• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely believe that. Haven't spent much time on Wylie myself, but given that most of it is SC, I can only imagine the crowd.

Never been on it but drove near it many times but I hear lake Hartwell is pretty bad now also. Not on the Lanier/Norman level but getting there.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOTE: Never mentioned this before but I did have a chance about 15 years ago to purchase a home on this lake and didn't. It wasn't anything nice, just a normal house and the dock access was limited. Part of me is kicking myself since the investment but the other part of me is glad I didn't.
ALso, I never had interest in owning a boat as the saying goes the two happiest days in a boat owner's life: the day they purchase it and the day they sell it.
Feel like this has happened with any medium-sized lake near big cities.

10+ years ago I crowed to my dad to buy a cottage or two in the Kawarthas (appx. 2 hrs NE of Toronto) because Muskoka was already too expensive for everyone but the ultra-rich and Simcoe (appx. 1 hr N of TO) was filling up quick. You could get waterfront land for under $200k at the time. Good luck today.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel like this has happened with any medium-sized lake near big cities.

10+ years ago I crowed to my dad to buy a cottage or two in the Kawarthas (appx. 2 hrs NE of Toronto) because Muskoka was already too expensive for everyone but the ultra-rich and Simcoe (appx. 1 hr N of TO) was filling up quick. You could get waterfront land for under $200k at the time. Good luck today.
That's exactly what we're grappling with. In two years our youngest will be out to college right as Intel, a bunch of their suppliers and Amazon will be opening new facilities about 10 miles from me. So our house will be due for downsizing right when it's value will double or more (and it's already up 50% from when we bought). Prime time to buy on a lake an hour or so out of town.

But those prices have gone code plaid in just the last 6 months too. Wish I'd have had the foresight to buy a few years ago. Even if I just bought the land then and sat on it.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea that these were local. I thought they were everywhere. I liked them when I was a kid, but not so much as a "grown up".

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had no idea that these were local. I thought they were everywhere. I liked them when I was a kid, but not so much as a "grown up".

Mrs 43's retirement plan is open a snowball stand / pit beef stand. Neither of those things are out here. We figure they will be wildly popular here once people discover them.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coronation Street was must watch tv for my mom...er mum.
Same. Still is sometimes.

It was for her mom too and she lived in a country that only had one TV channel until like the mid-90s. Goes to show how big Corrie was once upon a time.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you give you current employer notice you are leaving and your boss doesn't even ask why or where you are going, is that a sure sign you made the right choice?

Asking for a friend

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you give you current employer notice you are leaving and your boss doesn't even ask why or where you are going, is that a sure sign you made the right choice?

Asking for a friend
Could just mean that your boss is jealous you're getting out of that peepee soaked heck hole and he/she isn't...

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Asking for a friend

I once had a boss ask me when I gave my two weeks notice if I had left any code behind in the system that could potentially cause damage after I left. I looked at him and said "Thanks for confirming that I made the right decision".

Status
Not open for further replies.