• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Disappointing Finishes to Niners' Last 2 seasons

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 and 2012 were excellent seasons for the Niners, but bad endings unfortunately. Now I know how the Texas Rangers felt in 2010 and 2011.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 and 2012 were excellent seasons for the Niners, but bad endings unfortunately. Now I know how the Texas Rangers felt in 2010 and 2011.

The rangers never won one.

They should feel lucky to be in the conversation.

Maybe i do feel entitlted as a niner fan but I know how it is to expect excellence from my team.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more synonymous with the the Raiders v Patriots. They were robbed in that game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more synonymous with the the Raiders v Patriots. They were robbed in that game.

True dat. If officials make the right call there, Niners are almost certain to punch that in for a TD. Ravens almost certainly would've still had time, though, to get a FG. I just wish the Niners could've played a little better. Overall, I would give them a C or C+ for their performance. Didn't show up until 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really, the refs stole it? You're better than that, cal.

Yes they missed a call, but it was very close and considering the point in the game and the magnitude of the game that wasn't the most egregious noncall ever. Let's be honest where Kap threw that ball he wasn't going to catch it inbounds even unimpeded (Kap's strength to date is not fading lobs to the end zone corner). The tuck rule game was way worse.

Clearly on gameday the Niners got outplayed. They probably win that game more often than not but they just got outplayed, especially their defense.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True dat. If officials make the right call there, Niners are almost certain to punch that in for a TD. Ravens almost certainly would've still had time, though, to get a FG. I just wish the Niners could've played a little better. Overall, I would give them a C or C+ for their performance. Didn't show up until 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Didn't show up until the blackout...

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The rangers never won one.

They should feel lucky to be in the conversation.

Maybe i do feel entitlted as a niner fan but I know how it is to expect excellence from my team.

I'm sure it was Bill Walsh that caused the power outage, as disgusted as he surely was with the sloppy play the niners put out there.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes they missed a call, but it was very close and considering the point in the game and the magnitude of the game that wasn't the most egregious noncall ever. Let's be honest where Kap threw that ball he wasn't going to catch it inbounds even unimpeded (Kap's strength to date is not fading lobs to the end zone corner). The tuck rule game was way worse.

Clearly on gameday the Niners got outplayed. They probably win that game more often than not but they just got outplayed, especially their defense.

No doubt, the Niners played like crap for the first half. I am not arguing differently.

However the game is 60 minutes, not 58:30. For the refs to allow r*pe in the endzone on 2 plays in the pinnacle drive of the game is absolutely unacceptable.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt, the Niners played like crap for the first half. I am not arguing differently.

However the game is 60 minutes, not 58:30. For the refs to allow r*pe in the endzone on 2 plays in the pinnacle drive of the game is absolutely unacceptable.

Fair enough, but reverse the teams and we'd be here saying 'maybe it was a penalty but it wasn't a catchable ball and anyway our guys deserved to win that game' (and I'm using 'our guys' loosely here as I'm not a true Niner fan but was very much rooting for them).

One problem with all sports is officiating, there's simply no such thing as a perfectly called game, and in the bigger games the mistakes stand out more, but I think we agree the team that played the best yesterday won the game.

:2cents:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough, but reverse the teams and we'd be here saying 'maybe it was a penalty but it wasn't a catchable ball and anyway our guys deserved to win that game' (and I'm using 'our guys' loosely here as I'm not a true Niner fan but was very much rooting for them).

One problem with all sports is officiating, there's simply no such thing as a perfectly called game, and in the bigger games the mistakes stand out more, but I think we agree the team that played the best yesterday won the game.

I think it was still catchable, but whether it was or wasn't wouldn't have mattered if the call was defensive holding. Anyway, even if the Niners punch it in there, the Ravens still had time to score, so I don't equate the missed call with the refs costing us the game. It was definitely unfair IMO, and we got screwed out of an opportunity to win the game, but the Ravens still definitely had a good shot of winning even if they make that call, especially with the way our secondary was getting burned.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it was still catchable, but whether it was or wasn't wouldn't have mattered if the call was defensive holding. Anyway, even if the Niners punch it in there, the Ravens still had time to score, so I don't equate the missed call with the refs costing us the game. It was definitely unfair IMO, and we got screwed out of an opportunity to win the game, but the Ravens still definitely had a good shot of winning even if they make that call, especially with the way our secondary was getting burned.

I'm in this line. Still, I give the Ravens credit for forcing the Niners to throw the ball from their base offensive unit every time they got inside the ten. Would have loved it had the niners gone empty backfield with a spread to allow Kap to work in space. With the personal on the field there were only so many formations that Kap could audible to.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not neccisarily conceed that the Ravens played a better game. The niners shat the bed in the first half. The Ravens shat the bed in the second half. The difference was that the Ravens had 3(ish) big non-calls go in their favor (ejection in first half; PI and holding on final drive).

I am not saying that the Niners DEFINATELY would have won had these calls gone differently. Williams is not Ed Reed. If the Niners score on the final drive, they would have only been up a FG, and the Ravens would have had 1:30 to drive the field.

What I am saying is that the refs changed the broadcast feed to Heidi without letting the game actually play out.

I will be able to acknowledge that it was a good game in time. Right now I am just pissed at the screw job that was leveled against the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not neccisarily conceed that the Ravens played a better game. The niners shat the bed in the first half. The Ravens shat the bed in the second half. The difference was that the Ravens had 3(ish) big non-calls go in their favor (ejection in first half; PI and holding on final drive).

I am not saying that the Niners DEFINATELY would have won had these calls gone differently. Williams is not Ed Reed. If the Niners score on the final drive, they would have only been up a FG, and the Ravens would have had 1:30 to drive the field.

What I am saying is that the refs changed the broadcast feed to Heidi without letting the game actually play out.

I will be able to acknowledge that it was a good game in time. Right now I am just pissed at the screw job that was leveled against the team.

I'm in that neighborhood, too. It didn't affect anything, but the replays of the safety clearly showed two Ravens in the middle of the field with arms wrapped around 49er rushers. Would not have saved any seconds (which were more important than yards), but that sort of blatant non-call seemed to be the rule of the day at the end.

Of course, if I were a Ravens fan, my glasses would have been of a different color and prescription.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in that neighborhood, too. It didn't affect anything, but the replays of the safety clearly showed two Ravens in the middle of the field with arms wrapped around 49er rushers. Would not have saved any seconds (which were more important than yards), but that sort of blatant non-call seemed to be the rule of the day at the end.

Of course, if I were a Ravens fan, my glasses would have been of a different color and prescription.

Absolutely!

If the Niners had won through bad calls, I would still be psyched that we won our 6th trophy. A win is a win. I would feel for the Ravens, but I would celebrate my win.

But as it is, I am pissed that the Niners ran into a zebra-painted brick wall at the end of that game.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...

Which loss hurt more?

NCF Championship game with 2 fumbles by a player out of position on special teams?

or

SB with bad DB play and the refs ignoring blatant muggings?

I say the SB because I feel the game was taken out of our hands. The NCFC was lost by our own doing. I can swallow that easier. It was also a solidly played game by both teams.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...

Which loss hurt more?

NCF Championship game with 2 fumbles by a player out of position on special teams?

or

SB with bad DB play and the refs ignoring blatant muggings?

I say the SB because I feel the game was taken out of our hands. The NCFC was lost by our own doing. I can swallow that easier. It was also a solidly played game by both teams.

I think the NY Giants game last year hurt worse. I hate the Giants and their cocky east coast biased supporters. They were lucky to win that game.

I don't really hate the Ravens, and after the first half, I was very pleased with how the Niners played in coming back. I was fully expecting them to win the game 37-34.

2011-2012- Lost in NFC championship game

2012-2013- Lost in the Super Bowl

2013-2014- ???? (I like the direction this goes (not the losing, but getting closer to #6.))

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NY Giants game last year hurt worse. I hate the Giants and their cocky east coast biased supporters. They were lucky to win that game.

I don't really hate the Ravens, and after the first half, I was very pleased with how the Niners played in coming back. I was fully expecting them to win the game 37-34.

2011-2012- Lost in NFC championship game

2012-2013- Lost in the Super Bowl

2013-2014- ???? (I like the direction this goes (not the losing, but getting closer to #6.))

Those playoff losses to the Giants in '87, '91 and last year will always sting. Losing yesterday will sting, too, but the Ravens aren't a rival like the Giants.

#6 and #7 before the end of the Harbaugh/Baalke Era. I believe. We're just at the beginning chapters fellas.

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tolbert's interview of Ted Robinson is a good listen - probably not on the website yet, some highlights:

His take on the illegal formation: scripted play that they had practiced about ten times. Coaches said that it's typical for the refs to let the first one "like that" go, but warn the player that they won't let it slide "next time". For you tin-foilers out there - the same ref who made that call made the no-call on the crab fourth down play.

Coaches thought Boldin was the player of the game.

Coaches said Culliver getting beat deep was due to a last second defensive call that resulted in miscommunication.

On the final series:

On the roll out - coaches thought Kap missed an open Moss dragging across the end zone, and he might have been hesitant to throw it because that same play had resulted in a pick in Seattle.

On the throw to the crabs in the flat: that ball is supposed to go to Walker at the goal line, and the coaches thought he was open.

On the no-call: coaches after initial film review are even more adamant that a flag should have been thrown.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This.

Pretender D.

It's a tribute to the Offense that they kept the Niners in the game at all. No pressure, one sack, horrific coverage.

As I said before the game: any team that erratic doesn't deserve the Lombardi. They were extremely lucky to win the NFC championship.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My anger is pointed at the defense. They've sucked for six games now. Ever since the meltdown in Foxboro. Not championship caliber, and the SB showed that.