• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zz2nx7rwivw81.jpg

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prom weekend here so I spent some time today looking at Facebook photos of my friend's pictures of their kids dressed up. All the ones of daughters wearing their dresses I commented "Is she pregnant? Looks pregnant".

Wonder why I'm not invited anywhere...

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just interviewed for a job with a company in Redmond WA. They would want me to relocate.

Looking at house prices there, I would need to sell a TON of smuggled hot dogs in Canada to make up that difference.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just interviewed for a job with a company in Redmond WA. They would want me to relocate.

Looking at house prices there, I would need to sell a TON of smuggled hot dogs in Canada to make up that difference.

My wife and I keep going back and forth on whether or not we should cash in and possibly head back to Alberta. Two things are keeping me on the island though:

1. The weather (although this spring has been very rainy)
2. The current political climate in Alberta

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife and I keep going back and forth on whether or not we should cash in and possibly head back to Alberta. Two things are keeping me on the island though:

1. The weather (although this spring has been very rainy)
2. The current political climate in Alberta
Other than Jason Kenney dum dum what exactly about AB politics is vastly different than BC?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than Jason Kenney dum dum what exactly about AB politics is vastly different than BC?

They just seem reluctant to diversify the Alberta economy for one and it looks like Alberta won't be a desirable place to be in the foreseeable future. Could that change with a new premier? Maybe, but it's not looking good right now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just seem reluctant to diversify the Alberta economy for one and it looks like Alberta won't be a desirable place to be in the foreseeable future. Could that change with a new premier? Maybe, but it's not looking good right now.
That has historically been Alberta's MO but I feel like it's going to diversify whether the government pushes it to or not just by virtue of the number of people who are going to be moving there in the near future because it's the only province with affordable big cities at this point outside Ontario. Those people eventually innovate, start businesses, attract more young people to work those jobs, etc.

The municipal governments in Calgary and Edmonton are a lot farther on the progressive side these days than the provincial one, too. That helps.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That has historically been Alberta's MO but I feel like it's going to diversify whether the government pushes it to or not just by virtue of the number of people who are going to be moving there in the near future because it's the only province with affordable big cities at this point outside Ontario. Those people eventually innovate, start businesses, attract more young people to work those jobs, etc.

The municipal governments in Calgary and Edmonton are a lot farther on the progressive side these days than the provincial one, too. That helps.
As someone who lives in a state where the state government is openly hostile to its biggest cities, and has the power to stop the cities, how do things work at the provincial level in Canada?

Do the cities generally have enough power and/or influence to really make a difference at the provincial level?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone who lives in a state where the state government is openly hostile to its biggest cities, and has the power to stop the cities, how do things work at the provincial level in Canada?

Do the cities generally have enough power and/or influence to really make a difference at the provincial level?
Provinces have overall authority but it’s rare that they interfere municipally.

Most municipalities, even major cities, still kinda straddle the center line politically to avoid pissing off the provincial government of the day but once in a while things do happen - ie: Doug Ford coming outta nowhere and slashing Toronto’s number of councilors by a third, or his Liberal predecessor Kathleen Wynne blocking the city from tolling the Gardiner and Don Valley Parkway because she knew not acting would cost her suburban votes.

buffhockey

When the musics over
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A truck loaded with thousands of copies of Roget's Thesaurus spilled its load leaving New York. Witnesses were stunned, startled, aghast, stupefied, shocked, rattled, dazed, bewildered, surprised, dumbfounded, flabbergasted, confounded, and astonished.

Status
Not open for further replies.