• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple months away and the universe is unfolding as it should.

My boss came to his senses and did not send me to Germany.

My tv died last week, "forcing" me to pick up a Samsung Q9F 75 inch beast.

Just in time for the playoff push, the inevitable first round loss to the Bruins, and then the glorious end to GoT.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this season won't be stressful.

If you had told me 8 years ago when GoT began that I would have scheduling conflicts between GoT and the Leafs playoff run, well, I would have found that quite amusing and unbelievable.

Oh, and the answer to the next question is: GoT > Leafs playoff game

#priorities

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that wasn't impressed by the trailer?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one that wasn't impressed by the trailer?

Not sure what you were expecting?

A pic of Jaime standing over Cersei's dead body?
Daario breaking into the cabin where Auntie Dany just hit nephew Jon?
Euron finishing the emasculation of Theon?
Bran looking and sounding boring in his wheelchair? (Oops that was in there)
Sam cowering in fear and the Night King falling on the Valerian steel sword Sam "borrowed" from Daddy?

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you were expecting?

A pic of Jaime standing over Cersei's dead body?
Daario breaking into the cabin where Auntie Dany just hit nephew Jon?
Euron finishing the emasculation of Theon?
Bran looking and sounding boring in his wheelchair? (Oops that was in there)
Sam cowering in fear and the Night King falling on the Valerian steel sword Sam "borrowed" from Daddy?
I suppose just anything to dissuade me from the fear of the (probably inevitable) mindless, plotless, cliched fan service season we're going to get. The trailer didn't give hint of ANY arcs or plots this season save the big ol white walkers are finally here, and all of the good characters left alive are all banded together in Winterfell and hero trope Jon and heroine trope Dany and Mary Sue Arya will fight fight fight to save the day. Oh yes, Cersei and the two remaining villains are still out there to be dealt with, probably poorly, as well.

But at least we got to see characters wowed by dragons (again), Tyrion looking stoic, Arya being "bad ass", Ceresi drinking, Bran sounding boring (as you said), Jaime repeating what we already know, and GreyWorm and Messandi kissing.

Jtrain80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It appears that way. I saw a lot in that trailer that gives me great concern this final season might be worse than the last one.

I only watched it once, no pause or instant replay, trying not to spoil it for myself.

Other than CFB season, this is the entertainment highlight for 2019 for me.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only watched it once, no pause or instant replay, trying not to spoil it for myself.

Other than CFB season, this is the entertainment highlight for 2019 for me.
I get you. I'm just a diehard fan who's disgruntled with how far in quality the show has fallen (from it's own bar). There were aspects of it I enjoyed....Jorah looking boss, the Golden Company coming, and I'll be honest, I did grin seeing the dead horse hoof.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get you. I'm just a diehard fan who's disgruntled with how far in quality the show has fallen (from it's own bar). There were aspects of it I enjoyed....Jorah looking boss, the Golden Company coming, and I'll be honest, I did grin seeing the dead horse hoof.

The one aspect I "learned" from the trailer but do not care for is the battle with the Night King will apparently be at night. For my old eyes, I prefer daylight. Blackwater was a bit of a bust for me for the same reason.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one aspect I "learned" from the trailer but do not care for is the battle with the Night King will apparently be at night. For my old eyes, I prefer daylight. Blackwater was a bit of a bust for me for the same reason.
Yeah, that's intentionally done as it makes filming easier, and hides a limited number of extras (and their actions) to make things seem grander. My issue is, this is the heart of the North IN Winter AT NIGHT no less, and the snow is 2-3 inches high at most.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's intentionally done as it makes filming easier, and hides a limited number of extras (and their actions) to make things seem grander. My issue is, this is the heart of the North IN Winter AT NIGHT no less, and the snow is 2-3 inches high at most.

Well, Ned Stark always said "Winter is coming". I guess he meant a mild winter :noidea:

I suspect they wanted more snow, but that darn Maisie Williams did not cooperate by, you know, growing taller than a hobbit. She would be buried alive in a deep snow.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ridiculous plot speculation that I kinda hope is delivered:

• Ygritte is part of the undead army, faces Jon Snow and says "you know nothing" while she plunges a sword in him (payback is a bitch)
    [*][*]Melissandre raises the dead Starks from the crypts of Winterfell. She is killed by the Night King.
    [*][*]Nymeria and her pack of wolves arrive at the last moment to turn the tide of battle. The Night King kills Nymeria, sending Arya into a rabid rage, she Hulks up and kills the Night King with that pesky knife we saw in Season 1
    [*][*]Zombie Ned travels to Kings Landing and kills Cersei. He is, after all, a "little brother"
    [*][*]Daario returns with the Golden Company under the command of Cersei. Meets Dany on the battlefield, kills Jorah, then drops his sword, allowing Dany to kill him.
    [*][*]Arya catches Sansa in bed with Gendry and (finally) kills her annoying older sibling
    [*][*]The Mountain offs both the Hound and Brienne, before succumbing to No One.
    [*][*]Euron and Theon battle for the Iron Islands throne. Euron wins and the Starks say "meh".
    [*][*]Varys does nothing other than stand around claiming he acts in the best interests of the people, realizes there are damn few people left, and follows Rickon out a window
    [*][*]Bran turns into a tree, and no one notices the difference
    [*][*]Dany lays dying, gives birth to Jon's baby and they name him something weird that starts with a "J"
    [*][*]With his dying breath, Jon begs Sam to raise his son as his own
    [*][*]And. . .
    [*][*]Since no one else is left, Sam is pushed by Gilly to sit on the Iron Throne as regent until the real "Song of Ice and Fire" (the baby) is old enough

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think this show has gotten better as its gone along. The first couple seasons I watched because my wife wanted to, not so much for me. The first couple seasons I thought there were a bunch of OK episodes, a few bad episodes (that sometimes had a great last scene), and one or two great ones.
I think the overall quality and pacing has improved greatly over the second half of the series.

I have footage of The Waif running behind my treadmill as an incentive to pick up my pace. Sometimes I let her catch me and pretend I'm going to give her a bath.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think this show has gotten better as its gone along.

Agree. Thought Season 6 was the best overall. Hodor's death, Battle of the Bastards, and that slow roll with the piano music to the Sept of Baelor getting blow up. All among the best scenes and episodes in the series.

Toadman005

The Scorpio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....see, it's viewers like you two they dumbed the damn show down for, haha.