• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Stars Hockey

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you honestly think DFW crowds are the quietest and most embarrassing in pro sports, you need to get around more. A LOT more. Maybe DFW doesn't compete with places like Chicago or Boston, or places like Portland where they only have 1 team to cheer for. But go to a game anywhere in Florida and tell me those fans are louder and more supportive than DFW's. The Rays draw poor crowds as do the Jaguars, and the 4 Miami pro teams have absolutely apathetic fans (the ones who actually show up).

You've also apparently never been to a game in Anaheim or San Diego. Those fans are as laid-back Southern Californian as it gets.

Maybe DFW fans aren't the rowdiest or loudest in pro sports (although Reunion Arena used to be one of the loudest venues in sports). But at least our stands aren't filled with the human garbage that shows up in Oakland and Philadelphia. At least we don't have to worry about getting stabbed or beaten to death like in SF and LA. At least our kids can go to games without getting cussed out and spit on like in New York and Boston.

Bingo. Frankly I don't give a shit what other cities and markets do. We have a way of doing things here and a culture. Me personally I am not a super loud an raw raw guy so when I go to games I don't make much noise if any unless something good/great happens for my team. I don't care if anybody else screams and is loud constantly. I am not that guy but that also doesn't make me less of a fan than anybody else.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys dont think that noisemakers should be allowed at sporting events?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys dont think that noisemakers should be allowed at sporting events?

No, I think that they should definitely be allowed, especially at a hockey game. Just don't be the guy who blows the horn non-stop for 60 straight minutes without ever sitting down. Supportive loud is great. Obnoxious loud is annoying.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you honestly think DFW crowds are the quietest and most embarrassing in pro sports, you need to get around more. A LOT more. Maybe DFW doesn't compete with places like Chicago or Boston, or places like Portland where they only have 1 team to cheer for. But go to a game anywhere in Florida and tell me those fans are louder and more supportive than DFW's. The Rays draw poor crowds as do the Jaguars, and the 4 Miami pro teams have absolutely apathetic fans (the ones who actually show up).

You've also apparently never been to a game in Anaheim or San Diego. Those fans are as laid-back Southern Californian as it gets.

Maybe DFW fans aren't the rowdiest or loudest in pro sports (although Reunion Arena used to be one of the loudest venues in sports). But at least our stands aren't filled with the human garbage that shows up in Oakland and Philadelphia. At least we don't have to worry about getting stabbed or beaten to death like in SF and LA. At least our kids can go to games without getting cussed out and spit on like in New York and Boston.

There are worse places, but I'll say this. No opposing teams are nervous about playing a game here.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I think that they should definitely be allowed, especially at a hockey game. Just don't be the guy who blows the horn non-stop for 60 straight minutes without ever sitting down. Supportive loud is great. Obnoxious loud is annoying.

Oh no we only blew them when we were on the powerplay. It was absolutely appropriate

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are worse places, but I'll say this. No opposing teams are nervous about playing a game here.

There are very few places in professional sports where opponents are afraid to play. The noise is deafening in KC and Seattle in the NFL. Portland and Golden State are notoriously tough on opponents in the NBA. Fenway and Yankee Stadium are pretty hostile in baseball. And the Canadian cities are hardcore home bases for NHL teams. But other than those select few places, teams don't fear other opposing fan bases. The Spurs might be good at home, but I guarantee you no NBA team is afraid of their atmosphere. No MLB teams are scared to play in Milwaukee or Cleveland. The Cowboys don't give a second thought to the home crowds in Minnesota or Detroit.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are very few places in professional sports where opponents are afraid to play. The noise is deafening in KC and Seattle in the NFL. Portland and Golden State are notoriously tough on opponents in the NBA. Fenway and Yankee Stadium are pretty hostile in baseball. And the Canadian cities are hardcore home bases for NHL teams. But other than those select few places, teams don't fear other opposing fan bases. The Spurs might be good at home, but I guarantee you no NBA team is afraid of their atmosphere. No MLB teams are scared to play in Milwaukee or Cleveland. The Cowboys don't give a second thought to the home crowds in Minnesota or Detroit.

Still though, I've learned that a hockey atmosphere is a bit different than any other sport. It seems that there are more diehard fans at hockey games. Fans aren't afraid to boo their own team. You see fights in the crowd all the time, you hear FUCK all the time, people scream during the star spangled banner, people are constantly screaming instructions, its just different. Hostile is the best word I can use to describe it. I'm not trying to say that we should strike fear into our opponents, but making it more traditionally loud would help. There is absolutely no harm on anyone by bringing a horn or drums or cowbells to a game. If it was detrimental to someone elses health, I would understand. That rule blows me away. The worst part is, my email will more than likely get ignored. Its bullshit

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still though, I've learned that a hockey atmosphere is a bit different than any other sport. It seems that there are more diehard fans at hockey games. Fans aren't afraid to boo their own team. You see fights in the crowd all the time, you hear FUCK all the time, people scream during the star spangled banner, people are constantly screaming instructions, its just different. Hostile is the best word I can use to describe it. I'm not trying to say that we should strike fear into our opponents, but making it more traditionally loud would help. There is absolutely no harm on anyone by bringing a horn or drums or cowbells to a game. If it was detrimental to someone elses health, I would understand. That rule blows me away. The worst part is, my email will more than likely get ignored. Its bullshit

Hockey atmosphere should be crazy, but Texas isn't much of a hockey state. The stars personality and winning ways died in reunion arena. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the GM from Detroit will fix the franchise, but it sounds like the owner sucks if he's gonna set stupid rules like the one that upset you. Isn't that guy Canadian? I don't follow the stars...

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey atmosphere should be crazy, but Texas isn't much of a hockey state. The stars personality and winning ways died in reunion arena. Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the GM from Detroit will fix the franchise, but it sounds like the owner sucks if he's gonna set stupid rules like the one that upset you. Isn't that guy Canadian? I don't follow the stars...

It doesn't really have anything to do with being a hockey state. The Stars were a model franchise from 1993-2008 but in about 2005ish is when slowly but surely things were getting away from them because of Hicks. We were one of the few teams on every list of FA's lists that they wanted to come here. But less and less money was put into the organization and eventually with all the bankruptcy shit it made the franchise in a struggle. The Stars are relevant again. They have a bunch of young studs and elite level talent and they're trending the right way. Yes the new owner is Canadian but it's probably not his rule. It may be some collective joint rule with the teams and and building managers, city etc. The sports teams here emphasize family environment so a lot of shit that happens elsewhere would not fly here including signs. I don't like it but it's just a way of doing things here and the culture thing like I stated earlier.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas is not a hockey state compared to Minnesota or Michigan, no. But it is a very good hockey state still. There are more professional hockey teams in Texas than in any other state. Hard to believe, but it's true. Also, youth and high school hockey has exploded in Texas and there are more amateur leagues here than just about any other state in the US. Texas will never compete with the northernmost US states in terms of diehard hockey fans and passion because they have the cold weather and decades of experience with the sport. It's still WAY ahead of every other southern state and a few northern ones as well though.

As for the whole noisemaker in the arena issue, that has absolutely nothing to do with Tom Gaglardi. That policy has been in place for the AAC since before he took over. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is. The Stars had a firm grip on the #2 spot in the DFW fan love rankings just behind the Cowboys in the mid to late 90's. Then 2 things happened. Tom Hicks shelled out a ton of other people's money to sign awful contracts. The team struggled and Hicks went belly-up when he couldn't pay back his investors. The new salary cap further complicated matters and the team essentially had to sell off its best players and play with a bare minimum salary controlled by the league. This complete reboot and horrible mismanagement scared off a chunk of the fan base. Also, the marquee and beloved names (Modano, Hull, Hatcher, Zubov, Lehtinen, Belfour, Nieuwendyk, Langenbrunner, Turco, Morrow, Ribeiro, Richards) were all either traded away or retired and replaced by a bunch of no-name mid-level talent guys who most casual fans had never heard of and found it hard to identify with.

Only now is the team starting to truly rebound. They're slowly building an identity around exciting players like Lehtonen, Seguin, Nichushkin, and Benn who the fans are starting to identify with and love. There was about a 5-7 year period of dark days for the team, but all teams have those. The Avs just had theirs too and the Blackhawks had a prolonged one back in the late-90's/early '00's. If you ever considered hopping on the Stars bandwagon, now is a good time to do so because pretty soon it will be full again with plenty of home sell-outs and playoff runs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the history lesson both of you..... It seems like Tom Hicks destroys everything he touches. I cringe when I hear that guys name. The scary thing is, when he's not getting chased away by angry mobs of soccer fans in Europe, he meddles in the affairs at UT. I think he has a small level of involvement in the Longhorns search for a football search. It sounds like things are getting better, I think just making the playoffs would be a huge step for the stars this year. Hopefully they can get it done.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the history lesson both of you..... It seems like Tom Hicks destroys everything he touches. I cringe when I hear that guys name. The scary thing is, when he's not getting chased away by angry mobs of soccer fans in Europe, he meddles in the affairs at UT. I think he has a small level of involvement in the Longhorns search for a football search. It sounds like things are getting better, I think just making the playoffs would be a huge step for the stars this year. Hopefully they can get it done.

Tom Hicks is the worst thing to ever happen to DFW sports. He almost single-handedly ruined two local franchises. I would gladly trade the Stars 99 Cup if it meant Hicks never having touched anything to do with the Stars or Rangers. Another owner could have signed Belfour and Hull and the team could have still won a Cup without him. I wish someone would kidnap him and drop him off in a pub in Liverpool around midnight.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Hicks is the worst thing to ever happen to DFW sports. He almost single-handedly ruined two local franchises. I would gladly trade the Stars 99 Cup if it meant Hicks never having touched anything to do with the Stars or Rangers. Another owner could have signed Belfour and Hull and the team could have still won a Cup without him. I wish someone would kidnap him and drop him off in a pub in Liverpool around midnight.

ohhhhh without belfour? Idk if we win a cup... but ya, tom hicks can burn in a hole

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohhhhh without belfour? Idk if we win a cup... but ya, tom hicks can burn in a hole

I meant that any other owner could just as easily have signed Belfour for the Stars and won the Cup. Translation: The Stars never needed Hicks to win the Cup.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to the game to the game tonight! 1st row, second deck. I hope we keep closing the gap for the 8th seed

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I sold my tickets to some other family members, but then regretted it this morning and looked every where on craiglist, stubhub, etc for tickets. All are so expensive... have fun!

Some things to watch for that you dont really see that well on tv:

1) I love Val, and I think he's gonna be a great player but HOLY SHIT HE HOLDS ONTO THE PUCK FOR TOO LONG! Just watch him. Whenever he has the puck deep in the offensive zone he just keeps twisting and turning til he turns it over. PASS IT!. And then whenever he has the puck in front of the net, instead of just SHOOTING IT, he freakin tries to deke the goalie EVERY TIME! Pisses me off to no end. He just needs to get rid of the puck. He's young, so he'll learn, but on tv you dont really see how bad this issue is with him.

2) Goligoski is playing much better lately. He's been our best defenseman lately, and you really get a glimpse of that live. If he's by himself on a two on one he almost always pokechecks it away successfully

3) Connauton... jeez

4) Roussel and Garbutt talk shit THE ENTIRE GAME. Watch them on the ice and they're always turning the other team's heads.

5) Seguin is the fastest player on the ice by far. No one can outskate him. He's probably one of the fastest in the nhl. He'll take the puck from behind our own net and he'll weave in and out of everyone from the other team until he's ready to pass it across the ice in the offensive zone. He's our most fun player to watch.

Wish I could be there. Big game tonight, hopefully we get 2

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, I sold my tickets to some other family members, but then regretted it this morning and looked every where on craiglist, stubhub, etc for tickets. All are so expensive... have fun!

Some things to watch for that you dont really see that well on tv:

1) I love Val, and I think he's gonna be a great player but HOLY SHIT HE HOLDS ONTO THE PUCK FOR TOO LONG! Just watch him. Whenever he has the puck deep in the offensive zone he just keeps twisting and turning til he turns it over. PASS IT!. And then whenever he has the puck in front of the net, instead of just SHOOTING IT, he freakin tries to deke the goalie EVERY TIME! Pisses me off to no end. He just needs to get rid of the puck. He's young, so he'll learn, but on tv you dont really see how bad this issue is with him.

2) Goligoski is playing much better lately. He's been our best defenseman lately, and you really get a glimpse of that live. If he's by himself on a two on one he almost always pokechecks it away successfully

3) Connauton... jeez

4) Roussel and Garbutt talk shit THE ENTIRE GAME. Watch them on the ice and they're always turning the other team's heads.

5) Seguin is the fastest player on the ice by far. No one can outskate him. He's probably one of the fastest in the nhl. He'll take the puck from behind our own net and he'll weave in and out of everyone from the other team until he's ready to pass it across the ice in the offensive zone. He's our most fun player to watch.

Wish I could be there. Big game tonight, hopefully we get 2

Oh I know Val holds onto it. He's very good at using his big frame and shielding the defender, but you're right he holds onto it too long sometimes.

terpsfball09

Crabcakes and ACL tears
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know Val holds onto it. He's very good at using his big frame and shielding the defender, but you're right he holds onto it too long sometimes.

ALL THE TIME! Its freakin aggravating. He literally does on the majority of his touches. He's very jagr esque by putting his body in between the puck and the defender, but he doesnt have to do that all the time. And oh... just wait til he has the puck and a lane to shoot. Almost like clockwork, he doesnt take the first shot and tries to skate around the goalie until the lane is closed or he turns it over

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ALL THE TIME! Its freakin aggravating. He literally does on the majority of his touches. He's very jagr esque by putting his body in between the puck and the defender, but he doesnt have to do that all the time. And oh... just wait til he has the puck and a lane to shoot. Almost like clockwork, he doesnt take the first shot and tries to skate around the goalie until the lane is closed or he turns it over

Did you get an email back?