• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Stars Hockey

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothin at all. I haven't spoke to him since he went back to work monday. If there were noteworthy plans I'm sure he'd tell me. But I'm still hoping for morales.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothin at all. I haven't spoke to him since he went back to work monday. If there were noteworthy plans I'm sure he'd tell me. But I'm still hoping for morales.

We're on the same page.... Morales would completely solidify the lineup and provides flexibility for other possibilities because he's a switch hitter.

elziegreat42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Our lack of depth on defense scares. There is a lot of confusion with our defensive coverage at times and some egregious turnovers. It'll be nice getting Daley back to help solidify that unit.

I love connautons natural tools and offensive prowess, especially his skating and rocket shot, but he seems a little unbridled angel times. His turnover against Oshie can't happen at this level. Gaunce just doesn't belong up here yet and looks overwhelmed at times.

This might be the best skating stars team that I can remember. And actually, the way this team is constructed reminds me of the 2010 rangers because of the youth and high upside. Although, this stars group still has some growing to do.....

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our lack of depth on defense scares. There is a lot of confusion with our defensive coverage at times and some egregious turnovers. It'll be nice getting Daley back to help solidify that unit.

I love connautons natural tools and offensive prowess, especially his skating and rocket shot, but he seems a little unbridled angel times. His turnover against Oshie can't happen at this level. Gaunce just doesn't belong up here yet and looks overwhelmed at times.

This might be the best skating stars team that I can remember. And actually, the way this team is constructed reminds me of the 2010 rangers because of the youth and high upside. Although, this stars group still has some growing to do.....

Goli is looking much better. When Daley gets back I think it'll look much better. Gonchar will be back in the next couple days. I know he isn't playing that wel, but he's better than connauton and gaunce. Hopefully, if we're lucky, Robidas will be back in a few months. If we have him, Daley, Goli, Gonchar, and Dillon, we'll be alright. It will still only be average-below average, but it won't be cowboys bad. We gotta use our pick this year to get a good defensemen. A big guy that is good at blocking shots and finishing checks would be preferred. That's what Weber and Pietrangelo are so good at. We got a bunch of guys that can actually play defense, but there are so many other aspects that we lack in like that.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goli is looking much better. When Daley gets back I think it'll look much better. Gonchar will be back in the next couple days. I know he isn't playing that wel, but he's better than connauton and gaunce. Hopefully, if we're lucky, Robidas will be back in a few months. If we have him, Daley, Goli, Gonchar, and Dillon, we'll be alright. It will still only be average-below average, but it won't be cowboys bad. We gotta use our pick this year to get a good defensemen. A big guy that is good at blocking shots and finishing checks would be preferred. That's what Weber and Pietrangelo are so good at. We got a bunch of guys that can actually play defense, but there are so many other aspects that we lack in like that.

Organizationally, the Stars need forwards, not defensemen. While it's true that the current top-6 is mediocre, the farm is loaded with quality defensemen who are all on the verge of being NHL-ready. Goligoski and Dillon are already there. You've also mentioned Connauton and Gaunce, who should both be more ready for full-time NHL action next season. Plus Jamie Oleksiak, Jyrki Jokipakka, and Patrik Nemeth are all in Cedar Park and all ready to make the jump in the next 1-2 years. Plus the team has John Klingberg playing in the Swedish Elite League. He could wind up as the best of all of them. That's 8 defensemen who are either currently or soon-to-be legit top-6 NHL defensemen. If you include Jordie Benn, that's 9.

The Stars basically have 6-8 total forwards who are considered NHL-caliber for their future. The Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin line is as good as it gets. But after those 3, you're looking at Brett Ritchie and Alex Chiasson as legit top-6 candidates. Colton Sceviour is a maybe. And Cody Eakin, while great, is really more suited for a 3rd line role on a contending team. Radek Faksa and Scott Glennie, both once seen as top-6 guys, will be doing good to make the team eventually as checking line guys.

So unless a can't-miss #1 offensive defenseman falls into the Stars' lap on draft day, I'd rather them draft a Center in round 1 and maybe wait until rounds 3-4 to pick a defenseman.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell Yeah!!! Great seats and great game. Cole should've had a hat trick. The Wild already lost and the Coyotes are losing. We're getting there and I bet none of the top teams want to face this young team in the first round

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stars games are so fun. I know this is a rangers board, but I would rather go to a stars game than a rangers game any day of the week. People dont understand hockey until they see it in person. Holy shit though... connauton almost cost us again. We got too many young guys on defense that we're relying on to be great, however none of them (barring dylan of course) are really big bodies like what is becoming so popular now. All the great young defensemen are huge, love checking, have a wicked slap shot, block shots like no other, and control the puck better than anyone else on the team. We really don't have a guy like that and I don't see any of our young guys becoming that either. That's why I said we should draft a guy like that early. I don't know what the draft pool looks like, but I think if there is a big defensemen that fits this resume then we should take him. I think that our first line is set for many many years. I think we have 4 good centers. Chiasson, Scevior, Eakin, Roussel and garbutt will all be solid players. Not great, probably not all stars, but solid players. We really don't have THAT many open voids to fill that can't be filled in free agency. You have around 12 forwards/centers on each team that play (4 lines x 3) and since we already have our first line set and I just gave you 5 more names, that's only really 4 holes. I realize I'm looking at it from a very simplistic standpoint, but I think our best move right now is to let our team develop. If we make a move at the deadline, it should be trading away erik cole to get some young talent and a conditional pick. He has proven he can still score goals and distribute the puck at a pretty good level. I think we can get a prospect or two and a conditional pick for him, considering how weak the deadline talent will be. Then, ya just gotta let the kids develop. We now have enough money to make a splash in the offseason. I personally think this team is two years and one more great player away from being one of the best in the west. If they got another player that has first line talent and we put him on the second line to lead the charge after whitney retires and chiasson is developed then we have an extremely potent first two lines. Then we got our powerful, scrappy checking line with Fiddler and Garbutt, so you;d be looking at line 3 to fill with younger talent. Eakin would be the center, and you'd put two young guys around him, one of them probably being Sceaviour.

I think this offseason we go out and use our available money to make a splash and get a defenseman that is a leader in the clubhouse as well as on the ice. A guy that, during the power play, can lead the charge from behind his own net and always be a slap shot threat.

One thing I noticed about st louis is that they could have 2 guys pressing on the forecheck. We only have 1. Why did they have two when we only have one? (usually Seguin or Nichushkin) because their defense is so damn good that if they get the puck past the forecheck the defense will always be there to stop them. Our defense is so bad that we need that extra winger in the back to help. This puts them at a serious advantage because it can confuse line changes and rush the other team to take them out of their game plan. That's why I think a great defenseman is so important. Most stanley cup winners have great goalies and great defenses. We don't have that yet. When the kids develop and we use our extra funds though... yikes

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stars games are so fun. I know this is a rangers board, but I would rather go to a stars game than a rangers game any day of the week. People dont understand hockey until they see it in person. Holy shit though... connauton almost cost us again. We got too many young guys on defense that we're relying on to be great, however none of them (barring dylan of course) are really big bodies like what is becoming so popular now. All the great young defensemen are huge, love checking, have a wicked slap shot, block shots like no other, and control the puck better than anyone else on the team. We really don't have a guy like that and I don't see any of our young guys becoming that either. That's why I said we should draft a guy like that early. I don't know what the draft pool looks like, but I think if there is a big defensemen that fits this resume then we should take him. I think that our first line is set for many many years. I think we have 4 good centers. Chiasson, Scevior, Eakin, Roussel and garbutt will all be solid players. Not great, probably not all stars, but solid players. We really don't have THAT many open voids to fill that can't be filled in free agency. You have around 12 forwards/centers on each team that play (4 lines x 3) and since we already have our first line set and I just gave you 5 more names, that's only really 4 holes. I realize I'm looking at it from a very simplistic standpoint, but I think our best move right now is to let our team develop. If we make a move at the deadline, it should be trading away erik cole to get some young talent and a conditional pick. He has proven he can still score goals and distribute the puck at a pretty good level. I think we can get a prospect or two and a conditional pick for him, considering how weak the deadline talent will be. Then, ya just gotta let the kids develop. We now have enough money to make a splash in the offseason. I personally think this team is two years and one more great player away from being one of the best in the west. If they got another player that has first line talent and we put him on the second line to lead the charge after whitney retires and chiasson is developed then we have an extremely potent first two lines. Then we got our powerful, scrappy checking line with Fiddler and Garbutt, so you;d be looking at line 3 to fill with younger talent. Eakin would be the center, and you'd put two young guys around him, one of them probably being Sceaviour.

I think this offseason we go out and use our available money to make a splash and get a defenseman that is a leader in the clubhouse as well as on the ice. A guy that, during the power play, can lead the charge from behind his own net and always be a slap shot threat.

One thing I noticed about st louis is that they could have 2 guys pressing on the forecheck. We only have 1. Why did they have two when we only have one? (usually Seguin or Nichushkin) because their defense is so damn good that if they get the puck past the forecheck the defense will always be there to stop them. Our defense is so bad that we need that extra winger in the back to help. This puts them at a serious advantage because it can confuse line changes and rush the other team to take them out of their game plan. That's why I think a great defenseman is so important. Most stanley cup winners have great goalies and great defenses. We don't have that yet. When the kids develop and we use our extra funds though... yikes

Not sure why you think we need size on defense. Oleksiak is 6'7", and Dillon, Nemeth, and Jokipakka are all 6'3"-6'4". If anything, they need a quick offensive-type on the blue line to QB the power play (what Goligoski was supposed to be).

Garbutt and Roussel are nothing more than checking line wingers. Eakin is a 3rd line center. The Stars still need a legit 2nd line Center and maybe even a 2nd line winger, depending on how Ritchie develops.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why you think we need size on defense. Oleksiak is 6'7", and Dillon, Nemeth, and Jokipakka are all 6'3"-6'4". If anything, they need a quick offensive-type on the blue line to QB the power play (what Goligoski was supposed to be).

Garbutt and Roussel are nothing more than checking line wingers. Eakin is a 3rd line center. The Stars still need a legit 2nd line Center and maybe even a 2nd line winger, depending on how Ritchie develops.

Well see that was one of my points. I think we're relying on too many young guys to be stars when we know they won't be. I do think though that we need that guy to police the powerplay from behind our own net

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well see that was one of my points. I think we're relying on too many young guys to be stars when we know they won't be. I do think though that we need that guy to police the powerplay from behind our own net

I don't know how you can say that none of the Stars' young defensemen will be star players. It is WAY too early to suggest anything like that. Oleksiak was drafted as a potential top-pair defenseman and he has done nothing since to suggest he won't be one. The learning curve for defensemen in the NHL is a much longer one than for forwards. It takes young defensemen a few seasons in the minors and a few more after that in the NHL to start hitting their strides.

Look at the first few seasons for Chara, Weber, Pietrangelo, Keith, etc.. They all struggled and put up very weak numbers. It took them a while to turn the corner. It will take the Stars' young guns a while too. Dillon is already a legit 2nd pair guy and he's still improving. Oleksiak will be top-4 too. Klingberg has a lot of offensive talent. I've seen him play live twice and he's very skilled. They do need a Keith Yandle/Drew Doughty type to run the PP, but they are very well covered for the rest of the top 6 on defense. Size is not a problem whatsoever. If a true can't-miss PP QB falls to them in the draft, them yeah it would be a solid pick. But the organization needs forwards more than defensemen. That's not just my opinion either. It's been well-documented and even talked about by GM Jim Nill.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get that. I think after oleksiak and connauton our defense isn't that strong. Every team needs a savvy veteran quarterbacking things. That's one of the reasons our powerplay has struggled so much. We don't have guys that are capable of just throwing the puck at the net and letting our young scrappers like nichushkin, roussel, or whoever else gets in front of the net poke it in. We tried that with Gonchar, but he's washed up. I think we need one of those guys. It also helps develop the young guys. I think its a no brainer

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I don't know a lot about the guys that aren't in the NHL, but I do know that our defense is terrible. They drove me crazy last night with how many they turned over. A lot of the problems has to do with Daley and Robidas being out, but neither of them are young.

I would say that both of you are correct. I think we need a center and defenseman early in the draft. I would take the best one available, whichever it is.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I don't know a lot about the guys that aren't in the NHL, but I do know that our defense is terrible. They drove me crazy last night with how many they turned over. A lot of the problems has to do with Daley and Robidas being out, but neither of them are young.

I would say that both of you are correct. I think we need a center and defenseman early in the draft. I would take the best one available, whichever it is.

You are both correct in that our current D is very mediocre/weak. But they are basically just playing with a band-aid unit of veterans until the youth is ready. I don't even consider Robidas, Daley, Gonchar, or Rome when talking about the state of affairs for defense within the organization. They will all be gone soon, maybe as soon as next season.

The future on D, which will be ready by 2014 or 2015, is made up of Oleksiak, Dillon, Klingberg, Nemeth, Goligoski, Jokipakka, with Connauton and Gaunce rating more as bottom-pair or 7th defenseman types. Connauton has nice offensive skill, but he's struggled defensively at every level (just like he's doing with the Stars now). If he could ever shore up his game in his own end, he could be a top-4 guy.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that we have the 4th ranked farm system in the NHL. But you are right. Most things I read say that we need centers... which is a bit odd to me, but when I think about it, some of our centers will likely be off the team in the next two years. Fiddler has personally asked to be traded. Peverly is likely to be traded as well. Erik Cole will bring in a decent haul. If there are 3 guys we trade, it will be among that group. All reports say that we can get good prospects for Peverly and Cole.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that we have the 4th ranked farm system in the NHL. But you are right. Most things I read say that we need centers... which is a bit odd to me, but when I think about it, some of our centers will likely be off the team in the next two years. Fiddler has personally asked to be traded. Peverly is likely to be traded as well. Erik Cole will bring in a decent haul. If there are 3 guys we trade, it will be among that group. All reports say that we can get good prospects for Peverly and Cole.

Yep. Stars are very strong at wing but need help down the middle. Seguin and Eakin are really the only 2 legit long-term Centers within the system. Most of the top forwards in the organization play Left or Right Wing.

And yes, the farm system is quite loaded now. Nieuwendyk had his share of blunders as GM, but he did do a solid job of re-stocking the farm. There isn't a lot of elite skill coming up. The 3 elite young players we have are already on our top line (Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin). But there is some very solid depth made up of future 2nd and 3rd line types.

I'd like to see the Stars draft 2 Centers, 1 Defenseman, and 1 Wing with their first 4 picks.

Right now the team is 3 players away from contending for the Cup. They need 2 top defenseman and a 2nd line Center. If they could add those (which won't happen this season), they'd be on par with Chicago and Pittsburgh. That will happen though over the next few seasons. The future is very, very bright.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pretty decent FA class next year too. Names that jump out are Coaiacovo, Andrei Markov and Paul Statsny. We have the tools to make a trade if we really want. But its not even worth it I don't think. We have a great team now, but not stanley cup great. We should trade 2 out of 3 of our old forwards(peverly fiddler and cole) to get a pick and some good prospects. Then we'll be in a good place money and prospects to make a splash this offseason just like last year. We can afford to make a couple of trades and still have a great farm if we add to it with some trades at the deadline.

I'll be at the game tonight. Montreal is pretty good. Seems like we never get a sure win anymore. Great seats too, 5 rows behind montreal's bench. Sure as shit wont be bringing a horn though

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pretty decent FA class next year too. Names that jump out are Coaiacovo, Andrei Markov and Paul Statsny. We have the tools to make a trade if we really want. But its not even worth it I don't think. We have a great team now, but not stanley cup great. We should trade 2 out of 3 of our old forwards(peverly fiddler and cole) to get a pick and some good prospects. Then we'll be in a good place money and prospects to make a splash this offseason just like last year. We can afford to make a couple of trades and still have a great farm if we add to it with some trades at the deadline.

I'll be at the game tonight. Montreal is pretty good. Seems like we never get a sure win anymore. Great seats too, 5 rows behind montreal's bench. Sure as shit wont be bringing a horn though

Hockey newbie..... But when are Crosby and/or Malkin gonna be free agents? Weren't they drafted in the same year by Pittsburgh?