• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the article:

Spott was complimentary of Kessel, telling his audience that the winger is one of the smartest hockey minds he’s worked with. Spott also marvelled at how Kessel — who Spott estimated during the lecture is “15 pounds overweight” — remains an explosive speedster.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the article:

Spott was complimentary of Kessel, telling his audience that the winger is one of the smartest hockey minds he’s worked with. Spott also marvelled at how Kessel — who Spott estimated during the lecture is “15 pounds overweight” — remains an explosive speedster.

15 pounds overweight happens with athletes. I think Kessel's gone into every camp 15 lbs over what he should be. That's what camp is for.

Guy looks like he's 40-50 lbs over right now.

Also, did he really have to say "Kessel hates coaches"? What the fuck happens now when they want to trade his fat ass?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck happens now when they want to trade his fat ass?

They get a forklift?

peter_griffin.jpg

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to read the URL on this link like 10 times to make sure it wasn't The Onion.

Is Spott fucking insane?? Whether or not Kessel pulled that bullshit or not you don't air that in public.

I really see no way this can end badly. :L

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to read the URL on this link like 10 times to make sure it wasn't The Onion.

Is Spott fucking insane?? Whether or not Kessel pulled that bullshit or not you don't air that in public.

I really see no way this can end badly. :L

It's going to be a great, great year for Leaf haters. Bountiful harvest awaits.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, since we're fucking Toronto…

Leafs? Kessel not hot on Spott?s breakout strategy: Feschuk | Toronto Star

Like, fucking training camp hasn't even started yet...:doh:

From the article:

It's going to be a great, great year for Leaf haters. Bountiful harvest awaits.

Meh. If Kessel already hated his coaches this doesn't really change anything.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Thornton is no longer captain of the San Jose Sharks, but said he will be one of many.

"We're going to have to have 23 captains on the team this year. It doesn't matter who has it or who doesn't have it. We all have to come together and be leaders," Thornton told the San Jose Mercury News on Wednesday. "It's up to Todd and Doug who they pick and we'll end up supporting whoever they choose as captain."

Joe Thornton of San Jose Sharks talks about new captain - NHL.com - News

deadpoetssociety1989cd2-avi_003839798.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. If Kessel already hated his coaches this doesn't really change anything.

Thing is, who the hell actually likes their coaches? Ask how many NHLers how much they enjoy having three authoritative voices harping on them every time they get back to the bench; my guess is there will be a lot of swearing involved.

But in this city, you say shit like that and you know (or at least you should know) that you just made the next week's topic of discussion "Hey Phil, why do you hate Randy? Did he steal your toaster?" and that's the last distraction this fucking team needs right now.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National inflation has nothing to do with the matter at hand, especially considering that the bulk of NHL revenues are procured from two very different economies. Salary cap has gone up 15% since 2010-11. 115% of $6.3 million would be $7.25 million. With the new TV revenue, that representation will likely be pushing $8 million in a year or two.

Ryan Johansen hasn't won a Stanley Cup and that obviously separates him from the Toews and Kane deals of 2010, but he also hasn't played in front of Norris candidate defencemen or alongside established NHL stars like Patrick Sharp or Marian Hossa. He isn't coached by Joel Quenneville and, not to be a dick but he isn't living in Chicago. And he still looks like he might be as good as Toews.

But more than anything, he isn't showing any more greed than the management of the team with the second-lowest payroll in the National Hockey League is. This public airing of negotiations by management will only serve to piss the player off and give him something to remember when he comes closer to being a UFA.

The emphasis being the important part. He might be as good as Toews. And he might be the next Pat Falloon. He has two significant seasons:
1) He was benched, sent to the minors and benched again
2) He carried the team into the playoffs and set up the biggest goal in team history on his own.

All the team is asking is for him to prove which one was the fluke and have given him three options. One to get paid like a star once he proves he can sustain. And two that pay him close to the level he's earned right now but give him long term stability he allegedly craves.

And it's a negotiation, as a fan of the team I would *love* to see him for six years at 5.33 because in 3 years that's very likely the bargain of the century. But they can come back with a slightly higher request and it probably gets done. If he said he wants 6 - 6.25 over 6 or 8 years, I seriously doubt the Jackets say no. But they came back with 8.5 or 9.

Jarmo mentioned Jamie Benn in his presser yesterday, and that right there is the most perfect comparison. Young, similar team around them and nearly identical impact on their city, team and organization. And he signed 5 @ 5.25. Benn's a winger, and Centers are worth more. So, as I said, 6 - 6.25 for 6 years should get it done. I hope.

We need to stop talking what could be's and start talking what is's. Stop comparing him to UFAs and people he could be as good as in the future. Right now, the offer was fair, albeit a bit low. There is room to move up.

Johansen, unfortunately, has an agent that wants his name in the paper as much as the kid's. And that guy is more concerned with his own pockets than Johansen's career.

I bet he's happy about this:
MORE LEVERAGE

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Apparently in Teemu's upcoming book. About Boudreau.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goalie situation frustrates Wild coach Yeo | Star Tribune

Harding update:
Josh Harding, arguably the Wild’s No. 1 goaltender heading into Thursday’s training camp, broke his right foot while kicking a wall after an off-ice altercation with a teammate and is expected to miss at least two or three months. And unsigned goalie Darcy Kuem- per was embroiled in a contract dispute that if not rectified Thursday means he will at a minimum be a late arriver to camp and thus put him behind the 8-ball.

:L

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The emphasis being the important part. He might be as good as Toews. And he might be the next Pat Falloon. He has two significant seasons:
1) He was benched, sent to the minors and benched again
2) He carried the team into the playoffs and set up the biggest goal in team history on his own.

All the team is asking is for him to prove which one was the fluke and have given him three options. One to get paid like a star once he proves he can sustain. And two that pay him close to the level he's earned right now but give him long term stability he allegedly craves.

And it's a negotiation, as a fan of the team I would *love* to see him for six years at 5.33 because in 3 years that's very likely the bargain of the century. But they can come back with a slightly higher request and it probably gets done. If he said he wants 6 - 6.25 over 6 or 8 years, I seriously doubt the Jackets say no. But they came back with 8.5 or 9.

Jarmo mentioned Jamie Benn in his presser yesterday, and that right there is the most perfect comparison. Young, similar team around them and nearly identical impact on their city, team and organization. And he signed 5 @ 5.25. Benn's a winger, and Centers are worth more. So, as I said, 6 - 6.25 for 6 years should get it done. I hope.

We need to stop talking what could be's and start talking what is's. Stop comparing him to UFAs and people he could be as good as in the future. Right now, the offer was fair, albeit a bit low. There is room to move up.

Johansen, unfortunately, has an agent that wants his name in the paper as much as the kid's. And that guy is more concerned with his own pockets than Johansen's career.

I bet he's happy about this:
MORE LEVERAGE

Whatever happens now, it should just be done quietly. Management has already ran the risk of alienating the player and his agent when he becomes a UFA. Cards have been laid on the table, shut up from here on out and negotiate.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Status
Not open for further replies.