• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He supposedly shouted after the incident “rupturing your balls with my fist is racing”

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Savannah the only reason for me is the weather in the summer but I guess I would get used to the awful humidity. Been to Charleston once and loved that city.

But you are correct about Raleigh, been there a few times and it is a nice city. The downtown is smaller than you think but very nice areas around the city.

Charlotte is good option, I do know a few folks that live across the border in Rock Hill SC, but work in Charlotte, due to the better taxes. But never heard bad about the area.

On the other hand other cities in NC like Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Durham and Fayetteville I haven't heard much nice about those.

Let me add, a small city in that area you would never know is nice is downtown Greenville SC. I am not sure if I could live in SC, but they built up that city very nicely from its very sketchy past.

Then Asheville is very cool mountain city.
My sister lives in SC across the lake from Charlotte. Nice place, downtown is real clean and feels safe. People are really friendly, although I did a small experiment there once and found that the friendless is directly related to your accent. The more southern you sound, the nicer they are. Further south outside of Charlotte gets rednecky fast.

Both of her daughters went to Charleston for college, and it's one of my favorite places to visit. Folley Beach is amazing. It is a tad weird to buy souvenirs and trinkets in the place people used to buy slaves, though.

Have friends in Raliegh, and locals do call Cary, NC "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" for a reason. Again, clean and very friendly.

Winston Salem is a hole. Fayetteville is pretty much just a college town but for a military base. I have a cousin who lives there. Not a ton to do but there is some great hiking not far away. Up along the Cape Fear river.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a tad weird to buy souvenirs and trinkets in the place people used to buy slaves, though.
It's kinda like with former plantations - the best strawberry ice cream i've ever had was at a plantation outside Charleston. It did strike me as kinda weird that I was probably sitting where the hot box used to be cooling down with some dessert.

That said, I hate the push against former plantation sites. I can't speak for all of them but I've been to two and taken the tour each time and both were incredibly educational about slave life and the different kinds of horrors slaves would face that I otherwise wouldn't have known about.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's kinda like with former plantations - the best strawberry ice cream i've ever had was at a plantation outside Charleston. It did strike me as kinda weird that I was probably sitting where the hot box used to be cooling down with some dessert.

That said, I hate the push against former plantation sites. I can't speak for all of them but I've been to two and taken the tour each time and both were incredibly educational about slave life and the different kinds of horrors slaves would face that I otherwise wouldn't have known about.
Yeah, they do a good job with the history of the area and certainly down't downplay the gravity of the market, but it still doesn't cure the heebie jeebies you get when you are standing watching your wife buy some tea towels and you know that 200 years ago likely on that very spot someone bought a human being.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait, those poor people aren't getting paid to deal with those stupid, unruly drunken ass dickheads UNTIL the door gets closed?

WHAT THE FUCK

I guess I always assumed it was a salary job with a very whacked out schedule.
Oh no. They literally only got paid from door close to landing. Very shitty experience being a flight attendant.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny when in Charleston we went to the Boone Hall plantation. They made mention the movie the notebook was filmed in certain locations. You could only imagine the people taking pictures of the scene locations not even caring about the actual past of it.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean come on.....who wouldn't want to live where you could have horrible traffic, some of the worst pollen in the spring, borders FL/AL/TN/NC/SC and essentially if you don't live in or around Atlanta or Savannah have nothing but the best Trump supporters!
Even then Atlanta sucks royally whereas Savannah is nice to visit and that is it.

And we can't forget MTG!

The Buckhead area of Atlanta is very nice and I did spend some time in Savannah as well and would visit there again in a heartbeat. It's not exactly a short trip though lol
For a while my wife was not flying so we did MD-Texas drives a number of times over the course of a few years. Often we would stop in New Orleans for a day or two and somewhere in Georgia for a day or two. New Orleans was fun but I was much younger than and I am not sure I would like it as much now.
In Georgia we would stay in Athens usually but stayed in Atlanta once. Athens was super cheap and we could walk everywhere and for us at that time had decent bars and music. Atlanta was expensive and at least where we were there was nothing to do*. lol everyone told us we "had to see the Underground"! It was fine, but was basically a mall below street level.

Charlotte seemed nice but I was only there a day. Montgomery AL was what you would expect. We sat outside the country bar in the hotel and heard many bottles being thrown and no one thought it was a big deal.

*Mostly pre-internet so we had to rely on Frommers and other guides on where to stay. Frommers screwed us into sharing bathrooms in one New Orleans hotel.

(Also this was 20 years ago so I'm sure the places have changed)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots to catch up on here. I won't quote posts to keep the length of this one down, but here are my takes, in no particular order:

1) Charleston and Savanah are both lovely places to visit but offer little for residents unless you have the money to be in or very close to the city centers. Both cities have significant problems that are just barely below the surface that still exist from the Civil War through Civil Rights eras.

2) Atlanta still has some great spots, but really blew it on their downtown core. Like, blew it worse than they did at keeping hockey teams. Midtown is great though and Buckhead still has some great areas. The northern suburbs are white as hell and - as was pointed out - have nightmarish traffic.

3) Charlotte and the Triangle area of NC (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) are what I call the "builder basic" of cities. Both have experienced such explosive growth in the last 20 years that they've erased much of their history and character in favor of unchecked growth and gentrification.

4) Raleigh pulls a more educated crowd because of all of the universities in the area.

5) Charlotte pulls a banker bros crowd vs Raleigh's more pharma and tech focus.

6) Both cities have done a worse job than you can imagine keeping up with infrastructure. Public transit ranges from a joke to virtually non-existent for 90% of the population. Both are among the least walkable cities in America and both have some of worst parks systems in America.

7) The NC state legislature, moreso than most states, is structured in a way to give undue power based on geography rather than population. As a result, the urban/rural blue/red divide gives more power to the rural/red areas. As a result, the state legislature, oddly enough located in Raleigh, is openly hostile to both cities, Charlotte moreso than Raleigh, despite those cities being the overwhelming majority of the state's economy.

8) Anyone who says they live in Rock Hill because of cheaper taxes is telling themselves lies to feel better about living in Rock Hill, unless they also work in Rock Hill or further away from the city. The commute is abysmal, the schools are, generally speaking, much worse (I say generally because our district is enormous, covering the entire county, and so it naturally includes both some of the best and worst schools in the state), and poor public services.

9) Asheville is a beautiful town. Douche bros have realized this and it's being overrun by people attempting to turn it into an Austin clone. The city is, thus far, having some success in stopping this due to a combination of the city's natural geography and strong residential advocacy policies.

10) Greenville, SC is also a beautiful town. Easily the best in SC.

11) Wilmington, NC is the best of the semi-major Atlantic coast cities between NC, SC, and GA. The Outer Banks, especially the southern segment, is the most scenic part of the same section of coast.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11) Wilmington, NC is the best of the semi-major Atlantic coast cities between NC, SC, and GA. The Outer Banks, especially the southern segment, is the most scenic part of the same section of coast.
I need to get back to visit the Emerald Isle area. They've kept development in check with an ordinance that keeps all buildings 3 stories or less. At least it was that way 20 years ago the last time we visited.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8) Anyone who says they live in Rock Hill because of cheaper taxes is telling themselves lies to feel better about living in Rock Hill, unless they also work in Rock Hill or further away from the city. The commute is abysmal, the schools are, generally speaking, much worse (I say generally because our district is enormous, covering the entire county, and so it naturally includes both some of the best and worst schools in the state), and poor public services.

9) Asheville is a beautiful town. Douche bros have realized this and it's being overrun by people attempting to turn it into an Austin clone. The city is, thus far, having some success in stopping this due to a combination of the city's natural geography and strong residential advocacy policies.

10) Greenville, SC is also a beautiful town. Easily the best in SC.
Funny you mention about Rock Hill. I have heard that many times over and makes sense but the folks that told me this don't have kids in schools. I honestly thought that why would anyone with kids live in most of SC?

Asheville I didn't notice that but with all the microbrews it seems fitting. Glad they are trying to stop it because it is a cool city.

Greenville the downtown and the swamp rabbit trail/path makes it a great city. Very walkable and has done some amazing transformation and is continuing. Soon this hotel will be opening right on the river: Overview will be a great place to stay.
Also in Greenville was at one of the coolest speakeasy's with great drinks called vault and valor.

I know Greenville gets lumped into Spartanburg which is nowhere near what Greenville is. It is not much of a downtown area with the biggest thing I remember is the Denny's headquarters along with the Carolina Panthers training camp complex.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny you mention about Rock Hill. I have heard that many times over and makes sense but the folks that told me this don't have kids in schools. I honestly thought that why would anyone with kids live in most of SC?

I know Greenville gets lumped into Spartanburg which is nowhere near what Greenville is. It is not much of a downtown area with the biggest thing I remember is the Denny's headquarters along with the Carolina Panthers training camp complex.
On your first point, I don't have kids (and never will) either, but I still look at schools because it's good for property values. Not sure if they're doing the same. Next time you talk to them, ask them their thoughts on Rock Hill's deal with the Panthers. Just be prepared to :behindsofa:

Spartanburg is...odd. You're right that they get lumped together, but they are worlds apart. That Denny's HQ building, which was really a BB&T (now Truist) bank building is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen, at least in the way it stands out from its surroundings. Regarding the Panthers (hey, this ties in to my last paragraph), the old owner, Jerry "Happy Hands" Richardson, was a Wofford alum and, until the last decade, the only Wofford alum to ever make the NFL, which is why they ended up down there.

Also in Spartanburg, the Beacon is (was? not honestly sure if they survived covid, but I hope so) one of America's greatest restaurants (not literally, but if you've been there, you know what I mean) and the tiny little downtown is nice. But otherwise, I'll just leave this:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to get back to visit the Emerald Isle area. They've kept development in check with an ordinance that keeps all buildings 3 stories or less. At least it was that way 20 years ago the last time we visited.
Emerald Isle area is lovely. I think they've had some luck still on the island itself, but the development on the main land near the Crossings is spreading.

What makes the Outer Banks as a whole so gorgeous is that most (maybe all, I'm not sure) of it is protected in some way by a mix of local, state, and federal wildlife and environmental laws. The upper part around Duck feels like any other coastal tourist town, but when you make your way down to Hatteras and Ocracoke and even more if you continue down to Lookout, development is virtually non-existent for large stretches.

And visiting the Shackleford Banks should be on every person's bucket list (just not in the summer). A completely undeveloped island (not even a single toilet or trash bin) with wild horses and tiny little crabs that's federally protected where you can get dropped off and picked up by boat, but literally everything is pack in pack out. It's something like 8.5 miles long and if you're there at the right time you can get dropped off at one end, hike all the way across and picked up at the other.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of my tweets was liked 3000 times, is Elon supposed to send me a t-shirt now?
Are people in Hollywood going to send me some scrips to punch up? I know that punch up does not mean to add an incestuous subplot. I made that mistake and learned from it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've gone to Holden Beach the last few years and we went to Wilmington last year for a day. Beautiful city. Very much a similar vibe to Charleston, IMO.

What makes the Outer Banks as a whole so gorgeous is that most (maybe all, I'm not sure) of it is protected in some way by a mix of local, state, and federal wildlife and environmental laws. The upper part around Duck feels like any other coastal tourist town, but when you make your way down to Hatteras and Ocracoke and even more if you continue down to Lookout, development is virtually non-existent for large stretches.
That's why we keep going back. Having grown up in Maryland and having Atlantic City, Kennywood, Rehoboth and Ocean City all be dirty over-run places we'd go to every summer, it was really nice to go to the outer banks where it's much more laid back and less mini-golf centric. We're not going this year, but will likely go back next year.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just learned what the term "backdoor pilot" means. Wow! I have been wrong, way wrong, about that for years. Some of the looks I got, I now understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.