• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bullshitting at the Barbershop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He puts an addictive chemical in his firelog that makes you crave it fortnightly smartass...Now coming to Canada.

KFC_Canada_KFC_s_11_Herbs_And_Spices_Firelog_is_Coming_to_Canada.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty cool to see that they have so much wind and hydro capacity to meet periods of higher demand rather than necessarily having to fall back on the huge amount of natural gas capacity.
My guess is in the summer it gets used extensively due to AC but if its only temporary it's still better than most. I mean, look at Australia. Even Europe - Germany, the UK, the Netherlands etc. are all burning a shit ton of gas and coal. And Germany is getting rid of their nukes! They're actively pursuing worse emissions from electricity generation. I don't know if there's another country on earth right now outside the US doing that.

The thing with Ontario is the current situation came at a pretty steep cost - the previous provincial government closed all coal-fired plants without having any alternative generating capacity at the time which meant they had to buy a shit ton of power from Quebec and Michigan (In Michigan's case, most of which was coal-generated lol) until they could figure it out. It cost a fortune, power bills nearly tripled to the point where the government had to offer credits of 25% to customers because people were starting to struggle to pay both electric and rent. It's a big reason why people in Ontario were so anti-carbon tax - they felt like they were already paying one.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is in the summer it gets used extensively due to AC but if its only temporary it's still better than most. I mean, look at Australia. Even Europe - Germany, the UK, the Netherlands etc. are all burning a shit ton of gas and coal. And Germany is getting rid of their nukes! They're actively pursuing worse emissions from electricity generation. I don't know if there's another country on earth right now outside the US doing that.

The thing with Ontario is the current situation came at a pretty steep cost - the previous provincial government closed all coal-fired plants without having any alternative generating capacity at the time which meant they had to buy a shit ton of power from Quebec and Michigan (In Michigan's case, most of which was coal-generated lol) until they could figure it out. It cost a fortune, power bills nearly tripled to the point where the government had to offer credits of 25% to customers because people were starting to struggle to pay both electric and rent. It's a big reason why people in Ontario were so anti-carbon tax - they felt like they were already paying one.
The only other one that comes to mind is Japan who is obviously a little nuke-shy in the aftermath of Fukushima.

I can understand a place like Japan being in such a seismic and typhoon heavy part of the world having to take some time and re-visit its strategy, but yeah, Germany shutting down doesn't make as much sense, but was also significantly less installed capacity to start with. I know they've been ramping up big on solar and wind, so hopefully they're just entering the temporary phase where things get worse before improving significantly while they complete the switchover.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
see if you can tell when:
1. McDonalds announces their own McPlant burger products
2. Beyond says, yeah, actually, we partnered with McDonalds on that

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on this day in 1997 - the Montreal Screw Job
I'm not a huge wrestling guy, but this interview is amazing

The really amazing thing about this episode is just how wide-ranging an impact it had. The company made a massive change in how they entertain and operate based almost entirely on the aftermath of this one incident. It completely turned around a battle it was losing to a rival organization and wound up becoming an enterprise worth billions. Very good chance none of that happens if this doesn't play out the way it did.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like a broadcaster named Kenneth Copeland has been hired as the new host of Jeopardy.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a friend whos a realtor and he posted this to facebook ...

Its great when u go on a buyers tour and your buyer is excited to see a 1 bed & den condo because its listed as a 2 bedroom and when you show up you think this is perfect because this cozy second bedroom has a window
DUPED WITH THE OLD BAIT & SWITCH

7E8D8601-D90E-45C3-A7B1-7AA466592223.jpeg627DEAE2-1D9B-46FC-AFAC-FD15BC0A1EFC.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.