• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....see, it's viewers like you two they dumbed the damn show down for, haha.

Dumbed down? I thought Hodor's sacrifice was a great show moment. Not exactly fan service there. So wtf are you talking about?

Seasons 5, 6, and 7 won for Best Drama series at the Emmys. The first four did not.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree with you though. Season 5 was too soft. Like when Shireen Baratheon was burned alive by her parents or when Sansa was raped by her new groom. Uh... fan service much!!

Why not just have R2D2 show up so crowds can applaud his cameo!

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumbed down? I thought Hodor's sacrifice was a great show moment. Not exactly fan service there. So wtf are you talking about?

Seasons 5, 6, and 7 won for Best Drama series at the Emmys. The first four did not.
Yes, but winning an award doesn't mean the show got better. In many ways those votes were there because OF the preceding seasons, which in their infancy were going up against eh likes of Breaking Bad, the darling of the time.

And I'm not saying there haven't been great moments in the last 3 seasons. Hardhome is a tope 3 moment for me, and original to the show. It was outstanding. But, yes, the show has become significantly dumbed down. look at the Littlefinger/Arya/Sansa storyline last season. Garbage. The little quest to retrieve a wight? Garbage! Sam curing Jorah of greyscale with a scalpel and balm? Garbage!

Hodor's death was overall pretty good. I hate that Summer died, but it was a great scene.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

I have been trying to go back and watch all the episodes. Season 1 is OK, mostly holds my interest because GRRM keeps saying everything you need to know about the ending is in the first book. Seasons 2 and 3 were, for me, borderline unwatchable. I also feel the best seasons were 6 and 7. But that is my opinion, no better or worse than any other's.

I do feel like the overall tone and feel of the series has changed right around the point in time the book material ended. The writing is different in the more recent seasons, but I cannot really say why. Again, it could be because I am fixated on "how this ends" but I feel like the first season I hung on every word. Last couple of years, not so much. The books are so much more complex than the TV series, maybe the relative thinness of the tv plot is influencing me?

In any event, I am looking forward to Season 8. Some will hate it, some will love it. I expect I will love some bits and hate others, but undoubtedly my view will be influenced by how I feel about "character X" being killed off.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but winning an award doesn't mean the show got better.

It generally does in the eyes of people who analyze the thoughtfulness and execution of television show scripts, acting, and direction for a living. So... there's that.

And I'm not saying there haven't been great moments in the last 3 seasons. Hardhome is a tope 3 moment for me, and original to the show. It was outstanding. But, yes, the show has become significantly dumbed down. look at the Littlefinger/Arya/Sansa storyline last season. Garbage. The little quest to retrieve a wight? Garbage! Sam curing Jorah of greyscale with a scalpel and balm? Garbage!.

I thought the Littlefinger/Sansa storyline was well done. Don't really care that Sam saved Jorah, they said greyscale had been cured on some people. I agree the All-Star Team to get the wight was a little cheesy, but it was also incredibly entertaining and the loss of the dragon was pretty cool and unexpected, so it had some redeeming qualities as well. But the complexity of the characters has grown significantly in seasons 5-7. Dany having to make hard choices and fight her familial impulses. Jamie Lannister's conflicting feelings for both his siblings has been some of the best character stuff in the show. Theon's redemption. Arya becoming who she is. Character development is king for me, so I think that has been much stronger in the latter seasons (as it usually is since you have to build the base of the characters first).

We disagree. C'est la vie. It's hard for opinions on art to be stupid.

Stupid would be like... predicting the Capitals would miss the playoffs this year. ;)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In any event, I am looking forward to Season 8. Some will hate it, some will love it. I expect I will love some bits and hate others, but undoubtedly my view will be influenced by how I feel about "character X" being killed off.

Adding Jar Jar Binks will undoubtedly be a bad choice... but me sa excited!

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
I know, and I don't fault anyone for enjoying it (I still enjoy it), but while we can subjectively disagree about wether the show is better now or worse, I dont see how one can deny the quality of the writing has suffered.
I have been trying to go back and watch all the episodes. Season 1 is OK, mostly holds my interest because GRRM keeps saying everything you need to know about the ending is in the first book. Seasons 2 and 3 were, for me, borderline unwatchable. I also feel the best seasons were 6 and 7. But that is my opinion, no better or worse than any other's.
See, I am the inverse. To me, seasons 1-4 are nearly flawless television, and brilliant adaptation. Season 5 was good (just not great) 6 was mediocre and 7 legitimately bad. But again that's my opinion, as you said.

I do feel like the overall tone and feel of the series has changed right around the point in time the book material ended. The writing is different in the more recent seasons, but I cannot really say why. Again, it could be because I am fixated on "how this ends" but I feel like the first season I hung on every word. Last couple of years, not so much. The books are so much more complex than the TV series, maybe the relative thinness of the tv plot is influencing me?
Well, it's two fold. They ran out of source material, and the show writers are not the genius that Martin is...hence why plots became far simpler, character motivations were erratic or even outright out of character, there were glaring plot inconsistencies, etc. Also, there was a falling out between Martin and D&D, and a few examples of the bad were literal show sabotage in a sense. D&D also do far far more fan service and shock moments for the casual fan. Hence why Jon gets the hero moments, Tyrion is innately good, and a "major character" dies every episode.
I concur.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They ran out of source material, and the show writers are not the genius that Martin is...hence why plots became far simpler, character motivations were erratic or even outright out of character, there were glaring plot inconsistencies, etc.

To be fair, the show writers were not given 8 years to write next season's script :D

(I agree with you btw)

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Thought Season 6 was the best overall. Hodor's death, Battle of the Bastards, and that slow roll with the piano music to the Sept of Baelor getting blow up. All among the best scenes and episodes in the series.
Maybe it was me but Hodor's death was so fucking funny to me. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it was me but Hodor's death was so fucking funny to me. I had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

giphy.gif

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get this shit...

Last night, thanks to @Taddy Mason, I realized that I still have an episode of GoT to watch!

For some reason, I thought the episode where the Night King turned the dragon to an ice dragon zombie was the season finale and I stopped watching, so I still have the actual finale to watch!

Of course, I now know that he rides the dragon and blasts the wall, but I don't really give a shit.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get this shit...

Last night, thanks to @Taddy Mason, I realized that I still have an episode of GoT to watch!

For some reason, I thought the episode where the Night King turned the dragon to an ice dragon zombie was the season finale and I stopped watching, so I still have the actual finale to watch!

Of course, I now know that he rides the dragon and blasts the wall, but I don't really give a shit.
i do what i can, which isn't much

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I liked the scene but I did find it funny how Meera kept looking back and telling Hodor to sacrifice himself for them.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robb's biggest mistake was allowing Theon to return to Pyke. It had a domino effect that led to all his other woes. His weakness was trust, same as his father.

2nd biggest mistake was beheading Karstark. Can't fault him for marrying Talisa. If he did everything else right, it wouldn't have been so costly for him.