know what you're saying all the same.

SPOILER ALERT - Eventually, rares does get screwed. Also, he's adopted. Sorry.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For 1,050+ posts, I actually think everyone has been pretty damn good, but I know what you're saying all the same.

SPOILER ALERT - Eventually, rares does get screwed. Also, he's adopted. Sorry.

LOL... that's like... double-screwed (no offense to adopted people; nothing against them.. did I really need this disclaimer for political correctness? can never be too sure these days...) :P

But regardless, I agree that the thread title should probably be edited to include "NO SPOILERS" somehow.

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Mattola and all,

If this is about my post I wasn't confirming or denying anything. I should have clarified that better. So I'm sorry for that. If it's for the best I don't mind if my post is deleted. Sorry again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya, there was a guess about what happens to a character, then a mention that someone did have something spoiled about that character, outside of the hoop.. i thought about deleting it but i didn't want people to read that as confirmation of a spoiler because i don't know if it is or not.. i figured best to leave it hang there with no confirmation :noidea:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ten years ago I think you could have said that, not so much now. HBO Go is just a bonus service for their subscribers.

In either case, if it's something you WANT, then if you want to use/watch/listen/see it, fucking pay for it. None of it is is anything anyone HAS to have. Nobody goes into a store, looks at a shirt and wants it and says "I want that shirt, but I think the cost is too large, so that justifies me taking it."

I wish HBO had a way of making their content available for non subscribers but they dont and thats not a reason to steal it. Also I would think if they would price out individual episodes a months worth would be more than a months subscription, but I suppose it would help people who do not have cable at all.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely get where HBO is coming from with this though. They don't have commercials, their profit relies 100% on subscriptions. Look at Game of Thrones and think for a second how astronomically expensive a show it must be to produce. I have absolutely no problem with them going after people for this.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish HBO had a way of making their content available for non subscribers but they dont and thats not a reason to steal it. Also I would think if they would price out individual episodes a months worth would be more than a months subscription, but I suppose it would help people who do not have cable at all.

"A la Carte" is a concept the cable industry in general has had a hard time grasping. I want NHL network. I have no use for the Oprah network. Just give me the channels I want.

It's cash sitting on the table and they won't just pick it up. I would buy a streaming subscription to HBO if they had some movies on demand that you can't get anywhere else (plus their shows). With Netflix, I watch more "TV" on my computer and iPad than I do on the actual TV.

Although I did just push a Direct TV receiver through my PC so that is likely to change.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah cable companies claim they cannot make the al la mode concept work in the US despite it working elsewhere.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the show is 60 minutes long as well and you get about 58 minutes of showtime with the 2 minutes being an intro unlike other shows like the The Walking Dead for example 60 minutes of showtime and you get 43 minutes I think of actual show with the rest being credits and commercials. I worked out the time between the 2 and with 10 episodes of GOT you get roughly 14.6 episodes of the TWDs 16 episodes. I personally like the 16 spread out more and I tape it (yes I still use the term tape) and avoid commercials. HBO needs no commercials to pay the bills as they are like you say total subscription.

by the way when does it return? February 2014?

I have to cancel my HBO until then lol

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"A la Carte" is a concept the cable industry in general has had a hard time grasping. I want NHL network. I have no use for the Oprah network. Just give me the channels I want.

It's cash sitting on the table and they won't just pick it up. I would buy a streaming subscription to HBO if they had some movies on demand that you can't get anywhere else (plus their shows). With Netflix, I watch more "TV" on my computer and iPad than I do on the actual TV.

Although I did just push a Direct TV receiver through my PC so that is likely to change.

Well, we've seen the cable companies being pushed more by some of the bigger networks in recent years (NFL network, AMC, etc.). I could see this changing, although truth-be-told, if they did them on an individual basis it would probably be like $3 for NHL network, and $2 for Comedy Central, and $3 for Discovery, etc. By the time you added everything you like, the bill might actually be more. But some company will come along with that kind of concept I would guess. Especially as wireless technology expands/improves. I would guess that will allow potential companies without any infrastructure to join the game.

Yeah cable companies claim they cannot make the al la mode concept work in the US despite it working elsewhere.

43 wants to be able to shop for each channel, but Comeds wants a freakin' cable box that can distribute ice cream?!? Great idea... though maybe a little "pie in the sky."

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the show is 60 minutes long as well and you get about 58 minutes of showtime with the 2 minutes being an intro unlike other shows like the The Walking Dead for example 60 minutes of showtime and you get 43 minutes I think of actual show with the rest being credits and commercials. I worked out the time between the 2 and with 10 episodes of GOT you get roughly 14.6 episodes of the TWDs 16 episodes. I personally like the 16 spread out more and I tape it (yes I still use the term tape) and avoid commercials. HBO needs no commercials to pay the bills as they are like you say total subscription.

by the way when does it return? February 2014?

I have to cancel my HBO until then lol

Lol. I just signed up last week after all the Red Wedding talk I was hearing. I love the Newsroom and Boardwalk, which are just around the corner. Don't cash out those chips yet, Matty!

We've seen pictures of your house - you can spare the $10/month (12$ Canadian)! ;)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
reasons I dont like the "a la carte" system for tv:

1. I have found new shows on channels that i would never of even thought about buying... Who would think history and A&E would have good tv shows??
2. When a la carte people tend to go cheap... The i dont need that channel attitude. I know for me on my cell phone i almost never pay for apps, why?? because i can find enough free games that i dont need it.
3. People would rather use HULU plus and or netflix and or amazon, and or any other internet tv type thing...